Why is he bothered by a new bed?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yesterday we got a twin bed for our 4 year old. As soon as if got brought into the house Ping started freaking out. And then it rained and for the first time in a long time Ping ran and hid. He stayed under the couch for 4-5 hours even after it rained. Even after he came out he acted scared and freaked out. This morning was a little better till I opened my son's bed room door then he started freaking out again. So I thought maybe if I took him in there with my and sat on the bed maybe that would help him see the new bed is not a bad thing. But as soon as I sat down on it with him his tail bushed out and he took off out of the room all freaked out again.

Why is he acting like this with a new bed? What can I do to calm his mind?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There must be some kind of "scent" about the bed. Cats are weird - they get spooked by the weirdest things. Can you get one of the Feliways to put in your son's room for a week or so.

I'm sure in a few days things will be ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I could but that would mean ordering it and knowing my luck by the time they got here he would be over this. I just hate seeing him so freaked out.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Well I could but that would mean ordering it and knowing my luck by the time they got here he would be over this. I just hate seeing him so freaked out.
I have brought home several different types of furniture in the last year and they all have had the same affect on my cats. I think it is just natural for cats to be freaked out for a while when there is something new in their lives.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I think it is just natural for cats to be freaked out for a while when there is something new in their lives.
Nobody told my cat this! She loves new things, new people, new animals, anything new she is all about it!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a new smell introduced into his domain. Buy a bottle of Feliway Spray and lightly spray the bed all over. Do this quickly, before Ping decides to cover it with a scent he IS familar with- his urine. Also be sure he is acting okay- anything off- missing the litter pan, not eating, listless get him to the vet quickly. Stress unhinges some cats, stress causes illness quickly. They don't like changes, it unnerves them.