Ouch! Problem with Da Bird

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I bought the girls a Da Bird toy today for their birthday tomorrow. When I took it out and went to put the two ends of the wand part together, it wouldn't fit in and whatever is on the outside kept fraying into small strands. At first I thought it was some kind of plastic, but now I'm not sure.

The girls had caught sight of the feathers by then, so I just played with them with half the wand. That was when I noticed that thoes fraying ends were coming off. And now I keep finding them in my hand like tiny slivers! And they hurt!

I've tried tape to pull some out when I find them. I don't have any elmers glue at home and now I'm at my parents. I hope they have some, but my Mom isn't here for me to ask at the moment. The slivers are hard to see because they are clear.

Mostly I'm wondering if anyone else had that problem with it? We ended up using electrical tape to attach the two ends of the wand together and hold down those fraying parts.

On a good note, the girls both had an absolute BLAST with it! Noodles was so excited!

(Mods, if I put this in the wrong forumn, please move...)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, my wand won't fit together right either! They didn't make the hole big enough

It works now that I enlarged the hole a bit, but it's still not perfect.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have the one which is one long wand, but I got 2 of the ones with the wand that you put together for a couple of people, and the same thing happened. I think with those ones, you need to put glue in, jam it in, then wrap it in tape... Those ones are poorly designed unfortunately

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm....well I'm glad to know mine isn't the only one that won't fit right. The splintering bothers me the most though. I still have the one in my hand from when I posted earlier. I think I keep picking them up off my clothing or something now, though I've changed shirts since this afternoon.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first one was just the single long wand, but I bought a second one that is the two piece wand. I hate it! It did fit together fine, but it keeps popping out.

Bad construction IMO, they should have just stuck with the one piece constructions.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! I am so sorry you are having problems. I did not even know there was one that you had to put together. I got the wand that you do not have to put together. It is not wood so I have had no problems with it. Maybe see if you can get a number and call them or e-mail them to let them know about the problem.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a 2 piece wand for a friend who lives cross country and mailed it to her. When I bought it, the store owner told me they made the 2 piece wands because they are easier to ship. The only problem that my friend had with it was that it pulls apart when the cats pull on it.

If you are losing slivers, take it back and ask for a new one. They sound defective to me!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the electrical tape solution, but mine doesn't have to come apart again...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a replacement wand, you might want to go to the sports department at a local discount store and find a child's fishing pole. They are usually around 36 inches long, and you can usually get them for less than $10.

I would explain "cat fishing" to you, but it might be a little complicated....

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be the only one not having problems with the 2 piece design.
The fit is tight and no splinters or other issues.

My guys did yank the swivel completely out of the red plastic sleeve though.
The glue gave way, but the wands did not come apart.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you use the actual reel and fishing line? Maybe even a lure with the hook removed?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you still have the package, write a letter to the manufacturer and send them a pic showing what you mean - they should send you a free replacement.

I actually did a little research before buying the two I have, and I bought the single piece wands, knowing I'd be playing tug of war with my boys.

But yeah - it sounds like a manufacturing defect, and the maker of it should replace it for you.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I haven't had problems with my two piece design either.

We have issues with the red sleeve but a drop of super glue fixes it right up!

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have bought two and my cats broke it within 10 minutes of playing. the first one max pulled so hard on to get the feathers that he snapped the string right off where it attaches at the top. the second one max, again was pulling so hard that he broke the string at the bottom. i refuse to buy a new one, i've never had anything break so fast in my life! my cats LOVED it. at least now max can carry the feathers around the house like he wanted to do in the first place!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have the actual packaging anymore, but I do have my reciept. DH was taking out the trash when I opened it, so it went straight to the can. I will try to look up a way to write them about it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

No issues here either, it fits just fine. But I find it too long so took it apart and just use 1 piece.

Mine have also pulled the feathers (and other attachments) out of the red plastic

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I don't have the actual packaging anymore, but I do have my reciept. DH was taking out the trash when I opened it, so it went straight to the can. I will try to look up a way to write them about it.
Here is their website: http://www.go-cat.com/