Frog Legs...Anyone ever cook them before?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So....we're having our own little fear factor at home tonight
Our local "organic" store has frog legs for $2.80, which includes two pairs of frogs. I picked them up for fun with a gift card I won!
I've had frog legs before and really like them, but I have no idea how to cook them. All the recipes I find are way too hard. I need something simple, no 15 ingredients, or 3 hour prep times for me!!! (I'm exagerating)

I also picked up a bunch of craw fish (pre cooked) for $2.49 so if you have any idea how to eat those let me know!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having kept/raised frogs before (saved tadpoles for a drying pool), it would be a bit like eating cat... I couldn't do that as I view them as pets. That and frogs are nasty.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember what they were like before? did they seem boiled? or fried or bbqed?

just fry it and add pasta sauce..
and cook it for a further 30 mins

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I would do is soak them in salt water and a little milk for a few hours to take the "gamey" taste out. Then use some Chicken Shake N Bake coating mix and cook them for the normal time it would take chicken - maybe 5-10 mins less if they are smaller then normal chicken legs.

I've had frog legs as a teenager. Believe me if you put one of them on a plate with an equal size chicken leg, you cannot tell the difference in taste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Do you remember what they were like before? did they seem boiled? or fried or bbqed?

just fry it and add pasta sauce..
and cook it for a further 30 mins
I think it was most likely bbqed.....
adding things to pasta is usually my solution too

Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

Well, I've never tried frogs legs, but I belong to this site http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel...gs/Detail.aspx and this recipe didn't sound hard, there weren't a ton of ingredients, and it rated high for tasting good.
Hey thanks!!! I think I might just use that recipe!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What I would do is soak them in salt water and a little milk for a few hours to take the "gamey" taste out. Then use some Chicken Shake N Bake coating mix and cook them for the normal time it would take chicken - maybe 5-10 mins less if they are smaller then normal chicken legs.

I've had frog legs as a teenager. Believe me if you put one of them on a plate with an equal size chicken leg, you cannot tell the difference in taste
I didn't know salt water and milk helped to take out the gamey taste! I'm going to go do that right now! Thanks!!!

I do agree that they taste very much like chicken!!! It's so strange....chicken must be the universal meat

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I've never tried frogs legs, but I belong to this site http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel...gs/Detail.aspx and this recipe didn't sound hard, there weren't a ton of ingredients, and it rated high for tasting good.
And the strange thing is.....I actually have all the ingredients! When does that ever happen?

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I could ever bring myself to try frog legs. As a kid I use to catch frogs and play with them, and they were always so slimmy and gross, I could never imagine eatting one

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't tell you hon. Never had frog legs, probably never will. In my eyes frogs are just too cute to eat.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Our local "organic" store has frog legs for $2.80, which includes two pairs of frogs. I picked them up for fun with a gift card I won!
I've had frog legs before and really like them
Um....

That pretty much covers it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
when i've had them, they were breaded & pan fried, like fish. you've gotten some good suggestions for the frogs.
as for the crawfish, you peel & eat them like you do boiled shrimp [i'm assuming they're still in the shell?]. you can use them interchangeably for shrimp in any recipe you have that you like. i've made 'shrimp' salad with them, & served it not telling people it was crawfish. they were amazed at how good my 'shrimp' were - they'd never tasted any as good before. afterwards, i'd tell them that's because they were crawfish!
in Texas, very few people used to eat crawfish... but my mom is from south Louisiana, & we've always eaten them - frog legs, too!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cook them any way you cook rabbit, but not in too rich a sauce as the flavour is more delicate, like a rather mature chicken! I am sure that as they are from your organic store there is no problem, but I stopped buying them some time ago, after learning that most of the frozen ones come from China or India, where they get them by chopping off the legs while the frogs are still alive. I saw horrific video footage.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my goodness that recipe was AMAZING!!!!!
Thanks for the link!!!

Originally Posted by Essayons89

I'm sorry. I remember seeing this picture as kid and couldn't help posting a link to it.

http://web.cornell.edu/studentblogs/...g-legs-jpg.jpe
I litterally laughed out loud! What a hilarious picture!!!!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My aunt and uncle lived on a lake in Indiana when I was a child. They made frog legs for us, they were fried, and they tasted like chicken.

I have a vivid memory of my uncle "frog-gigging". He used a trident-like spear that he hunted the frogs with. He went out hunting for frogs in the rain that weekend. He had a yellow slicker on, the trident was raised above his head, he had a maniacal look on his face as he stood in front of the living room window and we saw him as lightening lit up the sky outside. EEEK! Don't you just love an uncle that likes to play practical jokes? As a kid I didn't think it was so funny, I have never been so scared (or scarred) in my life, so that's my memory of frog legs.

I hope you enjoy yours.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've eaten frogs legs, and enjoyed them, but it's long enough ago that I don't remember how they were prepared. I certainly haven't cooked them myself, though if the opportunity presented itself, I would love to do them. Let us know what you did and how they turned out.