Balloon Mollies x_X

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About two months ago my husband and I went out to snag up a couple of balloon mollies for my planted ten gallon. We picked out two females, we already had a male all by himself.

It wasn't even a week after we purchased the grrls that the tank exploded with freshly birthed mollies, about 25 to 30 of them x.x The females were both gravid/pregnant when I purchased them since it takes longer than a week for mollies to reproduce and produce.

Question is, what do I do with all these mollie-wogs (hehe)? I could take the route done in the past and feed them to my goldies or try and sell them for like..25 cents a pop. 30+ mollies do not fair well in a cramped 10 gallon :E I have another 10 gallon, but considering all the tanks I have already I'm not really "allowed" to set up another tank again.

Suggestions? XD

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow.. thats an interesting looking Fish! Ive also never heard of them... but the Link wasn't working for me so I Googled them... Idk what to do with them but if you were near me Id probably take a couple!
Do you have any White ones with Black Spots??

Good luck finding a way to.. er.. get rid of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

Wow.. thats an interesting looking Fish! Ive also never heard of them... but the Link wasn't working for me so I Googled them... Idk what to do with them but if you were near me Id probably take a couple!
Do you have any White ones with Black Spots??

Good luck finding a way to.. er.. get rid of them.
I don't have any white ones "yet". There are several who look like they'll be silver with markings, but all I have most of are calico golds and mostly blacks.

They are very friendly fish, like most live bearers tend to be- but these guys need to be fed more often than the average goldfish, just in smaller doses.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you leave them in the aquarium most likely some will be eaten, fish fry are like little snacks, I've had mollies and half died from being eaten the first day.

So you could just keep them in the aquarium for now and see how many survive.

Or if you have very few left, there are small tanks called breeding traps to keep fish fry in, the tank will float in your 10 gallon, yet they wont be accessable to the adult fish.

Pic

Info on balloon mollys, says they need 30 gallons minimum. http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2617

You could set up 1 tank for males, and 1 for females. A pet store worker may be able to find people who will buy some from you, if they are good show stock, mabye you can find a molly breeder?

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well.. I wouldn't know what to tell you. I had a guppy that had babies once -- good luck with them

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

If you leave them in the aquarium most likely some will be eaten, fish fry are like little snacks, I've had mollies and half died from being eaten the first day.

So you could just keep them in the aquarium for now and see how many survive.

Or if you have very few left, there are small tanks called breeding traps to keep fish fry in, the tank will float in your 10 gallon, yet they wont be accessable to the adult fish.

Pic

Info on balloon mollys, says they need 30 gallons minimum. http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2617

You could set up 1 tank for males, and 1 for females. A pet store worker may be able to find people who will buy some from you, if they are good show stock, mabye you can find a molly breeder?
These molly fry are way too large to fit into the parents mouths at this point and the parents would likely choke on them if it were attempted.

30 gallons is recommended considering most people (the average joe) are lazy at water changes and 30 gallons is easier to maintain. I do frequent water changes and have a planted aquarium which helps keep down the ammonia, nitrates/nitrites and ph problems. My fish are healthy and pretty content, so I'm not too concerned about my usual 3 being in a 10 gallon. It's the extra 25+ that will seriously throw off the biofilter that I am concerned about.

EDIT: And awesome News!
We found a 55 gallon aquarium and set up for sale so all of my tropicals will be moving to a larger shinier home
I've been waiting to get my hands on a new 55 gallon, we already have one that houses my goldfish.

And, I've had hits for all the fry on craigslist, so they're all ready to go

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey CatHaus.... do you think you could get pics of your Fish?
((Fishy Pics Amuse me
))... Plus it would be cool!

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to breed mollies and guppies... A (good) little LFS down the road from me would take them off my hands and sell them for me. I didn't get much out of them, but it's not like I did it to earn money.
I've moved onto saltwater now... willing my seahorses to get old enough to start actually mating rather than just courting

Good luck!

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tobi

I used to breed mollies and guppies... A (good) little LFS down the road from me would take them off my hands and sell them for me. I didn't get much out of them, but it's not like I did it to earn money.
I've moved onto saltwater now... willing my seahorses to get old enough to start actually mating rather than just courting

Good luck!
Ah but I bet the courting must be interesting to watch

For some reason guppies and I fail. I tried my best but they always died. So far the Mollies seem to be the best of the livebearers for me.

And I've ended up with several takers on craigslist
At this point I'm just giving them away for free!