TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › blind cocker spaniel pup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

blind cocker spaniel pup

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My rescue group is looking to place a blind chocolate cocker pup, six weeks old. Anyone interested in helping?

Here is the background --- the email I got from our coordinator.

We got a call today about a 6 week old purebred chocolate cocker spaniel puppy that is blind that needs a foster home ASAP!! The family found homes for the other puppies in the litter but not the blind one and they don't want to put her to sleep. The mom is a one year old purebred that is also blind - too bad they did not have her spayed. If anyone know someone that can help us out please let me know.

Her name is Gracie May.
post #2 of 13
I WISH I could help Poor thing! He'll find a good home soon though! That would be a very hard dog to pass up!
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
I WISH I could help Poor thing! He'll find a good home soon though! That would be a very hard dog to pass up!
Thanks! It's a little female. And it will take a special home to look after her.
post #4 of 13
I hope & pray, knowing it probably won't happen, then mom will be spayed!!

Poor girl......she'd fit right in here....I wish but I don't like cockers, nor do I have the time or willingness to train a puppy.
post #5 of 13
Awww, poor little baby. I wish I could help. I hope you find a place for her soon.
post #6 of 13
Six weeks is a very young age to be separated from mom and littermates. In some places its against the law to separate mom and pups before 8 weeks, and many people reccomend 8-10 weeks. In this time valuable lessons such as socialization and bite inhibition are learned. You might be looking at possible behavioral problems in the future, especially with the pup being blind. I would recommend that you place this pup with a cocker knowledgeable person only, and with no children. I also reccomend that you get this pup with other puppies if possible so that she can at least learn some bite inhibition from them and things.

Good luck with the pup.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Six weeks is a very young age to be separated from mom and littermates. In some places its against the law to separate mom and pups before 8 weeks, and many people reccomend 8-10 weeks. In this time valuable lessons such as socialization and bite inhibition are learned. You might be looking at possible behavioral problems in the future, especially with the pup being blind. I would recommend that you place this pup with a cocker knowledgeable person only, and with no children. I also reccomend that you get this pup with other puppies if possible so that she can at least learn some bite inhibition from them and things.

Good luck with the pup.
I don't disagree with you. We would like the pup to stay with mom and sibs, but I don't think the choice is ours. The little family is not in our control. And people don't always listen to good advice.
post #8 of 13
I sure wish I was closer...I would take that little girl in in a heart beat...I had handicapped pup before, so I know the responsibilities and time. I hope she finds the right kind of owner soon!
post #9 of 13
for the puppy. I'm sure that she can still have a good life. And more for the other pups that had to leave their mom at only 6 weeks
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure how Gracie came into our care. It was either take her or her owners were going to put her to sleep at age 6 weeks.

This is our web site with more info. It is a solicitation site. I am not pitching for money here -- this has her pic and more background info.

Adrien

http://www.firstgiving.com/metroaaaa
post #11 of 13
For Gracie

Hope everything works out for her
post #12 of 13
The mother was blind and they bred her anyway? Did common sense just fly out the window? The fact they are giving out the puppies so early is just sad.

I hope she finds a good home with other pups at least.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHaus View Post
The mother was blind and they bred her anyway? Did common sense just fly out the window? The fact they are giving out the puppies so early is just sad.

I hope she finds a good home with other pups at least.
Pretty much... our director said that the owners "didn't know the blindness was genetic." Duh. Didn't they ask someone who knows, like a vet?

So stupid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › blind cocker spaniel pup