Taxes: What will you be doing with your refund?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yep, another tax thread from me. I've been pondering what to do with my refund, so was interested in what everyone else will be doing with theirs.

If I get the "stimulus payment" I'll be paying off some debt AND getting a LR! If I don't, then it'll just be the debt and the LR will have to wait

Art

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our refund will pay the last term's tuition payment at our daughter's college. Private college; substantial refund.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and here I am with another answer
I only got $79 back so that just got absorbed rather quickly
and as far as my stimulus refund, I'm not sure, it will most likely go towards bills, I'm going to try to save as much of it as I can becuase I want to get an elliptical machine this year

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will go in savings. I'm getting a substantial amount back, and I'd rather just have it go in savings because I really don't need anything. I would like to get an elliptical or treadmill but we live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and don't really have anywhere to put it. If we don't get that, it will probably end up going towards student loans.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to vote "something for others" because I'm using mine to get my new kitten to ultimately help my cat.
Not to mention all of the new cat toys and furniture I've been buying. Somebody stop me! This is what happens when you have to wait to get your new kitten, you just keep spending money to pass the time.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol you forgot to add , dont get a refund lol
i owe 1600 to federal. and get 19 dollars back from state. guess i will put that in the gas tank lol

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than likely I won't get a federal return back. I had to make a withdrawal on my Thrift Savings Plan and they only took out 10% in taxes.

I should get some money back from state and will use it on bills.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a huge tax bill last year because of the stupid double tax laws - in the US we pay tax on both US and Australian earnings (and Australia also taxes us on Australian earning, and somehow at sometime we get to claim it back...), and we hadn't paid tax on some Australian earnings (the tax year runs differently), so we paid whopping tax over here.

I imagine the same is going to happen this year. So we'll be pulling from the savings account!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a pretty good federal refund back this year. My car needs new tires, but the rest will go into savings. Something usually pops up that requires the money I try to save, so I don't expect it to stay in there long!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were on our honeymoon cruise when I got my tax return electronically deposited in the bank. So there was twice as much money in the account than when we left which worked GREAT! We paid our credit card off for the month, as well as the "bill" we racked up on the cruise with that money. Today we bought a used laptop (which I'm on now
), and I've deposited $100 in savings to start saving $$ for a cruise next year. And there is still money in our account left to put in our money market (which is our house savings money). Not all of that was tax money, but all the money used for the CC bill and cruise was
I still have another $740 on the way from the state also.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a fairly good refund this year which I just put in the bank..I am planning on taking a few days off in March so I may use some of it them to go shopping in the city for a day..

I actually had all my bills caught up and was debt free for the first time this year so it's kind of cool just to have the extra money in the bank..

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we are gonna use our refund to pay off some bills, if we get the stimulus refund roman wants a xbox360, and i mentioned tonight i want one of those outdoor kennels for Dixie to play in durring the day, i have a fenced yard but the fence is pretty bad and i dont trust it at all, so we might get one of those kennells so she can be outside and play even when i am not standing there with her.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a truck waiting for me when I get mine back, assuming I get back the amount I think I will. It is an '85 Chevy with a newly rebuilt motor and transmission from a guy that works at the local custom speed shop. If I have enough left, I am going to paint it from the nasty brown it is to pink. My SO will not drive a pink truck, and every time I let him drive something of mine it either gets stolen or broken beyond our means to repair. Or maybe a nice lavender, hmmm.....