So scared...

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the ER a few minutes ago.. I basically woke up around 2:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. Well just out of nowhere, I started having skipping sensations in my heart, slight chest pain, felt dizzy and a little bit short of breath. I started shaking all over, so I drove up to the hospital.. They did an EKG and it was normal. Ran blood tests and they were normal. I did also have some heartburn and reflux, so I got nexium and some stuff that they give that numbs the esophagus, throat, etc. Well I felt better after they gave me the meds, but a few minutes after that I got dizzy again. It scared me really bad and my heart started to skip again.. So I called the nurse, and they ran another EKG, and it came back normal again. I just can't figure out why it was cause it felt like my heart was fluttering and I just felt scared again. I do have high blood pressure and only taking a water pill for that, so I think I need to get back on some meds for it. I can't tell you how scared I still am that I could have a heart attack. My mom had heart disease, as well as my late sister (who was much older than me). They both died 2 years apart from each other in '98 and 2000... Sorry I had to rant a bit, but I'm just terrified and stressed out over this. I'm only 29 years old and can't even think of the possibility of having heart problems. Has anyone heard of younger people having heart problems??

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can imagine how upseting this is I would definately not let it go with doctors but also, don't let it stress you out because that's not good for your heart.
These days you have to take an active roll in your own health treatment because Doctors don't push the issue if you don't.
I don't know about anony that I know personally having heart trouble at a young age but remember that movie star Bruce Lee (martial arts) I think he dies in his 30's from a massive heart attack.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot quite grasp how scary this must have been for you because I have never experienced anything like that. I will pray for you though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormchickx

so I drove up to the hospital.
I need to address this first because I was horrified when I saw that! You should have called 911 and not driven. You could have passed out and killed not only yourself but someone else!

Have you been drinking caffeine? Things such as tea, coffee, dark colas, mountain dew, chocolate?

It sounds like you are having ectopic heart beats which is common and expected in the average person and because they only last a few seconds by the time an EKG is done it's gone. However, if these beats are affecting you as you say, you really need to get it checked out further.

You should go see your family doctor and ask for a referal to a cardiologist. They can do a 24 hour heart monitor called a "Holter Monitor". It's a mini EKG type device that you wear for 24 hours and record your symptoms and the time and what you were doing when they appeared. Once they have a 24 hour strip done, they can see if there is any irregularities. From there they can determine what other tests they need to be doing such as "MUGA Scan" or "Echocardiogram" or even an MRI of your heart.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can follow up with your doctor, and explain what happened. It sounds very much like a panic attack, which can be brought on by the palpitations you describe, and palpitations can be normal. Ask your doctor, and see if they can do the Holter monitor.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

...It sounds very much like a panic attack...
That's what I was thinking; I get anxiety attacks and my heart will race, sometimes for up to 30 minutes. It can happen anytime, anywhere. I once had an attack while we were having a nice lunch in a restaurant; there's no direct cause-and-affect link. I have to just ride it out and afterwards I'm pretty tired.

My doctor in Berkeley had a theory that the attacks were related to thyroid release in the body.

I agree that you should pursue this and find out what's going on; I hope everything works out O.K.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I started shaking all over, so I drove up to the hospital..
Honey - do NOT do that ever again!!!!!!! If you think you're having problems call 911. If you're just worried and don't think it's an emergency, but want to be seen, get a friend to drive you at the very least. If you had have blacked out, you'd be dead from the car accident.

Do you see a cardiologist? If not, go along and let them know what's happening and see what they can do. They'll be able to thoroughly check out your heart - if you have a risk of heart disease in your family, you should do this anyway, and get your cholesterol checked regularly.

And yes - it is possible for young people to have heart problems. I just turned 27 in December, and had open heart surgery in January. Mine was a genetic defect, not heart disease, but do not ever let anyone tell you that you're too young for heart problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As it turns out, my potassium was low so they gave me some potassium to take today, then wrote a prescription for two additional doses. Believe me the next time this happens, I'll have someone drive me up there cause I just felt jittery the whole trip up there.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some others have said it sounds like it might have been a panic attack. Do you suffer from anxiety or are you under a lot of stress? I sure hope it's nothing serious.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had panic attacks off and on over the last 4 years now and was on paxil cr for it. I think I was on that for a couple of years and then went off of it. I then tried Lexapro but when I moved, I couldn't get the refills because my former Dr was ordering it from the pharmeceutical company, so i've been off it for a couple of years.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As it turns out, my potassium was low so they gave me some potassium to take today, then wrote a prescription for two additional doses. Believe me the next time this happens, I'll have someone drive me up there cause I just felt jittery the whole trip up there.
I got tachycardia after my heart surgery (increased heart rate), and I was taking diuretics to help get rid of excess fluid after surgery, which also stripped you of potassium, and then potassium supplements to help replace the lost potassium. Because I didn't have any fluid build up though (no puffiness anywhere), they wondered if I was just losing too much potassium, so took me off the diuretics and supplements, and said to just eat lots of bananas, apricots, raisins, potatoes, tomato products..... ummm.... can't remember what else.

