New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Contractions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Well, I cancelled my trip so I won't be leaving rupy alone, I just had a bad feeling leaving her at this time... So my question is this: How can you tell when a cat is having contractions, other than the obvious, tightening of the tummy. Can you SEE any difference in their tummy? My girl is so sensitive about being touched lately, she won't hardly tolerate anyone touching her tummy, and I hate to bother her too much. I have a feeling she will go in the next week for sure, in the last 3 days she has gotten significantly bigger. I thought she was big before! Anyway, if anyone can give me any pointers on how to tell if she is contracting that would be great. She hardly wants to move at all, just lays in one spot unless she HAS to move. Poor tired girl!
post #2 of 10
I could see the contractions, it looks like a "rippling" in the stomach and along the back.
post #3 of 10
It will also look like she's trying to poo while sitting or laying down.
post #4 of 10
I was worried about not being able to tell if Nemo was having contractions but there is no mistaking a contraction....you will see her whole stomach tighten.
post #5 of 10
Do cats make any noise when they are in labor/delivering/contracting?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotobay View Post
Do cats make any noise when they are in labor/delivering/contracting?
Some do... some cats will yell/howl/squeal, while others are completely silent throughout the entire process.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
Some do... some cats will yell/howl/squeal, while others are completely silent throughout the entire process.
Oh, great. My vanishing Houdini will be in some mysterious hideaway somewhere in my house having a silent birth..

And you guys thought I was frantic yesterday (when she was missing at 7 weeks preg). Just wait til she goes missing in 2 weeks ... I'll be a basket case
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotobay View Post
Oh, great. My vanishing Houdini will be in some mysterious hideaway somewhere in my house having a silent birth..

And you guys thought I was frantic yesterday (when she was missing at 7 weeks preg). Just wait til she goes missing in 2 weeks ... I'll be a basket case
I always confine my foster mommas to an extra large dog crate when they get close to delivering. That way, I'm sure that the kittens are being born in a safe place and I can keep an eye on everything in case something goes wrong. Do you have that option of confining her?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
I always confine my foster mommas to an extra large dog crate when they get close to delivering. That way, I'm sure that the kittens are being born in a safe place and I can keep an eye on everything in case something goes wrong. Do you have that option of confining her?
I can confine her, but let me ask you a little about this since I've been considering it but have mixed feelings. This cat is very social...she loves hanging around the family (she's asleep on my lap right now)and naps on top of the dog, etc. She has her own bedroom with an attached bath that has all her stuff in it....but when I leave her in her room and close the doors, she cries really loud. I always end up feeling bad and let her out. Also I really don't know when she is going to deliver (due date was an estimate from the vet since we took her in as a stray who was already preggo). We think she is 52-57 days along (but I still don't feel the kittens move), so should I start confining her starting next week?

Also if I do decide to confine her, will that stress her pregnancy? I realize all these issues have to be weighed against the possibility of her delivering in some hidden spot with no supervision---but I would love your advice since this is the first pregnant stray I have ever dealt with. Thanks!!

p.s. Sorry to highjack your thread, rupydoo!
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotobay View Post
I can confine her, but let me ask you a little about this since I've been considering it but have mixed feelings. This cat is very social...she loves hanging around the family (she's asleep on my lap right now)and naps on top of the dog, etc. She has her own bedroom with an attached bath that has all her stuff in it....but when I leave her in her room and close the doors, she cries really loud. I always end up feeling bad and let her out. Also I really don't know when she is going to deliver (due date was an estimate from the vet since we took her in as a stray who was already preggo). We think she is 52-57 days along (but I still don't feel the kittens move), so should I start confining her starting next week?

Also if I do decide to confine her, will that stress her pregnancy? I realize all these issues have to be weighed against the possibility of her delivering in some hidden spot with no supervision---but I would love your advice since this is the first pregnant stray I have ever dealt with. Thanks!!

p.s. Sorry to highjack your thread, rupydoo!
I would start confining her for brief periods now.. maybe an hour or two at a time. Set her up a nice "nest"... a cardboard box with part of a side cut out for her to get in and out works great. You can put towels and blankets in it now and after the kittens are born, but I recommend lining it with newspaper for the delivery for easier clean up. Put food and water and litter box in with her. Spend time in there with her, so she doesn't feel abandoned. She should start to relax in there and realize that it's a safe place to have her babies. I don't have an extra room which is why I use the dog crates. I've found that after a few days of getting used to the crate, they'll return there on their own even when allowed freedom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care