Cleaning oil spots from fabric couch

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what sort of fabric it is... It's thick, sturdy woven stuff. Pretty colour fast.

Last night we tried some sausages we found (I wish American butchers would learn to do REAL sausages!!!), and I bit into one, and oil actually squirted out of the sausage and all over the couch. I now have about a dozen oil spots across the couch. I tried stain remover last night "Guaranteed to remove oil stains!", which didn't work, and am not sure what to try next.

Anyone got any ideas? (Apart from eating at the dining table, rather than the couch...)

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used this on Jeans and heavy fabric. YOu don't have to be able to wash in a washing machine but it is best. But Hot water in Step 4 can be applied with a clean towl to rather successful results. I did it on the arm of mt couch I spilt some oil-perfume on.

You will need:

Laundry Pretreatment - like spray and wash
Paper towels
Dry-cleaning Solvent - you have to look for this one but your drycleaner may have it
Talcum Powder
Cornstarches

Step 1:
Apply an absorbent such as talcum powder or cornstarch to the affected area, then brush away. If the stain is heavy or old, proceed to Step 2; if fresh, skip to Step 3.

Step 2:
Place stain facedown on paper towels. Blot back of stain with a dry-cleaning solvent. Replace paper towels as they soak up the stain.

Step 3:
Spray with laundry pretreatment.

Step 4:
Wash in the hottest water that's safe for the garment.

Step 5:
Air dry.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many great sausages producers in Wisconsin!!!!

Anyhow....

per all my stain guides: non washable fabrics apply dry cleaning fluid from the edges to the center of the stains. Let dry completely before repeating. Or use an absorbent substance suc as cornstarch or cornmeal. Dust on greasy stain wait until it looks caked then brush off gently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

There are many great sausages producers in Wisconsin!!!!
When I say sausages I mean savoury beef sausages, not the wurst style "spicy" sauage that repeats on you for hours. Not pork, not chicken, not hot links, not "breakfast" sausages.... "English style" sausages. One of the foods I really miss!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean the bland tasteless ones??? I missed the good ole USA ones when I was visiting the UK. There has to be a source of these for you somewhere/