Does anyone use natural remedies for colds, aches, and such?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was walking through our "organic" store (I put it in quotes because everything that was alive at one point is organic reguardless), and they have little pills that dissolve in your mouth. They have things like herbs and plant extracts to help with things like menstrual cramps and colds. I thought about getting something and trying it, but I've never known anyone who uses natural remedies. Well, all but my granny who put a raw steak on my face
when a rooster sliced me pretty good (I had to get stitches!).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to try taking herbal supplements, please research before you take anything. Some can interact with medicines or even other herbal supplements. Even though it's from a plant, that doesn't mean there aren't any potentially deadly side effects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If you're going to try taking herbal supplements, please research before you take anything. Some can interact with medicines or even other herbal supplements. Even though it's from a plant, that doesn't mean there aren't any potentially deadly side effects.
I didn't think about them interacting with other medications.....Thanks for your advice! I will definitely research before I take any, that's why I didn't get anything today!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a small note pad with you the next time you go to the store and write down anything you may be interested in - then you can do more detailed research at home.

As a couple of recent threads have proven - interactions can be very scary and even deadly.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Yep. Always check with your pharamacist before taking any natural remedies or over the counter medications to see if they interact with any other medications that you are taking.

So far as "natural" remedies go, does an ice pack on a shoulder count?

I take a multi vitamin every day as well as 1000 iu of Vitamin daily. Plus as needed I take an iron supplement. I tend to stay away from herbal remedies because of my prescription medications.