Lychee

cheshire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My white female kitty Lychee, of only less than a 1 year old, had to be put down. I keep going back in forth in my head to see if something could be done, but I just don't know. I took her to the vet a few days ago, and she has rectal prolapse. It was already at 1 am in the morning that it happened, and the only place open at the time was an animal hospital about 30 mins away, and it was the one that seemed cheapest compared to 2 other places I called.

When we got there and they examined her, I had just enough money to be able to get it fixed, minus a few things because that's what I could afford, and I could probably get her the minor things they took off the bill in the next couple days. After examining her, she had more wrong with her than just the rectal prolapse, she had her intestines being pushed out as well. After the $233 bill they quoted, it turned into $1500 just to operate on her. I had no way of getting that amount of money, we tried carecredit, but I wasn't approved, and I had no one I could call or contact that would possibly co-sign. They said even if they could do what they said before, if she didn't have the surgery she would die.

I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to watch her suffer. And I was afraid if I just waited she would die anyways. So I asked them to put her down. I was so upset that I had to make that trip and still pay $200 just to have her examined and then put down. It's killing me because I wanted so bad to save her...I loved her so much. I keep blaming myself.

She didn't deserve it. She deserved to live.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you gave her the dignity and respect she deserved. you did the right thing. please be gentle on yourself.

RIP little lychee.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an awful situation to be in

You did your best for her so don`t be so hard on yourself.

Rest in Peace sweetie

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP Lychee

You did the very best for your sweet baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, that sounds like a birth defect to me, and one that wouldn't be detected until she started having problems, so you did nothing wrong. In fact, I think you made the right decision. Not may people can afford that kind of operation, and she proabably wouldn't have had a normal life after that anyway.

Take comfort in the fact that she had a loving family, a warm bed and a full belly...and lots of love. You gave her the kind of life a cat should have. A lot of cats don't have that.

It was a hard decision, but you made the best decision. Please don't second guess yourself. You saved her from suffering, and I'm sure she would thank you for that.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Honey, that sounds like a birth defect to me, and one that wouldn't be detected until she started having problems, so you did nothing wrong. In fact, I think you made the right decision. Not may people can afford that kind of operation, and she proabably wouldn't have had a normal life after that anyway.

Take comfort in the fact that she had a loving family, a warm bed and a full belly...and lots of love. You gave her the kind of life a cat should have. A lot of cats don't have that.

It was a hard decision, but you made the best decision. Please don't second guess yourself. You saved her from suffering, and I'm sure she would thank you for that.
Many of us have had to make that same decision. And though it feels bad because we weren't wealthy enough to do drastic measures, there are reasons that these cats are put into our lives. At the end, they are relieved of their suffering, and our love lights their way to the path over Rainbow Bridge. They leave this world knowing that they had a name, knew the joys of being treasured, knew the comforts of home & the pleasure of toys, of our affections, etc. And in that, they are rich...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for everyone's kind words. It's most appreciated.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Poor baby
The main thing is you didn't let her suffer...
it's hardest when it's unexpected like that...
to you during this painful time.