WBCL users

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi , I'm slowly switching my kitties to WBCL from a clumping clay type. I was wondering if anyone has problems with bugs in WBCL during the warmer seasons since it is made from corn cob ? Any input is apprieciated.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, but I took some steps to make sure... I live in the southeast and the box is off of the garage (so plenty of bug oppertunities). I did the following:

1. Store extra in an air-tight container (If you're really worried, you can freeze it).
2. Make sure the box is not in a humid location (it will mold).
3. Check the box often and sweep (or vaccuum) around it at least once a week. I think the bugs are really attracted if the WBCL is on the floor around the box.

I did those steps with the WBCL and with the chicken feed when I was using it with no problems.

Art

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a tropical country and so far, no bug issues here!

I did have bug problems when I tried using chicken feed though....

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Abbymummy- when I was using the feed, I froze the unused portion (in giant ziploc bags) and unfroze as needed "just in case". grain products can come with uninvited guests sometimes

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put the bag in an old clay litter tub and shut it tight. No problems from bugs or humidity.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No bugs with us here, either. We just switched from clumping clay litter, and I love it! It almost has a sweet smell when it comes out of the bag...and NO dust!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm switching slowly and I'm glad to hear that bugs are not an issue. I tried switching earlier this year , but did it too quickly and kitties didn't like it. They let me know by only using the box with clay. This time I put in 1/4 WBCL and the rest clay and let them mix it in both boxes. So far so good!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

No bug issues and no odor issues, either. Just Gracie refusing to use it issues.
Same... I have one clay, and one WBCL and the clay one is full every evening, whereas the WBCL has maybe one wee in it.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Same... I have one clay, and one WBCL and the clay one is full every evening, whereas the WBCL has maybe one wee in it.
Exactly the same here. My cats hate the WBCL, I think it's the smell. It does smell odd.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same here...they'd rather use the carpet outside of the robot than the WBCL.
They keep me living up to my screen name.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No bug issue, and the litterbox is next to window/heater.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

I'm switching slowly and I'm glad to hear that bugs are not an issue. I tried switching earlier this year , but did it too quickly and kitties didn't like it. They let me know by only using the box with clay. This time I put in 1/4 WBCL and the rest clay and let them mix it in both boxes. So far so good!
That is how I made the switch, SLOWLY, and I am now at less than 5% clay litter in the boxes with ZERO problems.

I absolutely LOVE the WBCL, and yes, it is more expensive, but I am already seeing a savings over what I used to spend per month on clay litter!!!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That is how I made the switch, SLOWLY, and I am now at less than 5% clay litter in the boxes with ZERO problems.

I absolutely LOVE the WBCL, and yes, it is more expensive, but I am already seeing a savings over what I used to spend per month on clay litter!!!
I was bad and switched the box in our living room too fast.
But the dust on our electronics was insane. Our upstairs box is going to be g-r-a-d-u-a-l so Nabu will be ok with the new litter all the time. They have both used the living room box, so I think it's still a good sign.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I loved Word's Best but made the mistake of not closing it tightly during a big rainy season last spring and summer. I live in Southeast. I brought the bag of litter in to the house from my outside storage closet when changing out the litter and when I opened it up, four big roaches scrambled out! Yuck! Just be sure to close it tightly, maybe in another container, like others have suggested.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know putting a bay leaf in your flour will keep the weevils from hatching out. I wonder if it would have the same effect if you put it in your litter that is being stored? Just lay the leaf on the top of the litter (or your flour).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to switch back to Precious Cat because I've noticed the cat boxes being used less since the switch. I was thinking maybe they just didn't have to go as often untill yesterday when I witnessed my girl cat peeing and then walking out of the box while she was still going and thinking maybe that was an accident. Then this morning she was doing the same thing and then finished on the carpet! I then went to the pet store to get their old litter and put it in the cat boxes and all the cats jumped in and peed! I feel really bad to think they may have been holding it or peeing elsewhere. Anyways, I don't think I'll be changing litter anymore, but thanks for the input about bugs.