Soft paws allowed at show?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am considering entering Riley as a HHP for the March 29th show here in Richmond, now that he lets me groom him. (By lets me, I mean that I do it regardless of how scratched and bitten I get
).

I was wondering if they are allowed to wear soft claws/paws during the show or would he need to have his claws bare?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For CFA all claws should be clipped (Show rule 11.11)

HOWEVER:

Show rules : 4.10.01, 11.11.01 and 28.10 does state that claws covers are acceptable ONLY for HHP.
It's the same rule repeated 3 times....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

For CFA all claws should be clipped (Show rule 11.11)

HOWEVER:

Show rules : 4.10.01, 11.11.01 and 28.10 does state that claws covers are acceptable ONLY for HHP.
It's the same rule repeated 3 times....
I may wait to put them on him until after the show, but it is good to know they are allowed for hhp. I haven't 100% made up my mind if I'm going to take him, but have gotten an entry form and some details.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do, make sure to update us on how he does! I don't particularily have any expertise in the area, but I'm sure he'll do well being the handsome kitty he is.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. I've seen one or two cats at a CFA show with them one. One in HHP class, one in pedigree.

I would get the clear type of Soft Paws rather then the color ones. You are not supposed to have anything on the cat that would "mark" them - so clear would be better then pink or blue.

Call up the entry clerk and ask him/her if it would be ok on a HHP.

Personally I don't think it should matter if its a HHP or pedigree as long as the SP are clear and not colored. What's it gonna hurt if they are on the pedigree cats?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why you don't believe me when it comes to show rules GK!

Quote Show rule 4.10:

"All Claws of each entry must be clipped prior to benching. Failure to do so will subject the entry to disqualification."

Quote Show rule 4.10.01:

"Cats or kittens will not be judged with ribbons on their necks or with other identifying marks other than an optional tattoo (see para 4.11), micro-chipping or in the case of Household Pets, devices applied to the claws which inhibit the ability of a cat to scratch, i.e. claw covers. (See para 11.11.01 and 28.10)"

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at a CFA show recently and someone asked one of the judges about Soft Paws for HHPs. He said they were allowed.

I'm wondering what the rules are on them in TICA though?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aby, I never doubted you on the rules. I'm just saying in general that IMO it should not matter if its HHP or pedigree with CLEAR SoftPaws nail caps. I have no problem clipping nails and have never used the caps on any of my cats.

Just make a remark

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can still see the clear caps though, so that's probably why you can't have them on the peds.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The soft paws I ordered are purple
so even though they are allowed on HHP, I think I will wait to apply them until I decide if he will be going to the show. I wouldn't want to embarrass him if none of the other kitties have them

Now I just have to worry about his behavior at the show! He does outstanding at going to new places, meeting new people, he loves other cats. The only thing I'm worried is he might bolt and run from the judging table (does this ever happen?) or grab her hand if she touches his belly..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once in a great while the might happen at the show, but usually the judges have a firm handle on things
One of the most important things they will be checking is grooming - especially for the LH's; so make sure every tangle is out of that coat

Good luck.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Once in a great while the might happen at the show, but usually the judges have a firm handle on things
That's good to know!

As for his grooming, I do it every day and he rarely gets a mat now. Our routine is this:

I come home from work, grab the treats and the comb and pat the 3rd level on the cat tree. He jumps up, gets a treat and I start combing one part at a time. He gets a treat in between each "section". The whole process lasts about 2 minutes. This is the length of time it takes for me to start bleeding
He gets one final treat while I go upstairs to clean my wounds.

He hates it, and he always will. However, he jumps up there each day because he knows he will get treats, and I have learned to be quick about it to avoid extensive damage to my hands. He forgets all about it within seconds, and he is now tangle free 99% of the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a lot of progress. Maybe at the show he will get to see how well behaved the persians are in grooming and decide to cooperate more with you.

I forgot, how is he with baths?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like a lot of progress. Maybe at the show he will get to see how well behaved the persians are in grooming and decide to cooperate more with you.

I forgot, how is he with baths?
I keep thinking he will eventually learn to like it

He is wonderful at baths and plays with rubber duckies that float on the water, lol.

he's not crazy about claw clipping, but will tolerate it much better than grooming.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have decided not to take Riley to the show at this time. There is just going to be too much going on that weekend for me. I will plan for the fall show in October. That will give me more time to prepare and work on his grooming routine, and to prepare the cage decoration, etc.

I went ahead and put the soft paws on him yesterday. He licked at them just a little bit, but really didn't seem to mind or even notice much that he had them on! His feet are so furry though that you can't see them unless you squeeze his toes to extend his claws.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww was hoping you could get him started, but fall should be fine - he will have a nice coat by then. And you are right, he'll have more time to get into that routine.

BTW what color are his "nails" now ?

Maybe you can consider the September show in Baltimore - isn't there a CFA one in Timonium around the end of September? Which show is in October near you?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awww was hoping you could get him started, but fall should be fine - he will have a nice coat by then. And you are right, he'll have more time to get into that routine.

BTW what color are his "nails" now ?

Maybe you can consider the September show in Baltimore - isn't there a CFA one in Timonium around the end of September? Which show is in October near you?
They are purple!
You can't see them though unless you pick up his foot and extend his claws.

Baltimore is a bit far for me. My car won't hold up for long trips. Oct. 18-19 is another CFA show here in Richmond, VA. Hmm, can he go for just one day, or do I have to register for both?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA shows are a both day deal. If he doesn't take to it, on Saturday you can let the Show Manager and Master Clerk know that you won't be coming back on Sunday so he will be marked absent in those rings. Then you can pack up all your stuff on Saturday.

But I'm guessing he should be fine. If its a 6 ring show, you will only have 3 rings on each day, so its really not that much on him

I won't do more then 5 rings in a day. 4-5 is about the max a cat should have to go thru in one day