outside kitties who won't

maotto3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats (one is 3, two are 2). They've been going outside since they were kittens and really loved being outdoors. They would run to the door any time they would hear it open. They eat and drink indoors, have a litter box, and come and go as they please.
We moved to a new home, and now they are just terrified of being outside. Once we put them outside, one hides under the car, one hides under an eave on the roof, and one sits at the door yowling and digging at the weather stripping.
We've tried petting them and holding them while just sitting on the porch, but they are just so scared to be outside we can't stand to keep them out there much longer than a few minutes. Any ideas why or what I can do to calm them about going outside?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all if you JUST moved there, they need to stay INDOORS for a few weeks before you begin letting them outside. They need to know this is their new home and not get lost or try to find their way back to the last place.

Also if they don't want to go out, don't force them. Let them stay in if they want to, ESPECIALLY if they are scared outside now. They might not be used to things yet or might know of some hidden danger out there that you don't realize.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

First of all if you JUST moved there, they need to stay INDOORS for a few weeks before you begin letting them outside. They need to know this is their new home and not get lost or try to find their way back to the last place.

Also if they don't want to go out, don't force them. Let them stay in if they want to, ESPECIALLY if they are scared outside now. They might not be used to things yet or might know of some hidden danger out there that you don't realize.
This is great advice! Give them time to get used to their new home, and definitely don't force them to go outside if they are afraid.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm all for allowing cats to be outside if they want to be and if the area is safe for them. But moving to a new house, I would always keep them in for a bit until they know their new house, and then supervise when they are first outside, to make sure they know where home is and how to get in. And if they don't want to go out, there's no way I'd force the issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maotto3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it's been about 3 months and theyre very comfortable inside now (they werent at first, they conquered one room at a time and now rule the roost). i def. dont want to make them be in/out. these are my babies and i want them to be happy. i just know how much they loved it outside before. any ideas how to get them slowly acclimated to the outside? or ways i can know that it's just not gonna happen and to stop trying?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you not have any idea of what can happen to cats outdoors? Getting hit by cars, attacked by dogs, ingesting poison, drowning, being tortured by crazies, ditto cars again, getting stuck inadvertently (as my cat did) in garages or sheds, etc. that someone comes along and closes on them unknowingly, etc. etc. etc. If they're happy inside, for heaven's sake keep them there!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know many people would take their lack of interest as the sign you are looking for, and just accept that they don't want to go out. Some cats really aren't interested, and though these ones have been, there may be something about this neighbourhood that is putting them off. If that's the case, keeping on trying will just be stressful for all of you. For myself, I think I'd just let the matter be for now. If they ever showed interest in the future, that would be time enough to think about whether to allow it or not.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maotto3

it's been about 3 months and theyre very comfortable inside now (they werent at first, they conquered one room at a time and now rule the roost). i def. dont want to make them be in/out. these are my babies and i want them to be happy. i just know how much they loved it outside before. any ideas how to get them slowly acclimated to the outside? or ways i can know that it's just not gonna happen and to stop trying?
I would not try to force the issue. Maybe one day they will see you going out enough and want to go out too, maybe they will start meowing at the door to go outside, but for now just leave them be. I would not try to push the great outdoors on them. Keep them safe inside until they start asking to go out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something must have frightened them. Why insist they go outside? If they have decided to be indoor kitties - more power to them. IMO I'd not worry about it. Let them be indoor cats; its a lot safer.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never let mine out and they are fine inside. I also saw both my Neighbors Dead from being hit by Cars. Muffin another nieghbors Cat got Leukemia from going out.