Urinary tract question

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of you know the background of my story...to make it short and to the point....Mittens started with frequent UTI's and then eventually he had to have an emergency PU done in December of 2005. He has had about 1-2 infections a year since.

Last month, he developed a real nasty one where you could smell the blood in the urine. My vet gave him Orbax (antibiotic) and steroids (he is on them until March 27; he takes 1 tablet every other day). I took him to the vet on January 30, and he started doing better. I even have to wipe his rear end clean in the evening and put ointment on his bottom because the acid was very strong. In the last day or so, the smell is back. I am taking him back to the vet to see what else can be done. I have started giving him wet food and I even put water in his dry food to make sure he is drinking more water. I read on the web somewhere that there are just some 'unfortunate cats' that just go through life like this and there isn't much to do about it. I can't accept that! I need ideas, especially from you all on things you have done to make your cat better and feel better. I have heard about herbal remedies and want to know if anyone has tried them and if they are safe?!? I need ideas, I need answers, I need hope. I need a cure.

Please respond if you can, I appreciate it

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about herbal remedies and unfortunately I can't give you a cure for Mittens' urinary tract issues. But I do know that one of the best ways to try to induce a cat to drink more water is to buy a pet fountain. Drinkwell, Petmate and Catit are the three most popular (only?) manufacturers. The fountains cost around $40. Like anything else it doesn't necessarily work for every cat but it is something to consider.

Also, if you free feed him dry food, I would not recommend adding water to it. The food can become a breeding ground for bacteria. Of course if you are feeding him only at set times, this is not an issue.

I hope other members have more ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion. I had a fountain for him awhile back, but it did not make a difference. It ended up staying in a box when we moved in '06 and eventually thrown away because it was unusable. The vet suggested watering the food; he eats the food in one sitting, so it doesn't have time to grow bacteria on it.

A little background, Mittens is an outdoor cat since he stopped using his box 2 years ago to urinate. He does poop in the litter box though when he comes intto the garage when the weather is not good.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco gets them too and they take a long time to go away. Last time it took 6 bottles of Antibiotics. She tested Neg Jan 11 but there has been slight blood ever since. The Vet said what its Called and if she gets another infection they will put her on low dose antibiotics. I hope your Cat can get better.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Coco gets them too and they take a long time to go away. Last time it took 6 bottles of Antibiotics. She tested Neg Jan 11 but there has been slight blood ever since. The Vet said what its Called and if she gets another infection they will put her on low dose antibiotics. I hope your Cat can get better.
Wow...so I guess this is just very common? I know though that he can get better than what he is. I guess he just needed a bigger dose of the medicine.

I just cleaned his bottom, and it smelled so terrible, I almost barfed. His bottom is very sore, hopefully the vet can do something else about this. I feel so bad for him

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your Cat? Coco is almost 16 and it started happening in Aug 2006.
The first time she had Struvite Bladder Stones and was put on S/D. When those went away she was put on C/D. She had Orbox once for a bad Cold. They gave her Clavamox for her bladder infections but it mad her sick so they switched to Cephalexen. Her last infection she got last Nov. He is on Pred? Coco gets taht for her Asthma. I hope something will help your Cat. What other Meds have they tried.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im curious to know what they've done to prevent them also! Any special food?? BooBoo has this happen and if I change his foods or let him have something else he will get one! The vet put him on Hills Science Diet C/D and it really worked... however I thought the food wasn't quite good enough for him so I switched him to Nutro and he hasn't had one since! He always tells me if he has one, he'll pee on something that I HAVE TO HAVE with me! Like the diaper bag one day! Didn't make meowmy happy! But I knew he was telling me something was wrong. I hope he gets better!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

How old is your Cat? Coco is almost 16 and it started happening in Aug 2006.
The first time she had Struvite Bladder Stones and was put on S/D. When those went away she was put on C/D. She had Orbox once for a bad Cold. They gave her Clavamox for her bladder infections but it mad her sick so they switched to Cephalexen. Her last infection she got last Nov. He is on Pred? Coco gets taht for her Asthma. I hope something will help your Cat. What other Meds have they tried.
Mittens is about 10. When he had the PU done, he was about 8 or so. He is an overweight cat and is neutered. He use to be 25 pounds but now he is at 17 steadily. He has been on a wide variety of medicine which I couldn't tell you what all of them are. His medical record is very long. Right now all he is on is the Pred. He has been on Orbax a few times. I am so frusterated; I want him to get better. I wish I could find something and he would just heal from it. I don't want to put him to sleep.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Im curious to know what they've done to prevent them also! Any special food?? BooBoo has this happen and if I change his foods or let him have something else he will get one! The vet put him on Hills Science Diet C/D and it really worked... however I thought the food wasn't quite good enough for him so I switched him to Nutro and he hasn't had one since! He always tells me if he has one, he'll pee on something that I HAVE TO HAVE with me! Like the diaper bag one day! Didn't make meowmy happy! But I knew he was telling me something was wrong. I hope he gets better!
No special foods. We tried that awhile back and it did not prevent them and it didn't help him either, it just made him gain more weight which was worse for him.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Cocos infection came back last time if was right after she had the Depo Shot and after a bad cold. Her Urine Tests clear for Blood but I see it when I wipe her. i can not remember what the Vet said it is. Is your Cat having alot of Blood. Midnight my Sisters Cat has had it before too. Its been almost 2 years since he blocked. What does your Vet say it is.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty. Poor baby. But I agree with Sharky. 100% canned food for your kitties with UTI problems. And if your kitty will eat it, add water to the canned food to make it like a soup. Fountains help them drink more, so that's good too. I refuse to feed a prescription diet. It's filled with garbage. I finally found a vet who agrees with me!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by merlynn's mom

