Cheap Cat Tree

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I have a nice, carpet covered, regular cat tree for the girls. I wanted to add some more vertical space to their lives so I got the Wal-Mart cheapie cat structure. It has a couple of mesh hammocks and a colorful pipe frame and some red nylon cube thingies. I figured for less that $20 it can't be that good.

I was wrong.

So far, it stands up to Darcy's playfulness. Marcie isn't really too sure about it yet, but it took less than 15min to put together and it seems to be relatively sturdy. I wouldn't recommend it for a large cat (more than 12lbs), but for the price, it is quite nice. Thumbs up!!!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nice!

we got ours for $30 on ebay and it's sturdy and goes all the way to the ceiling with a hammock and other cubbies. There's no reason to pay an arm and a leg for those things... they're such a rip-off. I mean, it's just cardboard, rope and carpet...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Ok, so I have a nice, carpet covered, regular cat tree for the girls. I wanted to add some more vertical space to their lives so I got the Wal-Mart cheapie cat structure. It has a couple of mesh hammocks and a colorful pipe frame and some red nylon cube thingies. I figured for less that $20 it can't be that good.

I was wrong.

So far, it stands up to Darcy's playfulness. Marcie isn't really too sure about it yet, but it took less than 15min to put together and it seems to be relatively sturdy. I wouldn't recommend it for a large cat (more than 12lbs), but for the price, it is quite nice. Thumbs up!!!
Unlike people, cats just don't care how much you spend for things! I will bet that your cats do not love any of their toys more than an empty shopping bag!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I wouldn't recommend it for a large cat (more than 12lbs), but for the price, it is quite nice. Thumbs up!!!
Good to know about your suggested weight. I was thinking of getting one while they are on sale but haven't because I don't really have room (but am willing to make some) and with Frankie being 12-13 lbs and Wickett being 16ish lbs. I wasn't sure it would stand up to them.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Good to know about your suggested weight. I was thinking of getting one while they are on sale but haven't because I don't really have room (but am willing to make some) and with Frankie being 12-13 lbs and Wickett being 16ish lbs. I wasn't sure it would stand up to them.
My Mother-In-Law has one. I won't buy one because it doesn't seem sturdy enough for my 17 pounder. My husband doesn't think it's sturdy enough either. My MIL's cat is probably 8 lbs soaking wet. And he's little.

My cats like the $3 cubes from wal-mart though.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is this cheap cat structure you speak of? I went to Wal-Mart.com and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link, or is it only available in stores?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

What is this cheap cat structure you speak of? I went to Wal-Mart.com and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link, or is it only available in stores?
It's like this one:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...3YU&rh=&page=1
This one is $17-$20 in my area.

I think the cheap 2 story cat condos are a better deal for the money.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Except size can still be an issue there too. Neither of my cats fit IN the condo anymore and they barely fit on it.
That's a bummer.
Stimpy, my big guy, still likes the top of our 2 story condo. Our other one is a homemade 2-story condo. It has a different design and he can play inside of it.

Target has a better selection of those pipe and canvas forts. One even fits in a corner. We already had our big one when those came out, so I haven't bought any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

It's like this one:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...3YU&rh=&page=1
This one is $17-$20 in my area.

I think the cheap 2 story cat condos are a better deal for the money.
The one I got for the girls is quite similar to the one in the link. I looked for the exact one at wal-mart's web site, but couldn't find it. We had a set of the cubes for the girls, but they wore out and I wanted to find something different. The girls have a 2 story cat condo, but it is really too small for them to really enjoy.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that one too!!!! Well, had..... it doesn't stand up to a 12lb cat who likes to hang from the top
*ahem* Enzo. It lasted a year though! And for that price that's really good!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a set of the cubes, I gave them to my brother for Christmas but his new kitten decided one of them was a litterbox...

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at walmart last week and they had one of those pole trees that you assemble it's 8 feet tall with 3 platforms and ran only about $50.00 I am getting one next pay day

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$50 is a pretty good deal! I might have to check out the Walmart in my area soon! Thanks for the tip.