Kitten with a VERY healthy appetite

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a question about my kitten's eating habit. She's 18 month old and I feed 20% dry and 80% wet. She's at 6lbs now and a DSH. I know that kitten should be allow to eat as much as they want and my kitty is no exception. I only free fed her a quarter cup of dry a day. I have four scheduled meal times, 9am, 2pm, 7pm and 11pm. Each meal consists of 3oz of canned food. She finish her food at every meal time and takes maybe half an hour to 45 minutes to eat them all and takes breaks in between.

If you think about it, she eats about 12oz of wet food and 2oz of dry food a day. In addition she also eats a spoonful of Milky Flakes treat and one Defurr-UM treat a day. Plus when I am in a training session with her, she gets other treats as well.

She has a very active indoor lifestyle. She runs, jumps, chases after toys, and climbs her cat tree. Overall, she is in excellent health and has a bubbly personality.

Is the amount of food I've been feeding her adequate, too much or too little?

bluegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
12oz of wet food a day seems like a lot. Are you feeding her a high quality food?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What BRAND of food, wet and dry, are you feeding her? That does seem like an awful lot of wet food. If you are still feeding kitten food stop because she is not even close to being a kitten anymore at 18 months.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with the op, if your feeding kitten food you might want to slowly change her over to adult food now, also the brand of food can have a lot to do with how much they intake. has she been wormed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the blunder. My kitten is 18 weeks old, not months ..

She eats a variety of brands;-

Dry Food : (I tend to mix them all into a large 8qt airtight container)
Artemis
Ultramix Kitten
Wellness Kitten Health
Pet Promise
Eagle Pack Holistic
Taste Of the Wild
Nature's Logic

Wet Food : I rotate each brand on a daily basis, different flavor and between chunky/gravy or pate

Wellness
Natural Balance
Merricks
Felidae
Eagle Pack Holistic
Pet Promise
Weruva (supplemetal feeding only since this is an adult food)
California Natural
Nature's Variety Instict
Prairie
Nutro Complete Kitten Care/Gourmet Classics
Halo Spot Stew
Avoderm
Wysong
Pet Guard
Evangers

Her weight is ideal for her age and she has been dewormed since her last vet checkup. She's due back in April for her spay surgery.

Maybe it's just a kitten phase or maybe her food is too palatable? I know I will have to cut down on her servings once she reaches a year but it's still quite a bit more to go. She never begs for food though but will happily eat during meal times.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just one thing, its not good for there systems to keep changing brands of food, it can lead to upset tummys.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

just one thing, its not good for there systems to keep changing brands of food, it can lead to upset tummys.
This is more of a concern with dry food than with canned food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
XxtashaxX : Thanks for your concern. I feed my kitten a variety since after weaning\\ so her tummy is well adjusted to different brands/flavors. I've also consulted my vet and many cat lovers re: my decision to introduce her to different food. If she has no tummy troubles and do well with different food each feeding, then there is no harm.

RobertM : Thanks for the reassurance. My kitten only eats very little dry so eventhough I do mix them, there is no problem at all.

bluegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

Sorry for the blunder. My kitten is 18 weeks old, not months ..
Oh well, since she is just a kitten, I wouldn't worry about it so much, maybe just a growth spurt or something.