TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sr. cats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sr. cats

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I have a page a day calendar on my desk that is cats. Today's cat has a caption about senior cats becoming "crochety and depressed" because they can't do everything the once did and how the cat responds to that by becoming aloof or clingy. The reason I'm confused is because it's attached to a 3ys cat?! I never thought of 3 as senior even for cats. Heck, Frankie will be 10 this year and I still don't often think of her as a senior.
post #2 of 25
At 3 their still babies!. Mine could be 21 and over (I pray!) and they'll still be young in my eyes

Isn't 7 when they hit senior age anyway?.
post #3 of 25
I've heard 7 is the start of the "senior" years...but I have known many cats that didn't show their age until 12, 13 or older...

Yes I would consider 3 an adult cat, not a senior.
post #4 of 25
Smokey my last cat was at least 16 when he passed away. But the entire time we had him he had a bit of an attitude problem. I don't think it comes with age, it's just the finer aspects of their personality coming out when your not expecting it. Like people do cat's get set in their ways.
post #5 of 25
With Ox turning 19 next month I don't think his personality has really changed at all with age. He has several annoying habits that he has had for several years!!
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Wickett is just now 3 and still very kittenish. Frankie, as I said will be 10 this year and sure she sleeps a lot but she always has. I don't think of her as a Sr. even though she probably is... in part because she still has NO problem putting Wickett in his place.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Wickett is just now 3 and still very kittenish. Frankie, as I said will be 10 this year and sure she sleeps a lot but she always has. I don't think of her as a Sr. even though she probably is... in part because she still has NO problem putting Wickett in his place.
Rosie's nearly 6 years old, and you should see her play with Jack. I think he brings out the kitten in her myself
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
Rosie's nearly 6 years old, and you should see her play with Jack. I think he brings out the kitten in her myself
I bet. That's what I was hoping for when I brought Wickett home but he only seems to have brought our the grump in her. Occasionally I think she play fights him but most times she's just showing him who's boss.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBella View Post
I've heard 7 is the start of the "senior" years...but I have known many cats that didn't show their age until 12, 13 or older....
... As well I read about it too........
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
That's what I was hoping for when I brought Wickett home but he only seems to have brought our the grump in her.
Now theres Sophie who's 3 years old. I thought she would be the one to play with Jack being younger but she's not. She doesn't want to play his games and lets him know as well by growling at him. She'll snuggle with him no problem, but if he wants Sophie to have a wrestle with him, no way, that's Rosie's department
post #11 of 25
I just read my own calendar with that and was kinda confused too! The kitty in the pic does not look 3 though, you can see her age around her eyes (just like humans ) maybe it was a typo?
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I just read my own calendar with that and was kinda confused too! The kitty in the pic does not look 3 though, you can see her age around her eyes (just like humans ) maybe it was a typo?
I was wondering that... maybe they left a 1 off the front (13). Your right about the eyes... you can tell she is older and very pretty too!
post #13 of 25
I love the black spot on her nose!
post #14 of 25
I saw the same thing on my calendar today but just figured they screwed up somehow...Make sure you get that Calendar next year because my Sweet Severino is going to be in it
post #15 of 25
Tedi will be 16 in about a week! He's still active and eats like a horse! He has done well with his heart murmur.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
I saw the same thing on my calendar today but just figured they screwed up somehow...Make sure you get that Calendar next year because my Sweet Severino is going to be in it
How exciting! I'll be sure to.

I loved the one last week of the "screaming" kitten. It makes me smile every day to see a new kitty or two... so I'll definitely be getting next years.
post #17 of 25
Heck, my 3-year-old's, Pete and Claire, still act like kittens. Pete's a nut. Gracie will be 9 in a few months and shows no signs of slowing down. Katie's going on 15 and has started to slow down some, but she's still very playful.
post #18 of 25
No 3 is not senior. My Maggie will be 3 in a couple months and she still chases her tail and the best part looks suprised that it hurts when she bites it (It's a good thing she's so cute because she is not the smartest cat in the world). I think what makes a cat a senior depends on the cat. My last cat Smokey did become more clingy as she became older. She had always been very indpendant & didn't like to cuddle much, but as she got older she wanted to spend much more time with me.
post #19 of 25
They say 7 is a senior. Damita is 7, & she acts like she's 30. Just old & creaky.

It's going to depend on the kitty. My vet said as cats are living older, he now considers 10 to be a senior. He does reccomend senior blood panels, etc for kitties 7+.
post #20 of 25
7 is middle age and thus insides start slowing down yes many vet are now waiting till 10 to call them seniors
post #21 of 25
Spaz will be 14 this year, but I'd get claws upside my head if I ever called her a senior to her face

3 is just a baby cat still.
post #22 of 25
Popsie is going on 17 but he acts like a kitten. Really the only way he's showing his age is he's got a lot of grays in his black fur and he's somewhat crochety when he gets up from sleeping. That's about it though.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat1 View Post
Popsie is going on 17 but he acts like a kitten. Really the only way he's showing his age is he's got a lot of grays in his black fur and he's somewhat crochety when he gets up from sleeping. That's about it though.
I still can't believe his age with all the stories you have. Go Popsie!
post #24 of 25
Shenandoah and Humble will be 8 in April. I guess they're seniors.
post #25 of 25
Coco hasnt changed and she will be 16 anyday. She does have Arthitis bad though. One Day she hissed at me a few months ago and I thought it was from her bladder infection but it was pain from her Arthitis. they gave her a pain shot and pain meds for a few days and she hasnt hissed since. My Meeko will be 8 in June and she hasnt changed either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sr. cats