Where do I find a good Breeder?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We plan on getting a new Cat in the Summer. I am looking at Rescues and Breeders. I want a place that takes good care of the Cats. It dosent matter if its a retired Cat or a Kitten. I would like a Cat that is already fixed with Shots if possible.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Visit the home and trust your first impressions. Check the overall health of the other animals and how well they are cared for. Are their coats clean and free of knots. Do they have any skin issues, Are they skiddish and run and hide. That would indicate if they have been well socialized. Do they love their owner or do they shy away. Why are they getting rid of the cat if it is older. Ask a lot of questions and they should also be asking you lots of questions if they are truly trying to find a good home for the cat. Ask for the names of other people they have sold cats to.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If looking for breeders, the best place to meet them is a cat show. It's a really great way to get to chat to people, and good breeders are happy to recommend others to you if they don't have exactly what you're looking for. You may also run into people showing cats in the alter classes who will happily recommend the breeder their cat came from (I've met up with Sonic's breeder at shows as I like to go watch even though I don't show, and on a couple of occasions I've been more than happy to recommend her in person to people at the show enquiring about her cats).

You can also contact various breed clubs who will have kitten lists and rehoming lists, they will likely know who has cats and kittens available of the breed they represent.

No matter what someones cats look like at a show though, the most important thing is temperament, a cat can be beautiful as anything but you need to be happy sharing the next 15-20 years with it! The best way to judge is to see the cats at the breeder's home/cattery and see for yourself how they interact with each other and humans, if that is at all possible. Personal recommendation is also useful but unless you already know breeders and the families their cats have been adopted by it can be a little tricky. But definitely a cat show is your best place to start asking around!

Can't help with the shelter aspect, but pick one that is clean and where the staff and volunteers can give you lots of information about the cats under their care, and will help you pick one out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I havent been to a Cat Show since we moved here. I used to go to the one in San Mateo and Haywad and Pleasanton. I even went to one in Reno. I will ask alot of questions. I just do not want to bring germs in my place. My oldest Cat will be 16 any day. I wonder if any cat shows are coming to my area?

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should quarantine any new animal that comes into the house for 2 weeks. Especially when you have an older cat as well. Just put the new kitty in a separate room and go in and spend time with them there. I know it sounds cruel but it is in the best interest of the older cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always worth being cautious about bringing germs home from a show or shelter, especially if you have an oldie
A shower and a change of clothes putting the old ones straight in the wash when you get home should be adequate preventative measures

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks for the help. I havent been to a Cat Show since we moved here. I used to go to the one in San Mateo and Haywad and Pleasanton. I even went to one in Reno. I will ask alot of questions. I just do not want to bring germs in my place. My oldest Cat will be 16 any day. I wonder if any cat shows are coming to my area?
There is a CFA show March 8-9 in Hayward, March 15-16 in San Jose, and March 29 in Stockton.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will go to one of the Shows. Start getting ideas now. We plan on buying a House before Summer. We want to be moved in before we get another Cat. I have been to one in San Jose too. I have 3 other Cats too. Meeko will be 8 in June. Sasha is 1.5 Years old and Oreo is only 6 Months. I will keep them seperate at first. Should I take it to my Vet too? Where is the Show in Stockton at? I trying to decide which show to go too.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Should I take it to my Vet too?
Absolutely, within the first few days. Most breeders have a health guarantee which is dependent upon you getting a vet check with your own vet within a certain time as specified in the contract. This is to check that the kitten left the breeder in good health, but it's always worth getting them on your vet's books/computer and a basic 'well-cat' checkup as soon as possible anyway.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think I will go to one of the Shows. Start getting ideas now. We plan on buying a House before Summer. We want to be moved in before we get another Cat. I have been to one in San Jose too. I have 3 other Cats too. Meeko will be 8 in June. Sasha is 1.5 Years old and Oreo is only 6 Months. I will keep them seperate at first. Should I take it to my Vet too? Where is the Show in Stockton at? I trying to decide which show to go too.
The show in Stockton will be at the San Joaquin Fair, bldg 2. Hours are 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Depending on where you are located, the show in Reno is currently being planned and will be in May, and there will be a show in Roseville in August.

It would be good for you to get to a show and meet some breeders. Talk with them, find out what kind of cat you want, get an idea of when litters are expected or if they currently have any cats/kittens. My contract states that the new cat/kitten needs to be seen within 3 business days. This not only makes sure the cat/kitten is healthy, but your vet will also have a good baseline to start with if the cat/kitten becomes sick.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stockton is only 28 miles from me. When I went to The Reno Cat Show it was 4 Hours away. Are there differant Breeds at the Shows. I went to a Cat show that only had a few Breeds there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most all breeders will require in the contracts that you have 2-3 days from the time you take your kitten home to have it examined by your own vet to ensure its healthy and no problem.

If you don't do that and the kitten gets sick in a few months then you have NOTHING to back you up and the contract is null/void as far as replacement kitten, etc.

Before you go to the show, why not write down some breeds you might be interested in so you are not overwhelmed

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a list of Breeds I like but there are about 10 Breeds on it. I am sure I can see the Vet within three days of getting the Cat.
This is my list of Breeds
Russian Blue
Siamese
Spinx
Manx
Bengal
Ocilot
Egyption Mau
Ragdoll
Tonkinese
Any Asian Type of Cat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a list of Breeds I like but there are about 10 Breeds on it. I am sure I can see the Vet within three days of getting the Cat.
This is my list of Breeds
Russian Blue
Siamese
Spinx Sphynx
Manx
Bengal
Ocilot Ocicat
Egyption Mau
Ragdoll
Tonkinese
Any Asian Type of Cat
Just for your info. Good luck in picking on out - most seem to be in about the same type of catagory as far as personality, activity or body type

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is quite a list you have there! Hopefully going to the show will help you to narrow it down a bit

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea the list is long.
I have time so I can narrow it down more. I might even see something else I like at a Cat Show.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yea the list is long.
I have time so I can narrow it down more. I might even see something else I like at a Cat Show.
You will end up with a list of 30 breeds, not good, you have to bite the bullet and make a decision at some point!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my top three Choices.
Sphynx
Siamese or Tonkinese
Russian Blue
I have one mostly Russian Blue already and two part Russian Blues.
I have a half Siamese too but she is black and white

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fine, but you might consider a "different" breed then the ones you have. Especially the RB - as they only come in one color and you might think the new one should behave like the old one. If you get something totally different looking/acting, you might be better off