Poo Stuck to Fur

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've had to deal with this a few times in the past but today both Chloe & Mattie had bits hanging in their fur and it was a bit much. They aren't tiny bits either, and sometimes they drop onto the floor...

Both are long-haired cats, but Matilda's hair is considerably longer than Chloe's.

Is there anything I can do to help this? Do I need to use less litter?

They are getting sick of me chasing them with scissors and paper towels and cat wipes.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first brought Jack home he had that issue--so we trimmed his rear end fur alittle. Many here recommended it for long haired cats. He no longer has the issue, so we haven't trimmed lately.

Leslie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe other members on here have called it the "butt cut"
where they just buzz that area with a pair of clippers. (sort of like how boy kitties come home after a neuter with that area clipped) If you have a groomer or a vet that would be willing to do this for you, that should solve the problem.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bea is my first (and hopefully last) LH foster. I got a shaver thingy & shaved the hair off around her bum & at the base of her tail.

She hasn't had any cling-ons since!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Ok, I've had to deal with this a few times in the past but today both Chloe & Mattie had bits hanging in their fur and it was a bit much. They aren't tiny bits either, and sometimes they drop onto the floor...

Both are long-haired cats, but Matilda's hair is considerably longer than Chloe's.

They are getting sick of me chasing them with scissors and paper towels and cat wipes.
Nobody else ever mentions this so I will. This stopped being an issue with my longhair when I changed his diet so that his poop was well formed. Of course I check this when I scoop. Since his new diet, this has never been an issue.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Nobody else ever mentions this so I will. This stopped being an issue with my longhair when I changed his diet so that his poop was well formed. Of course I check this when I scoop. Since his new diet, this has never been an issue.
I have always had to do the "butt cut" too and chasing & wiping the cat got real old for both of us.....
until, like Persi & Alley...I changed her diet to something that finally made her poops firmer and now she can leave the litter box without either one of us running!

I have tried several different foods in the last year, sometimes you just have to find the one that works best for YOUR cat

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

As others have mentioned you can try changing their diet. In the mean time I suggest a sanitary shave too. (aka the butt cut) I've had to trim Wickett in the past but I have to use scissors because the buzz of the clippers terrifies him!

Probably as sick as you are of chasing them!
When I chase Wickett he'll usually flop over and roll onto his back.

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Samson is a long haired so its good to know how to combat this in advanced. It doesnt make them look too strange does it having trimmed bum fur?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosie_863

Samson is a long haired so its good to know how to combat this in advanced. It doesnt make them look too strange does it having trimmed bum fur?
Honestly I think it depends on the cat. Wickett has a very thick fluffy undercoat so I can barely tell when I've trimmed the fur on his back side. I also taper down the backs of his legs.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had problems with pee and poo. Stan still gets a regular butt cut because although we no longer have chronic soft poo problems, he still gets litter stuck to his fur with pee.

I don't trim him all the way down to the skin, I just trim it down to the length of a short-haired cat and this keeps him pretty clean. Every few weeks I check his "bloomers" and trim them with either blunt ended shears or DH's hair trimmer (yes he knows)

sweetie kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
strange_wings;2192512 said:
I believe other members on here have called it the "butt cut"

The butt cut... that's funny!
But I was having the same problem, except the poo was getting stuck to his legs instead of his bum. Someone here recommended a larger ca box, and that has helped. I also think that their diet has a lot to do with it. I had to change their food to special food for urinary tract health, and that makes their poo loose, so food might be a part of your problem.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
with 5 lh kitties I completly understand the cling on issue you are having. I try and keep them clean shaven in the back, but in rare cases this doesn't work, as gross as it sounds the best thing to do is to let it "dry" and then try to comb it out. Noone wants to leave it on there longer than it has to be, but trust me, it is easier to comb it out than it is to try and wipe it out and then it smears on the fur. Good luck, I would suggest the sanitary clip!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

I have always had to do the "butt cut" too and chasing & wiping the cat got real old for both of us.....
until, like Persi & Alley...I changed her diet to something that finally made her poops firmer and now she can leave the litter box without either one of us running!

I have tried several different foods in the last year, sometimes you just have to find the one that works best for YOUR cat
diet is definitely an issue here. i have all shorthaired cats, but i bought nutro maxcat dry & wet last time i got food, 'cause it was on sale - BIG mistake! someone is having really soft poos [probably Cable, she's most prone to it] & that's been the only change. so i'll be switching back to Chicken Soup or Authority, regardless of sales! this is the main reason i don't try out the higher quality foods... Cable has issues w/really rich diets. i've tried in the past to 'improve' their diet, & she's reacted in this way.
now, yours may be the opposite problem - maybe the diet is not god enough. but, in my case, i'm positive that the majority of the premium foods are just not right for her.