New here

ellablue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am new here and I want to say hello to everyone. This seems like a great place. I have kind of an urgent question. I just adopted a 7 yr old cat. She is very shy in many ways, yet very loving.
Anyway, she comes out for love as she wants, as I have only had her less than a week, and I give her, her space....

Last night she came up on the bed, and I was patting her and she turned around and bit me quite HARD. I was very surprised. Very. I know that at times cats will grab you if they don't want to be patted, but she seemed very mad for that moment.

Could this be part of her adjusting?
Thanks so much.....

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EllaBlue

Hi everyone. I am new here and I want to say hello to everyone. This seems like a great place. I have kind of an urgent question. I just adopted a 7 yr old cat. She is very shy in many ways, yet very loving.
Anyway, she comes out for love as she wants, as I have only had her less than a week, and I give her, her space....

Last night she came up on the bed, and I was patting her and she turned around and bit me quite HARD. I was very surprised. Very. I know that at times cats will grab you if they don't want to be patted, but she seemed very mad for that moment.

Could this be part of her adjusting?
Thanks so much.....
Hello, and welcome to the best cat site around!

Keep giving her space for a while. Mine took more than a week to adjust and I did not try to pet her during that time.

We have a lot of support and advice to give here. We also have a game called KatKwiz, which teaches you things about The Cat Site and also allows you to win lots of points. Just click on the here link below to learn more. Glad you decided to join us!

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
welcome Ella

i cannot help u with your prob but i just wanted to say hey and i am sure u will find these forums very useful and everyone very friendly & helpful

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!!! I knew it was a girl just by the behavior!!!
I don't know what it is, but females seem to be much more moody than males. Leya is a year and a half and she'll still do that every once in a while.

I think you just need to let her adjust more. She's still very new to the area and is probably unsure of herself. Considering that she is an older cat, maybe she has had bad experiences with people and she's not sure what your intentions are?

Anything we change in our household takes Leya about a month to adjust to. Give your girl a month and I bet she will be a totally different cat!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

You might have startled her. I know with Sibohan who was 2 or 3 whe I adopted her she had been found, no one was sure of her background but she took a long time to come around and even now she will take a swipe at you if you startle her, and she dosn't like to be grabed no matter what. She is one of those cats that comes to you if she wan't affection.

Perhaps giving your cat more time to adjust would be prudent. If she was in an animal shelter she might not be used to not having other cats around and is having a hard time ajusting. Give it time, she'll lighten up.