Need help/advice, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have another thread going about Peace but I need some help here. I've been searching the internet and trying to figure out what might be wrong with him.

It started about 2 weeks ago. We had an addition built onto our house and moved in. We took Peace with us and some of the other cats, too. A few days after we moved in Peace started licking the metal on our cook stove. I thought nothing of it as we use a wood stove for heat, it was hot, the cook stove is cold...etc. A day or 2 after that I found him licking the wood stove then the hardwood floor then the cook stove then the door sweep and so on and so on.

He started having his bowel movements out of the box but still urinated in the box. His bm's turned watery and green and just smelled bad. Took a sample to the vet and got it tested for worms and it came back clean. The vet asked me to bring Peace in and I did as he started sneezing, too. The vet put him on spec/stat/amoxi for 7 days. Peace took his meds like a pro but then after day 3 Peace started to wobble a lot. He would fall off the couch and land on his side then he would fall off the table trying to get to the food. (He ate this whole time without issue) Come day 8 when he was done is meds, he could hardly just stand. You had to support him until he, basically, got his legs under himself to walk or just sit. His head tilted to either side more times then not then on Saturday night (the 23rd) he had what I thought was a seizure. All 4 of his limbs wen rigid, his pupils dialted all the way out, he was unresponsive but it passed almost as fast as it started so I wasn't sure. Come Sunday these episodes became more frequent and he stopped eating.

Took Peace to the vet on Monday and was told it must be neurological or something, can we keep him. So started Day1 of Peace at the vets. Day2 I got a phone call that Peace is no better/no worse let's give him another day. Day3 (today) I got a call that says Peace is no better/worse but now he's not eating. He's still falling over and having the attacks and, well, he can't have a good life if all he does is fall over. I asked if I could see Peace tomorrow and they said sure. One vet *thinks* with everything Peace was licking on it became toxic and he now has brain damage but, again, not sure.

Any help or ideas as to what could be going on with Peace would help me immensley. I am in the dark as to what is wrong here. Peace is 8 months old, white with blue eyes, deaf, up on shots, never been outside.

Thank you.

(Please forgive my spelling errors.)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anything been spilled? Odd cleaners used on the stoves or potentially heavy metal poisoning (lead, arsenic, etc)?

If you can, look up the stove types - how they were made.

Probably completely off the wall suggestions, but one never knows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used generic scrubbing bubbles on the stove to clean it about 3 weeks ago!!! Could that be a cause?! I thought I rinsed it off real well after and I've only used that Clorox all natural cleaner on it since. Oh god I'm going to have to bring this up to the vets. If that's part or all of the cause then it might be too late for Peace if he has some sort of chemical poisoning.

Thank you so very much for having that click in my brain. I would never in a million years even think it might be because of a cleaner.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope Peace is ok. That is sad.

I also heard a swiffer wet vac's solution is poisonous if licked by dogs or cats. I've seen several stories about this over the years but still see them being sold in stores. I just don't get it sometimes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

I used generic scrubbing bubbles on the stove to clean it about 3 weeks ago!!! Could that be a cause?! I thought I rinsed it off real well after and I've only used that Clorox all natural cleaner on it since. Oh god I'm going to have to bring this up to the vets. If that's part or all of the cause then it might be too late for Peace if he has some sort of chemical poisoning.
That doesn't sound to serious, you did rinse well though I'm not sure about clorox's newer cleaners.

I was sort of thinking maybe the stoves were new or hadn't been fully cleaned since you bought them and that there could have been something left from the manufacturer - but you took care of that theory.

Checking cleaners is the only thing I can think of now, that or fumes of some sort.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound like poisoning. How about floor cleaners? Does he get into cabinets containing chemical products, paints, etc.? Or drink out of a toilet with a cleaning treatment in the water? Are there any insecticides or mouse baits in the house? Or could he have caught and eaten a rodent that was itself poisoned? Or what about house plants -- lilies, poinsettias?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A huge thank you to strange wings! Sadly Peace is with us no more but by agreement from the vets it was chemical poisoning that, over time, was killing Peace. I was told that it is possible with the rust on the bottom of the stove I might not have got all the cleaner off and the combination of cleaner(s) and rust it was slowly poisoning him.

I spent an hour with Peace today before decideing. I had all the answers I could get and was also told that as advanced as his symptoms they were irreversable plus Peace stopped eating yesterday and they thought they lost him today. Peace had a seizure while I was holding him that was worse then any I had seen and I decided then to let him go.

Thank you all so very much!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry about Peace!!

RIP PEACE!!

The swiffer thing isn't just a myth... it says its harmfull right on the outside of the box!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Im sorry about Peace!!

RIP PEACE!!

The swiffer thing isn't just a myth... it says its harmfull right on the outside of the box!
i've also seen labels on blow dryers that say 'do not use when sleeping'. sometimes they label things just to avoid lawsuits. i use the swiffer wetjet, & the cats couldn't be less interested... & have had no problems, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.