I'm so sorry about your kitty. Poor baby. But I agree with Sharky. 100% canned food for your kitties with UTI problems. And if your kitty will eat it, add water to the canned food to make it like a soup. Fountains help them drink more, so that's good too. I refuse to feed a prescription diet. It's filled with garbage. I finally found a vet who agrees with me!!!
I also agree. I am amazed at how much more water our cats drink since we got the fountain as well.

Bijou and Mika are now favouring the wet food over the dry which I'm very happy about.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all I feel for you and your kitty.
Dont give up!
My female indoor was troubled with repeated infections
for about 1 1- 1.2 yrs. Its a horrible thing.
The second the antibotic was done 2 weeks it was back,
even after changing it and being on it for many weeks.
So frankly I gave up this and tried other ideas.
1) I changed her food to Nutro max. roasted chicken
this has helped a great deal so far. Give this a try.
2) I give her approx 4 oz.of canned split into 2 meals
and add water making it a bit soupy.
to this I added cran extract capsule 1/3 of it each
canned meal. It does not matter what canned food
just so they are getting that water intake, my vet agreed
with this. Can food is the key, my kitty wants crunch
so we comprise here, I give a small bits of crunch twice a day
along with canned.
3) I have changed the cat litter from clay scoop to
sweat scoop also adding for a period of time
the cat litter attract from Dr. Easley. I was wandering
if she was holding her urine. ( ha I do that)
I also removed the cat litter box top.
4) I also purchased from Dr. Foster & smith the tablets
for PH reduction. Also purchased Carpon tablets
I was giving above when we had a flare up
I didn't give both at same time, just used one or the other
trying to see what worked better.
Frankly I think Cran extract works as well as antibiotics.
I was at vet and they agree Cran is good, buy the capsules
and mix into wet.
5) I also daily administer (2) syringes of water into her
mouth every morning. She takes it without protest.
She will not use the water fountain. ( Scardy cat!)
In saying all that we are down to only 2 infections this past 10 months.
It is getting less frequent all the time and is completely manageable
and I may even get this problem completely solved - I hope.
Good luck.
Brenda

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

First of all I feel for you and your kitty.
Dont give up!
My female indoor was troubled with repeated infections
for about 1 1- 1.2 yrs. Its a horrible thing.
The second the antibotic was done 2 weeks it was back,
even after changing it and being on it for many weeks.
So frankly I gave up this and tried other ideas.
1) I changed her food to Nutro max. roasted chicken
this has helped a great deal so far. Give this a try.
2) I give her approx 4 oz.of canned split into 2 meals
and add water making it a bit soupy.
to this I added cran extract capsule 1/3 of it each
canned meal. It does not matter what canned food
just so they are getting that water intake, my vet agreed
with this. Can food is the key, my kitty wants crunch
so we comprise here, I give a small bits of crunch twice a day
along with canned.
3) I have changed the cat litter from clay scoop to
sweat scoop also adding for a period of time
the cat litter attract from Dr. Easley. I was wandering
if she was holding her urine. ( ha I do that)
I also removed the cat litter box top.
4) I also purchased from Dr. Foster & smith the tablets
for PH reduction. Also purchased Carpon tablets
I was giving above when we had a flare up
I didn't give both at same time, just used one or the other
trying to see what worked better.
Frankly I think Cran extract works as well as antibiotics.
I was at vet and they agree Cran is good, buy the capsules
and mix into wet.
5) I also daily administer (2) syringes of water into her
mouth every morning. She takes it without protest.
She will not use the water fountain. ( Scardy cat!)
In saying all that we are down to only 2 infections this past 10 months.
It is getting less frequent all the time and is completely manageable
and I may even get this problem completely solved - I hope.
Good luck.
Brenda
Everyone, Thank you very much for all of your suggestions. I called the vet today and he told me to come and get another prescription. As soon as I got home, I made him take it. His rear-end looks like it is scabbed over and when I pull the scab up, it is raw, no wonder he is so unhappy. I just have to keep putting the cream on him. Should I put his cone on or should I let him lick the area (I hear that it helps them when it burns)??? Brenda, I will definitely try all of your suggestions. I will go buy the food and syringes tomorrow. I have been putting water in with his food for about a month and I do see him drinking water. Where do you get the cran extract? Also, Mittens never liked the fountain and since he is mostly outdoors, there is nowhere to plug it in anyway...so that's not an option. I am super excited; I do hope this helps

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where do you get the cran extract?

I bought mine at the drug store. I would check a good drug store
or health food store.
It was in a capsule,
I just open it and poor it in with food. I never gave
the whole capsule in one sitting fearing she would not
eat it if too much was in there plus that might just be
too much for a kitty.