Myla knows!!!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok...this is actually pretty interesting. I am now a caretaker for my mom (as well as handling my own accounting business). Sadly, she is now confined to bed so it's up to me or the home health team to tend to her. Well, during the night it's only myself..and up to me to administer meds and other duties when she needs me. Myla seems to know the exact times my mom will be needing me so she does her little paw massaging on my neck as well as sticking her cold nose in my face just to make my tired booty up! Looks like my lil pest is good for something! (j/k!!! <333)

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took care of my grandma for several years and had simular experience with my birds. I have 2 cockatiels and they would scream and flap their wings when my grandma needed to be taken to the bathroom. They also would throw a fit if she stood up when we weren't with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thezookeeper

I took care of my grandma for several years and had simular experience with my birds. I have 2 cockatiels and they would scream and flap their wings when my grandma needed to be taken to the bathroom. They also would throw a fit if she stood up when we weren't with her.
Whoa! Crazy!

I'm serious....aren't our animals/birds the greatest?! <3

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

Whoa! Crazy!

I'm serious....aren't our animals/birds the greatest?! <3
Yes, they are. My father was prone to falling the last several years of his life, and he was supposed to use a cane for balance, but he didn't bother with it most of the time. One night a few years ago, he fell on his way back from the bathroom and struggled for half an hour before he was able to get up again (too proud to yell for help).

This made a big impression on Abby (Clyde's mom), the kitty who lives in Papa's room. The next time Papa went into the bathroom without his cane, he came back out to find that she had dragged it over to the bathroom door for him! He almost tripped over it, of course... but Abby's intentions were so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

It's not easy being a care giver. I'm glad you have Myla to help you out! And, yes...animals are amazing at what they pick up on and what they can sense.
OH man...it isn't easy but i'm giving it my best! Mom keeps saying i'm doing an excellent job.

My life has made a total 90 degree turn:

From wild party (raver) kid to 100% responsible caregiver!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do think animals know more then what most people give them credit for..

Heyu went nuts one day, and just refused to let me sleep , until i got up and followed her to a window that my room mate had left open, after i closed the window, heyu was fine. lol.

Life does like to throw us cruve balls sometimes, sounds like your doing a great job taking care of you mom.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

It's cheesy internet lingo for:
When it's the right way around!!
<3 I agree, animals are just amazing when it comes to this sort of thing - my grandmas cat, Smokey, would go completely mad if her sugar level got too low. He would pad up and down in the kitchen and scream until she got something to eat!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's an article in the latest American Diabetes magazine about animals (mostly dogs, but some cats) being aware of abnormal sugar levels, many times without any training whatsoever.. Some dogs are being trained as companion animals for diabetes to warn them of low sugar levels, which can be deadly.

Truly, it's an amazing thing.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
animals are awesome and i agree people dont give them enough respect to the fact they do get in tune with people. I use to breed and raise handfed baby cockatiels and lovebirds. For a number of years i did this and every 4 hours even if is was sleeping i would wake up or stop what i was doing and the lil birds would be awake ready to eat but otherwise until they became weaning age they would be sleeping. Its like they always knew when i was making their foods. Lovebirds are so adorable thru the handfeeding time too because they are really playful and loving. Cockatiels are less active but just as loving tho. The lady that inspired me to breed built a new house based on her birds. She was a large scale breeder who raised tiny birds like finches to large birds like mccalls. All of the birds that handfeedable get hand fed she is an amazing woman with her work load.