TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › cat constipation: remedies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cat constipation: remedies?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My cancer cat has constipation and I have been using liquid paraffin as recommended by the vet. Unfortunatly it is not working and I wonder if anyone knows a surefire remedy which is preferably tastless and odorless and can be added to her food?

I already have to give her prednisone and norocalv tablets (ground with a little marge so she can take them in without cutting her tumour which is where the windpipe meets the stomach pipe) twice a day and dont want to further stress her.

Hope someone has experience in this,
Thanks,
Sara.
post #2 of 13
Dillon lived on 1 x teasp liquid paraffin in one bowl of food and quarter to half teasp physillium husks (powder) in another bowl a day. This kept him going for years.

Best Wishes
Chris
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoc View Post
Dillon lived on 1 x teasp liquid paraffin in one bowl of food and quarter to half teasp physillium husks (powder) in another bowl a day. This kept him going for years.

Best Wishes
Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll check that out, sounds very interesting.
regards,
Sara.
post #4 of 13
Try pure canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).
post #5 of 13
CHECK with your VET since she is on RXs as to what should be used
post #6 of 13
I've seen people recommend MiraLax (a odorless, tasteless human laxative that can be used on cats) or Slippery Elm (mild tasting plant powder). Maybe you can mention them to your vet and see what they say.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoc View Post
Dillon lived on 1 x teasp liquid paraffin in one bowl of food and quarter to half teasp physillium husks (powder) in another bowl a day. This kept him going for years.

Best Wishes
Chris
Did your cat suffer from cancer Chris? I would be very interested to hear about long term care,
regards,
Sara.
post #8 of 13
I would be hesitant about giving your kitty something for constipation. Have you ruled out obstructive tumors? If you have, what my vet recommended to me once when one of my cats was constipated was to put 1/8 teaspoon of plain metamucil powder into her wet food (just once). It worked. She went the next day.

Matamucil is just plant fibre without any chemicals so it's safe for animals.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I would be hesitant about giving your kitty something for constipation. Have you ruled out obstructive tumors?


Raven suffered with off and on constipation that kept getting worse (he had Fibrosarcoma). 2 weeks before he went to the Rainbow Bridge a new x-ray revealed he had many internal tumors. He actually didn't have much stool in his system but thought he had to go. Our vet prescribed stool softeners, but after we ran out he had problems again. The tumors were disrupting his whole digestive system.

Sending vibes for your kitty.
post #10 of 13
Dillon suffered kidney failure (see my post "when to let go") I lost him 3 days ago, he was nearly 20, he had the kidney failure since 12. I kept him going with lots of love, attention, blood pressure tablet only, I took the water bowl to him, didnt subject him to forcing tablets down him or injections. My idea was the least stress and more treats the better and its what kept him going. He had terrible problems to start with with constipation but I found out what worked for him. He didnt have cancer (I dont think) but if I can help with anything else, just ask or email me.
Best Wishes
Chris
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post

Matamucil is just plant fibre without any chemicals so it's safe for animals.
No, Metamucil is not always recommended for cats with constipation. The fiber can get bulk up and get stuck in the colon; thus making it more difficult to pass. The best thing to do is consult with a met to make sure there is no megacolon in development and rule out other conditions.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post


Raven suffered with off and on constipation that kept getting worse (he had Fibrosarcoma). 2 weeks before he went to the Rainbow Bridge a new x-ray revealed he had many internal tumors. He actually didn't have much stool in his system but thought he had to go. Our vet prescribed stool softeners, but after we ran out he had problems again. The tumors were disrupting his whole digestive system.

Sending vibes for your kitty.
I just lost my Willow to the exact same thing, Fibrosarcoma. Willow was to the point she couldn't keep the food down because it couldn't get through her digestive tract. If it is your kitties cancer causing the constipation, which I assume it is, I don't think there is a remedy that will fix it. It is only going to get worse.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl View Post
No, Metamucil is not always recommended for cats with constipation. The fiber can get bulk up and get stuck in the colon; thus making it more difficult to pass. The best thing to do is consult with a met to make sure there is no megacolon in development and rule out other conditions.
I agree. My overweight cat suffers from constipation and I've tried everything. I found that feeding her extra fiber actually made the problem WORSE, and even warranted a trip to the vets office for emergency enemas and x-rays. Now she takes Lactulose, a stool softener, every day for the rest of her life. She is pooping every day now. It takes a while to find what works best for your cat. Trial and error worked for me and Mitties.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › cat constipation: remedies?