Sr. cats

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I have a page a day calendar on my desk that is cats. Today's cat has a caption about senior cats becoming "crochety and depressed" because they can't do everything the once did and how the cat responds to that by becoming aloof or clingy. The reason I'm confused is because it's attached to a 3ys cat?! I never thought of 3 as senior even for cats. Heck, Frankie will be 10 this year and I still don't often think of her as a senior.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard 7 is the start of the "senior" years...but I have known many cats that didn't show their age until 12, 13 or older...

Yes I would consider 3 an adult cat, not a senior.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokey my last cat was at least 16 when he passed away. But the entire time we had him he had a bit of an attitude problem. I don't think it comes with age, it's just the finer aspects of their personality coming out when your not expecting it. Like people do cat's get set in their ways.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Ox turning 19 next month I don't think his personality has really changed at all with age. He has several annoying habits that he has had for several years!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wickett is just now 3 and still very kittenish. Frankie, as I said will be 10 this year and sure she sleeps a lot but she always has. I don't think of her as a Sr. even though she probably is... in part because she still has NO problem putting Wickett in his place.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Wickett is just now 3 and still very kittenish. Frankie, as I said will be 10 this year and sure she sleeps a lot but she always has. I don't think of her as a Sr. even though she probably is... in part because she still has NO problem putting Wickett in his place.
Rosie's nearly 6 years old, and you should see her play with Jack. I think he brings out the kitten in her myself

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Rosie's nearly 6 years old, and you should see her play with Jack. I think he brings out the kitten in her myself
I bet. That's what I was hoping for when I brought Wickett home but he only seems to have brought our the grump in her. Occasionally I think she play fights him but most times she's just showing him who's boss.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

That's what I was hoping for when I brought Wickett home but he only seems to have brought our the grump in her.
Now theres Sophie who's 3 years old. I thought she would be the one to play with Jack being younger but she's not. She doesn't want to play his games and lets him know as well by growling at him. She'll snuggle with him no problem, but if he wants Sophie to have a wrestle with him, no way, that's Rosie's department

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read my own calendar with that and was kinda confused too! The kitty in the pic does not look 3 though, you can see her age around her eyes (just like humans
) maybe it was a typo?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I just read my own calendar with that and was kinda confused too! The kitty in the pic does not look 3 though, you can see her age around her eyes (just like humans
) maybe it was a typo?
I was wondering that... maybe they left a 1 off the front (13). Your right about the eyes... you can tell she is older and very pretty too!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the same thing on my calendar today but just figured they screwed up somehow...Make sure you get that Calendar next year because my Sweet Severino is going to be in it

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I saw the same thing on my calendar today but just figured they screwed up somehow...Make sure you get that Calendar next year because my Sweet Severino is going to be in it
How exciting! I'll be sure to.

I loved the one last week of the "screaming" kitten. It makes me smile every day to see a new kitty or two... so I'll definitely be getting next years.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heck, my 3-year-old's, Pete and Claire, still act like kittens. Pete's a nut.
Gracie will be 9 in a few months and shows no signs of slowing down. Katie's going on 15 and has started to slow down some, but she's still very playful.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No 3 is not senior. My Maggie will be 3 in a couple months and she still chases her tail and the best part looks suprised that it hurts when she bites it (It's a good thing she's so cute because she is not the smartest cat in the world). I think what makes a cat a senior depends on the cat. My last cat Smokey did become more clingy as she became older. She had always been very indpendant & didn't like to cuddle much, but as she got older she wanted to spend much more time with me.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They say 7 is a senior. Damita is 7, & she acts like she's 30. Just old & creaky.

It's going to depend on the kitty. My vet said as cats are living older, he now considers 10 to be a senior. He does reccomend senior blood panels, etc for kitties 7+.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
7 is middle age and thus insides start slowing down yes many vet are now waiting till 10 to call them seniors