A few Questions

rupydoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am new here and I have a few questions. I am fostering mama kitty for the first time and I think she is close to giving birth. I have been reading others posts and think that my girl is getting close. She is very big and I can see and feel the kittens moving. At first it was very slight, but now I can watch her tummy roll and bump. Does anyone have any ideas when I should be looking for her to have these babies? She doesn't have her milk in yet but she does have a little bit of colostrum. I have her nest boxes set up throughout the house. Will confining her encourage her to have the kittens, or will they just come when they come.... I was wondering because I noticed that a lot of you encouraged confining the cat to one room... I don't think she would like that because she follows me from room to room... She likes to know where I am! Any ideas?

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Someone will come along soon to answer your questions. My cat Dill is expecting and has had colustrum for a week, and i can see the kittens moving from across the room for at least 5 days now...if not longer, It is different for every cat. Do you have any idea when she may have mated???

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco would get kicked hard 2 weeks before she had. She was huge as a house. They will come when they are ready. Coco had a box but had in the Bath Tub. She had in the laundry insread of her box.

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there and welcome,

I am also dealing with a soon-to-be-mama cat for the first time ever. According to my vet, you will only see the kittens move in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy and colostrum will appear just a few days before delivery. So it sounds like you are very close.

ANd I don't think confining a cat will encourage birth. The reason many are doing it on this site is because they took in pregnant strays and they are keeping them separate from their other cats (to avoid fights, spreading of disease, fleas, mites, worms etc).

I don't have any other cats, so my pregnant stray gets the run of the house. There are a lot of people on this site with lots of experience (I'm not one of them!), and they have been really generous about sharing their experiences and knowledge to help us novices out. So post any questions you have....I'm sure someone will know the answers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rupydoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

Hi there and welcome,

ANd I don't think confining a cat will encourage birth. The reason many are doing it on this site is because they took in pregnant strays and they are keeping them separate from their other cats (to avoid fights, spreading of disease, fleas, mites, worms etc).

Ahh... I thought that was a little strange. Now I understand, I don't have that problem, so I guess she get to continue to be queen of the castle! So, if I have been able to see movement now for about a week and a half, I should be on the home stretch eh? I keep looking at her and empathizing, poor thing looks so pregnant and miserable, I am so nervous about everything going well... How much of a notice should I get from her before she actually gives birth... Strange behavior, discharge, things like that... I want to be sure I'm here!