Help! Our Cat is Stuck in Attic

opus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of our 4 yo female cats (we have two from the same litter) has managed to get herself stuck in one of the eaves of our attic crawlspace. This was Saturday evening she's still there as I post this.

We've tried to lure her out there with dry treats. We've tried to physically get her out - she is resisting. Her weight is definately part of the problem as her rear is what appears to be stuck we can see her face perfectly.

We've left her fresh water but no food beyond the dry treats. She meows a good portion of the night and her sister follows suit. Any suggestions?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call a professional. There are people who know how to handle these problems.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest tuna, but if she's stuck and physically won't be able to get out, you need to call animal control or maybe the fire department (they would know who to talk to).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all. My wife called our vet this afternoon and she suggested placing a can of sardines close to where she is. We did this a few hours ago and so far she's not interested.

If she's not out tomorrow AM, we're calling the Animal Rescue League.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh.. good luck.. please let us know how it goes :worried:

opus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so the sardines did not work (but boy, did they stink up the attic, LOL) and we contacted our town animal control officer. She brought over a pair of arm length protective gloves and some type of prong mechanism, which we used to no avail. We did find out, however, that is not truly stuck - she can move around in the space behind the eave. We believe the opening may just be too small for her to fit through. This morning we left a can of tuna (human) to see if that might entice her out of there. Left no other food but we have been leaving her food and water the last few days.

We may have to saw a joist to make the eave opening larger to pull her out of there, if all else fails. So far we haven't picked up on any urine or feces smell in the crawl space.

Someone here at work today suggested putting her litter box in the crawl space. We may try that before sawing the joist.

Thanks for listening, all.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get her out quickly. If you have to cut into the wall or the roof or whatever and give her space to get out. She hasn't eaten in what? Four days? Healthwise, very dangerous for her. You could end up losing her if you don't get her out now.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Get her out quickly. If you have to cut into the wall or the roof or whatever and give her space to get out. She hasn't eaten in what? Four days? Healthwise, very dangerous for her. You could end up losing her if you don't get her out now.
Originally Posted by Opus

we have been leaving her food and water the last few days.
I sure hope you can get her out safely... with out cutting into the house if possible.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! It has been way too long that she hasn't been eating
I am very worried about her.

Please do whatever you can to get her out ASAP.

opus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Oh my! It has been way too long that she hasn't been eating
I am very worried about her.

Please do whatever you can to get her out ASAP.
Actually she's been eating and drinking water everyday. This is the 1st day we haven't fed her because we're trying to lure her out with the tuna.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned as to why she refuses to come out. She may be hurt in some way and that's why she's hiding out. I would take her to the vet when you get her out to be sure everything is okay. Good luck!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any update?
This reminds me of when Wally crawled under the floorboards. We got him out within a day, but he was VERY resistant.
Sounds like a more precarious situation being in the eaves. I hope she comes out soon

highnote

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't cut the joist- it can damage the structural stability of your house. That would put her and anyone else in the house at risk in the future if part/all of the house collapses. The joists are very important and not something to mess with. I'd cut a hole in the ceiling long before I would touch that joist. Ceiling holes can be repaired with a little drywall, mud, and paint- trust me I KNOW from experience.

That being said, watch the temperature up there. It can get REALLY hot and very cold, both which could be dangerous for her.

Doesn't sound like you've tried the fire department yet. Try that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From another thread (http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=156144&page=4)

Originally Posted by hissy

Ok everyone, breathe deeply and calm down. First of all, the cat has found a cave. It is a bit inconvienient because this cave is only accessible to the cat- but he feels safe there. It isn't really any different than a cat hiding under the bed. He is eating and that is a plus.

To the new owner, you need to get this cat out. In order to do this, you need to think like he does. He will come out for live prey, he will come out if he thinks another cat is in his territory. You will have to arrange some way that when he does come you, you can immediately shut the entrance to his cave. Rig something on a rope that will fall over the entrance
the minute his whole body is out of the cave.

I had a cat who lived in our rafters for over a year. He finally came down when I borrowed a friend's pet ferret and put the ferret cage with the ferret in the garage. I put the cage behind a humane trap and placed boards so the only way this cat could approach the "prey" was through the trap.

You also have to provide this cat another cave or safe place to hide in the room so when you shut his entrance, he has another option.

You can bring him down several ways-
  • borrow or buy a mouse and put the cage in the room-
  • same for a bird cage but be sure the bird is up and out of reach
  • go to www.miceonice.com and try to see if that works for you- although live prey would give you better results
  • Try a toy like Da Bird to see if that draws him out, or a laser toy but don't get the laser in the cat's eyes
  • If you know someone with a tomcat, ask them for some of their soiled litter- sprinkle that in your room. It will stink, but he will come out to cover the scent.
  • Put another cat in a carrier in the room to lure him out.

You can also use a mirror to lure him out. Place it so the minute he comes to the entrance of his cave he sees his reflection. He should go on the defensive and come out to beat away the intruder
Good luck
I don't know if the territory stuff works for females as well - but I bet a mouse or something like that might. Certainly worth a try. You'll wind up with a mouse as a pet if you don't know somebody with one - but a small price to pay and easier than cutting her out if it works.

Laurie

opus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been meaning to update everyone but I've been laid up with the flu. On Saturday morning (a week since she got herself stuck in the attic), Smokey managed to get herself out of the attic eave.
While I was laid up in bed, she walked into the living room in front of my wife, son and daughter. She appears to be uninjured but we are bringing her to the vet tomorrow just be sure.

She was a little skittish the first few days (she's normally a very affectionate kitty) but is slowly becoming her old self.

Thanks for all your support and advice.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic!
I bet she sauntered into the living room like she hadn't been up there all week too. Do you wonder if your being ill had anything to do with her coming out? Was she more attached to you than the rest of your family? Ahhh... who cares... shes out!