Anyone from Illlinois?!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone out there from Illlinois ever heard or had any experience with the businesses that redo the porcelain finish on cast iron bathroom fixtures? As in having the porcelain blasted off, down to the bare metal, and then the porcelain process was redone from scratch. If so, were you satisfied with it? I was told there is a company in Illinois that does this and was wondering if anyone knew which one it is? I googled it and found quite a few. I have a toilet tank that I might consider having done.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hm i know alot of people there,can you pm me the name of the company and i will ask?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my tub done several years ago, and it looked great for a few years. It does wear off over time, and one of those Lush bath bombs stained it (
). I honestly don't remember the name of the company, though. The thing is, it never looks 100% like a regular tub, although in my case, much improved. I don't know how a toilet would work...you're not thinking of doing the inside bowl, are you? I would think the constant running water and the harsh cleaners would wear it off pretty quickly. You can't use harsh cleansers. You're supposed to use gentle cleansers, and then once in a while polish it up with turtle wax.

And yes, I live in Illinois. If you want, you can PM the company name, and I'll let you know if it rings a bell. Lots of companies do this kind of work, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hm i know alot of people there,can you pm me the name of the company and i will ask?
Bruce, I sent you a PM with the company names.

Originally Posted by clixpix

I had my tub done several years ago, and it looked great for a few years. It does wear off over time, and one of those Lush bath bombs stained it (
). I honestly don't remember the name of the company, though. The thing is, it never looks 100% like a regular tub, although in my case, much improved. I don't know how a toilet would work...you're not thinking of doing the inside bowl, are you? I would think the constant running water and the harsh cleaners would wear it off pretty quickly. You can't use harsh cleansers. You're supposed to use gentle cleansers, and then once in a while polish it up with turtle wax.

And yes, I live in Illinois. If you want, you can PM the company name, and I'll let you know if it rings a bell. Lots of companies do this kind of work, though.
No, no, no. I don't think you understood my original post.
I'm not talking about the process where they refinish the tub by "painting" it with enamel paint. This process involves sandblasting the original porcelain finish off down to the bare metal. The cast iron is then heated to a red hot temperature, the power coating is applied, which melts and the iron is coated with porcelain....they same way it was done back in the day. I'm not doing the toilet bowl, as it is vitreous china. It is the toilet tank, which is a cast iron wall mounted tank, that I want to have redone.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help, being an Illinoisan, but I've only ever rented and so never have never sandblasted anything in the bathroom

Kelly, which Bath Bomb? You should use them with a little bit of bubble bar (I'm sure any bubble bath or shower gel would do the trick) cocktailed in...then they don't stain.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Bruce, I sent you a PM with the company names.

No, no, no. I don't think you understood my original post.
I'm not talking about the process where they refinish the tub by "painting" it with enamel paint. This process involves sandblasting the original porcelain finish off down to the bare metal. The cast iron is then heated to a red hot temperature, the power coating is applied, which melts and the iron is coated with porcelain....they same way it was done back in the day. I'm not doing the toilet bowl, as it is vitreous china. It is the toilet tank, which is a cast iron wall mounted tank, that I want to have redone.
Well, they blasted down to the metal, I remember seeing that, but they didn't heat anything up. You'll have to let me know how you like it...mine is going to need to be redone eventually.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Kelly, which Bath Bomb? You should use them with a little bit of bubble bar (I'm sure any bubble bath or shower gel would do the trick) cocktailed in...then they don't stain.
It was an orange one...it was ylang ylang scented. I won't be making that mistake again!