Long term non usage of the LB

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need more ideas, I've done everything I can think of.

Stats:
  • Bea
  • 4-5 years DLH
  • Front declawed / Re-declawed
  • Spayed
  • UTD on shots
  • No past history beyond a couple of months ago
Litter Box types I've tried:
  • XL low sided
  • XL highs sided
  • 16" x 22" underbed storage tub (low sided)
  • 18 Gal rubbermaid tub with lid off
  • Piddle Pads
  • Hospital Pads
I've tried:
  • Cat attract
  • Feliway
  • Swheat Scoop
  • Tidy Cats clay
  • Special Kitty clay
  • World's Best
  • A&H High Performance

• The longest she's used the LB for is 24 hours.
  • She used piddle pads for about 10 hours.
  • At vet for UTI check right now.
  • She's the only one using the box.
  • Hates other cats, so lives in my bedroom with the door closed & blankets jammed against the door. I don't think it's a kitty thing....
  • Box is in a "safe" place, she often goes near the box, but not in it.
  • She isn't spraying, this is urinating.
  • I tried aluminum foil, she ate it.
I can't keep her furr-ever.....no one will adopt a cat who doesn't use the LB. She was a stray originally, then surrendered for LB issues.

I've read the stickies, I've read every book I can get my hands on, I'm running out if ideas. All the cleaning up is getting to me & I know she's got to be picking up on my stress, she just out & out bit me last night.

Plan to see if I can get a gargantuan sterilite box & cut down one side for her to get in/out. Hoping the high sides/low entry side/clear box will be what she needs!!! Will hopefully know if she's got a UTI or not soon. that she has one!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... for a yes on UTI. I get it though. I could be posting this myself except for the duration of good usage. Oh, and the foil worked... sort of. She avoids it most of the time but if I forget to put it down she's there. Our entire kitchen is lined in tin foil.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried potting soil?? I had a rescue a long time ago that wouldn't use litter of any kind, nor shredded paper. One day I was repotting some of my house plants and she showed an extreme interest in the dirt, so I poured some of it into the litter box and she actually used it!! I just started adding a little litter to the dirt after a copule of days and she finally started using the litter. The bad thing about it is that you have to dump the dirt and clean the box every time they pee, but if it would help her find a forever home...it might be worth a try!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't taken the leap to potting soil because it's got all kinds of additives to it, I was afraid to use it & make her sick. What kind did you use?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh....I can't remember! That was a long time ago. I think you can get top soil in like....50 lb bags that's completely natural, now. Maybe you could try it?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

WE HAVE CRYSTALS IN THE URINE!!!!!!

Happy tears.....I wasn't sure what I was going to do with her if she didn't have something wrong!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!
I'm glad you at least have a reason for her LB problems. I hope that the issues clear up with the infection. No wonder she's so grumpy.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least now there is a reason behind her not using the box. TBH, I was feeling really guilty thinking it was the fact that I pushed for the re-declaw & that was causing the issues.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hope that resolves the issues; however keep in mind that many declawed cats DO have LB problems because of the declawing.

You know what will have to happen to her if she doesn't start using the LB after being cured of the UTI. One of two things (1) permanently caged like a stud cat or (2) put down.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

hope that resolves the issues; however keep in mind that many declawed cats DO have LB problems because of the declawing.

You know what will have to happen to her if she doesn't start using the LB after being cured of the UTI. One of two things (1) permanently caged like a stud cat or (2) put down.
Either that or she lives out her life in my bedroom.
I know you're right.....I just won't willingly admit it or give up. We've found "farm homes" (heated sheds that they are never allowed out of) for kitties like Bea before.

Trying to rig up a temporary LB until I get a sterilite tub for her!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've never been so happy to hear a cat is sick! Let's hope this was the answer to the LB problems (and maybe some of the grumpies too??)

for Bea...if this doesn't work, I would think she would need controlled outdoor access (like an enclosure)...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah its never good to make that final decision till all options are tried. I hope it does solve it; she's such a pretty cat. But if you choose the outside route, she can't be unsupervised. She would have to still be confined in some way.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Plan to see if I can get a gargantuan sterilite box & cut down one side for her to get in/out. Hoping the high sides/low entry side/clear box will be what she needs!!! Will hopefully know if she's got a UTI or not soon. that she has one!
I saw the post with the news about crystals. I think the above idea, plus a fine sandy unscented scooping litter should really help. And make sure any future adopters know that this is the litter she has to have.
Partially because of her issues, but also because she's been declawed twice.
Pam Johnson-Bennett says these are what declawed cats need to have. Also most store bought litter pans are not big enough for the average cat, let alone a big cat.

In addition to her meds and special food, she should be back to good litterbox usage soon.

I will add, I just started using World's Best Cat Litter in one of our pans, and the guys took to it right away. I don't know if you've tried it, but my front-declawed cats like it enough that we're going to be switching to all WBCL soon.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that they found something wrong in her UTI test! At least now, there is hope for her LB use after she is treated

Have you considered using just sand? Not sure if that would help, just a thought.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She won't use WBCL, none of my cats will.
She's using....ummm....I think Tidy Cats scoop at the moment. I scattered large items where she likes to pee, she climbed up on the carrier to pee there, so I scooped her up & pet her in the LB. As long as she was looking over the edge of it, she was fine. She did pee in there.

But she also peed on something else last night & it's just red. I don't recall seeing her pee so red before.....& I do plan to call the vet to see if they found blood in her urine.

E-mail intrested in her, someone else replied & I plan to reply also with the good info!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Did the medication change the color of her pee?

Laurie
I was thinking that too, especially if it's a brighter-orange color. When I have UTIs, the pain medication I use (Uristat I think?) turns your pee bright orange.

Of course call the vet though!