beans beans the magical fruit!

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
Ive been trying to eat healthier foods and have decided to start buying and cooking dried beans, however I have never even attempted to cook beans before. It says something about soaking the beans in water for a while before cooking, but I cant seem to find any healthy recipes. Does anyone here have any? I got black eyed peas, kidney beans, and pinto beans, anyone have any recipes to share? I dont have to use all the beans in the same recipe, and I do also have a assortment of differnet canned beans as well.

Thank you!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to epicurious.com or the Whole Foods websites for recipes.
If you are using dried beans they will need to be soaked before using. Just follow the package directions!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karen (AbbysMom) shared this website with me and it has a feature where you put in the ingredients you have and it picks recipes for you! www.allrecipes.com you go under "More Searches" and click on "ingredient search"

Black beans are my favorite

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my family we always sang Beans, beans, good for your heart....

I bring my dry beans to a low boil then turn off the heat and cover them and soak overnight (this usually takes the gas out ).
Then I drain and rinse thoroughly and cook away.

I love to take 3-5 different kinds and just make a bean soup.
You can usually get dried bean soup kits most anywhere, but I just make mine as I go.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE beans so much. They are one of my favorite foods. I like ham and beans.
The best part is I don't get that musical when I eat them if you know what I mean.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mmm black beans are so yummy! They're good with cilantro, lime, and onion. If you're going to eat black eyed peas, make sure you have ketchup!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

Hello everyone,
Ive been trying to eat healthier foods and have decided to start buying and cooking dried beans, however I have never even attempted to cook beans before. It says something about soaking the beans in water for a while before cooking, but I cant seem to find any healthy recipes. Does anyone here have any? I got black eyed peas, kidney beans, and pinto beans, anyone have any recipes to share? I dont have to use all the beans in the same recipe, and I do also have a assortment of differnet canned beans as well.

Thank you!
Beans are the mainstay of my diet. They are high in protein and fiber. Soak them the night before you simply put them in a pot of simmering water and slow cook them for a few hours until they are to the point you like them. I have no fancy recipes, I just mix them up with rice and salsa. You are talking ZERO fat here and I lost a great deal of weight thanks to my friends the beans.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my moms refried beans with onions
Probably not so healthy..but she should rival any refried bean at any restaurant

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

Mmm black beans are so yummy! They're good with cilantro, lime, and onion. If you're going to eat black eyed peas, make sure you have ketchup!
Oh yuck! I have to say I'm not a fan of ketchup. I do, however, love black-eyed peas and rice. Oh yeah!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black eyed peas, with pepper sauce (the vinegar from pickled hot peppers), mayo and cornbread...Mmmmmm

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought beans were the "musical food."

We love beans! We eat a lot of vegetarian meals and Mexican food, so beans are a staple around here. Here are tried and true recipes. Let me know what you think if you try them.

Pot o' Beans
makes 6 cups

2 cups dried pinto (or black) beans
1 large onion, peeled and halved
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
10 cups water
1 teaspoon salt, added after beans are cooked

Soak pinto beans overnight in water to cover. (Soak black beans for 1-2 hours.) Drain and add the 10 cups of water, onion, and garlic. Bring to gentle boil then simmer for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. Times will vary depending on the age and type of beans. While simmering, partly cover the pot with a lid.

When beans are firm yet tender, add the salt and cook another 10-15 minutes. Remove any onion and mash in the garlic if it's still visible.

You don't have to soak the beans but they will be gassier and the cooking time will be longer if you don't. Enjoy as is, freeze for later, or use in recipes, nachos, burritos, with eggs for breakfast...

Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)

Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover with a pinch of baking soda. The next day, add more water if needed, salt well, and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, partly covered, until tender (about 1.5 to 2 hours). Garbanzo beans can be cooked without soaking but the cooking time will be longer.

Curried Garbanzo Beans
from The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two, by Anna Thomas

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans with reserved liquid
1 Tablespoon butter or oil
1 teaspoon ground corriander
1 teaspoon. ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use New Mexico chile powder)
3/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
salt to taste
2 Tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (corriander leaves)
1 firm tomato, cut into 1/4" dice

Melt the butter in a sauce pan and over low heat stir in the spices. Allow them to heat, stirring often, for a few minutes.

Stir in the garbanzo beans and enough of the reserved liquid to just barely cover them. Stir well, and mash a few of the beans with a fork or potato masher.

Cook the beans over a medium flame for about 20 inutes, or until the sauce is quite thick, stirring often. Remove from heat.

Stir in the lemon juice, the chopped cilantro, andt he diced tomato. Taste, and correct the seasoning.

Serves 4 to 6

I'm not a curry fan but I LOVE this recipe. It doesn't matter how much I make, it always gets eaten. I make this with rice, a dal, and a cucumber raita from the same cookbook. I'm cooking for the half the day, but it's worth it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said you are trying to eat healthy, but not vegatarian, right? A quick, easy and delicious meal is brown 1lb of lean hamburger (or turkey), cook a can of pinto bean and a can of corn in separate pots. Once everything is done drain the besns and corn and put in the skillet with the meat and add barbeque sauce or salsa. Rice would be good in it too. My problem is I always smother it with shredded chedder cheese...not so healthy! Assorted bean mix with ham makes a great bean soup too.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live on beans and bean derived products. I adore chickpeas, they go with absolutely everything.
I've never felt beans are a particulary "musical" food.