So try eating more foods high in potassium (but low in sodium) as well.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is certainly a wake-up call for me to get this weight off me and eat better. I think someone's trying to tell me something.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! That is scary!! But I have had pain and fluttering before too....

I have been to the ER as well, and they found nothing! I know when I went a few yrs ago the dr told me I was way too young for heart problems...

I still every now and again get fluttery in my chest and it is an awful feeling!

to you!!!! you will be better soon!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think someone's trying to tell me something.
This someone is telling you that you are very special to your kitties and us and we are glad that you are being proactive in managing your health!
What a scare that you had - esp. with your family history. I am so sorry that you lost your mom & sis. I'm sending lots of vibes that you find out the cause & that it gets taken care of for good

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, misconceptions - you're never too young for anything.

I get chest tightness/pain, tachycardia with palpitations, dizziness and lightheadedness that often put me on the floor, along with a lot other little problems. In my case - my heart is fine or should be, the holter monitor showed nothing.

If your doctor does do the holter monitor you may or may not be stuck in the hospital for it. So be prepared for that. I failed an EKG so maybe that's why I was put in (something silly too, the left ventricle wasn't full).

Try what was suggested - cut caffeine out. It's easier then it sounds. The high blood pressure needs to treated, maybe this is your warning that you need more than a diuretic for it. I have to commend you though, at least you sought medical help - I've had a couple situations that I know I should have gone to the ER for but didn't. I hope you can get this figured out and treated.

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been 29 for about 20 yrs now,I suppose I should change it to 39. I have something that was found by wearing the portable monitor that was mentioned before. I can't remember the name of it but my heart will just stop for no apparent reason and after a bit it would restart. I didn't have a clue it was happening because it only occurred while I was asleep. I now have a pacemaker/defibulator installed so that this doesn't happen anymore.It's entirely possible that the portable monitor saved my life. I do have to admit that going to sleep and not waking up is not a bad way to go. I would just hate to do it at this age.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

And yes - it is possible for young people to have heart problems.
That is so true! I had a patient that was 21 years old and she had a massive heart attack on a transit bus. They had to do CPR and use the paddles before they even transported her to the hospital in the ambulance. Her heart stopped twice enroute. Turns out it was an undiagnosed congenital heart defect (forget what) that they ended up repairing in the OR. She had been so sick that none of us thought she would pull through. I remember the day she was discharged home. It was nothing short of a miracle that she survived.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the palpitations I get. I have had faintness with it, though rarely, and have had stretches of it being "regularly irregular" as well as some little runs of tachycardia.

In my case, I back off the caffeine, and was found to have a sloppy mitral valve - sometimes it prolapses, sometimes it works as it should.

This was found in my late 20's. In my case there seems to be a famililar aspect, some of my cousins have issues. My grandmother, late in life, required a pacemaker due to sick sinus syndrome.

I agree with everyone who's posted that a referral to a cardiologist might bring you more information and some peace of mind in knowing what is going on.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I got tachycardia after my heart surgery (increased heart rate), and I was taking diuretics to help get rid of excess fluid after surgery, which also stripped you of potassium, and then potassium supplements to help replace the lost potassium. Because I didn't have any fluid build up though (no puffiness anywhere), they wondered if I was just losing too much potassium, so took me off the diuretics and supplements, and said to just eat lots of bananas, apricots, raisins, potatoes, tomato products..... ummm.... can't remember what else.

So try eating more foods high in potassium (but low in sodium) as well.
Yes, yes, yes. Low potassium is nothing to fool with.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as another thing to look at, have you been checked for mitral valve prolapse? I have that and my heart races, more so if I have caffeine. I don't have the other problems, but I hear that some people do.