My baby has a GIANT protruding fleshy tumor!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few months back, we took my senior cat (16-17 years old) Mutty to an emergency vet for a few reasons, one of which she had a little tiny hard ball underneath the fur on her stomach.

The vet told us it's "nothing to worry about, she's very healthy".

WELL a couple of days ago I picked her up, which I don't do very often because she hates it, and I felt a bulge that I couldn't even believe.

I looked at it and it's a giant fleshy growth that appears to be bleeding lightly in some spots and scabbing over.

What the HECK IS THIS!?

I got her into the vet as soon as possible, which is Tuesday afternoon, but from the second I noticed this I have been a nervous WRECK!

Someone please give some insight into this, PLEASE!!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

A few months back, we took my senior cat (16-17 years old) Mutty to an emergency vet for a few reasons, one of which she had a little tiny hard ball underneath the fur on her stomach.

The vet told us it's "nothing to worry about, she's very healthy".

WELL a couple of days ago I picked her up, which I don't do very often because she hates it, and I felt a bulge that I couldn't even believe.

I looked at it and it's a giant fleshy growth that appears to be bleeding lightly in some spots and scabbing over.

What the HECK IS THIS!?

I got her into the vet as soon as possible, which is Tuesday afternoon, but from the second I noticed this I have been a nervous WRECK!

Someone please give some insight into this, PLEASE!!!!

I'd call the vet back and get some kind of assurance that this isn't an emergency and perhaps they can give you an idea of what they "think" it may be - Tuesday is a long time to wait if it is bleeding and scabbing over. Perhaps you may need to take her to an emergency vet, if for no other reason than your peace of mind.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a long time to wait. I had a Cat with lump that turned out to be borderline Cancer and it was removed the same day I called. I do not know why they are making you wait so long. My Cats lump was on the breast and stuff was coming out of it. A month later it came back and was removed again. She was 4 and lived until age 11. It never came back after the 2nd time. I hope your Cat will be ok. She died from crl nothing to do with the lump.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an abcess of some sort. Older animals tend to get them and they are usually begnine but I wouldn't want to take that chance. I'd call the vet back too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know guys...and I would bring her to an ER vet if I could afford to.
My husband and I are borderlining in poverty right now.

I took some pictures:

Sounds like an abcess of some sort. Older animals tend to get them and they are usually begnine but I wouldn't want to take that chance.
That is a bit reassuring, do they remove them with ease??? It doesn't seem to be hurting her, except when I'm ripping the fur from where it is leaking.

I really do wish beyond anything we could bring her to an ER tonight but it's just not possible. I'm doing the best that I can. I feel so guilty. So so SOOOOOOOO guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can barely afford rent and food and I tried applying for carecredit and was denied.
I'm so scared. I feel so terrible!!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

That is a bit reassuring, do they remove them with ease??? It doesn't seem to be hurting her, except when I'm ripping the fur from where it is leaking.

I really do wish beyond anything we could bring her to an ER tonight but it's just not possible. I'm doing the best that I can. I feel so guilty. So so SOOOOOOOO guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can barely afford rent and food and I tried applying for carecredit and was denied.
I'm so scared. I feel so terrible!!!!
Don't beat your self up. If you didn't care you wouldn't be here.

The typically just drain it and yes, it's an easy procedure. My best friends dog lived to be something like 15 (she was a lab) and toward the end she had so many of these... it was hard not to giggle at her because she was so lumpy. She wasn't in any pain and the vet wanted to spare her the stress of removing them since they kept growing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call other vets and see if any can get you in early tomorrow or Saturday?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called every vet in the area trying to get a Saturday appointment and none were available until the end of the month. Receptionists don't seem to care about the urgency of the situation. I got the earliest appointment I could get.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stripe came home the same day her lump was removed. She did bleed some but was fine. Her Breast was removed at the same time. She was trying to jump on the counter the next day. Is there a cheaper vet you can try? Last March my Brothers Cat was very Sick and he tried to get Care Credit and was turned down too. My Dad Cosigned for him so he got it. Is there anyone that can help you?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How odd. I'm very used to this area not having really any waiting lists. You're only left waiting if the vet suddenly decides it's time for a scheduled at the last minute day off/vacation.

I hope it's just a abscess - at worst. Does it feel warm/hot to the touch? and does she seem to be licking at it a lot? I can't really tell from the pictures, is it under or near a nipple?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately no. My life would be a lot different if there were someone who could help me.

I have wonderful news though... I called and BEGGED the vet's office and they told me they had to run it by the doctor to squeeeeze her in for an emergency visit tonight and they said yes, the last appointment of the night.

Thank GOD.

And thank you all for, as always, providing me with support regarding my little angels.

I'll update when we get home!!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't even touch it. No licking or itching and she's a very , um, to put it bluntly, fat cat so it's hard to tell where it is. It honestly doesn't appear to be anywhere near her nipples, it's off on the side of her abdomen.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Well that rules out some possible causes. I hope all goes well at the vet appointment. Good luck!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well.... we did full bloodwork today, results should be back tomorrow afternoon and that'll tell us how to proceed.

The vet said the growth DOES look cancerous, however, it is located just below her skin and if it is cancer, there aren't any other areas of masses that she could feel during exam so chances are, it may not have spread.

That is *IF* it is cancer...which I'm praying to GOD that it isn't.

We find out more on how to proceed tomorrow and then schedule her for the tumor to be removed, as long as everything is healthy in the bloodwork.

She has lost two pounds since her last visit, but she's still 10 pounds, which the vet said is a very healthy weight for an older cat.

I'm trying to stay positive but I'm so scared. If it is cancer.......what are her chances???

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope it isnt Cancer. Stripe did have borderline Cancer. The Tumor was sent to Uc Davis. I was very scared at the time too. Her lump was ozzing stuff when i took her to the Vet.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long did she live for after this was found????

Should I prepare myself for the loss of my baby???

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mews kitty lived 7 years after that! She had it removed twice though. Sending that its easily removable!!