New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grooming session & Metro

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Well, I just bathed, conditioned, blow dryed and combed out Maxx again. Such a good little guy. Now he just lays there on the table while I'm blow drying and combing him out. I'm not saying he likes it.... but he just lays there like a good little gentleman! I still turn the Metro on before hand, just so it doesn't startle him. I have to say though. His coat is so shiney and soft. He still has a slight brown discoloration on his chest from drinking water and a little one on one paw where he uses it to clean his face. I've got to get serious about getting that out all the way. Maybe a little 3% hydrogen peroxide?

I'll try to get some pictures of him in a bit. After he settles down. I think he's off re-grooming himself in a corner. He always does that after I groom him... it's like he doesn't think I did it right.
post #2 of 19
Thread Starter 
Here are some pictures after bathing and grooming Maxx. Not sure if you can really tell how nice his coat turned out from the pics but am going to try anyway! His coat is so shiney, the flash bounces off it! What do you think?











This one looks like he has a white stripe down his back but it's just the flash bouncing off. I think I need to take some shots against a red blanket or something.


In this one, you can see where they shaved the one leg a little bit. The fur is growing in pretty well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can hardly tell by April.

post #3 of 19
Wow - that is a shiny coat - what are you using. I'm assuming he is a show cat? When is his next show?
post #4 of 19
Tammie, He looks wonderful, you need to let me know what Metro dryer you got, I think I need one
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Wow - that is a shiny coat - what are you using. I'm assuming he is a show cat? When is his next show?
Thank you! That is my Maxx that I just got in October. His fur has really grown in well (previous owner shaved him in the summer). He has been show in the past by the original breeder and has been championed. I have never shown but plan on showing him in April. I can't wait! It will be my first show! I'm bathing/conditioning and grooming him once a week to get his coat ready. (I comb him more often but I'm talking serious grooming!) This is what I'm using in order:

Goop handcleaner (it has lots of lanolin in it and also degreases.)
Perfect Coat White Pearl conditioning shampoo (for his whites)
Perfect coat Black pearl conditioning shampoo (for his blacks)
Perfect Coat Conditioning Rinse
Then last but not least (and for household pet owners who don't groom professionally, I don't recommend this step), I condition him again with Superior Preference conditioner (from the kit when I color my hair.) Then finally, rinse with vinegar and water. Then once a month I give him a hot oil treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Tammie, He looks wonderful, you need to let me know what Metro dryer you got, I think I need one
It's the Metro Quick Draw. I love it, it's wonderful! I found a website where I got it for only $89 and free shipping. I'll have to see if I can find the website for you.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Helen, This is the one I got and the vendor I got it from. This dryer really does make a huge difference in the coat of the cat. I love it. Metro Air Force Quick Draw
post #7 of 19
Thanks Tammie, I'm ordering it
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Thanks Tammie, I'm ordering it
You won't be sorry! You'll have to get them used to is slowly though. The Metro is really loud. Let me know if you need help with that!
post #9 of 19
he looks very very handsome... can you come bathe Gigi for me??
post #10 of 19
Makes me SOOOO glad I have shorthairs to show

Here's Charlie's routine

Fill tub with water.
Wet down
Shampoo
Rinse
Vinegar rinse
Rinse till squeeky clean.

Take out of tub, towel dry.
Put in room to air dry about an hour.

Done

BTW how long in timing with the Metro?
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
he looks very very handsome... can you come bathe Gigi for me??
I'd love to! Bring her on down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Makes me SOOOO glad I have shorthairs to show

Here's Charlie's routine

Fill tub with water.
Wet down
Shampoo
Rinse
Vinegar rinse
Rinse till squeeky clean.

Take out of tub, towel dry.
Put in room to air dry about an hour.

Done

BTW how long in timing with the Metro?
Yeah.... you definitely have to have a love for the breed and I'm convinced that bathing/grooming has to develop into sort of an art. A hobby that one is always wanting to do better at. I'm far from being that artist but I'm enjoying the journey!

As far as the timing on the Metro. I haven't really timed myself. But I know it takes a lot less time then using my regular hair dryer. The whole process from start to finish took me about an hour. Next week I'll have to time how long it takes just to dry with the metro.
post #12 of 19
Great looking cat! I usually don't care for persians, but his coat looks so sleek and shiney that I could be convinced otherwise Although that bathing routine is enough to keep me from ever owning a long hair.

What happens if you accidentally get some of the "white" shampoo on the black or vice-versa?

Art
post #13 of 19
You don't really worry too much about the white or black shampoos - its just that the "color" will be intensified without harming the other color.

I used to use a bluing rinse for my black/white HHP in shows - made her white sparkle and the black was shiny too. So it didn't hurt the black part at all.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
You don't really worry too much about the white or black shampoos - its just that the "color" will be intensified without harming the other color.

I used to use a bluing rinse for my black/white HHP in shows - made her white sparkle and the black was shiny too. So it didn't hurt the black part at all.
That's what I've found too. I was worried in the beginning but not so much now. Here's some more pictures. I just can't get them exactly like I want. Maybe in a couple of days.



post #15 of 19
I don't know if this goes for all shampoos, I guess it would depend on the ingredients but a (dog) groomer who recommended a white coat brightening shampoo for my tri-colored terrier advised me to avoid getting the shampoo on his brown spots because they may lighten, but said it was fine to use it on his black patches. This was a natural shampoo with brighteners and not chemical lightening ingredients or anything like that. I don't know if that goes for other white shampoos as well. I found it makes his black patches SHINE as well as the white fur snowy white. I love that stuff! In fact, I'm planning on trying it next time I bathe my "tuxedo" cat. I might try it for my brown tabby-and-white kitten Church's paws as well (carefully...)
post #16 of 19
He looks very nice Good luck for your first show.
post #17 of 19
You're doing a fine job...I've sent you a pm on the staining...just a suggestion of course.

A small suggestion - if your mentor will be at the same show as you, get her or someone else to pluck out a bit over the eyes and cheeks. It will give the appearance of rounder, larger eyes and a rounder head. I myself don't do that, I'm no expert at plucking but I do have friends that are and they do the plucking for me!
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
He looks very nice Good luck for your first show.
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
You're doing a fine job...I've sent you a pm on the staining...just a suggestion of course.

A small suggestion - if your mentor will be at the same show as you, get her or someone else to pluck out a bit over the eyes and cheeks. It will give the appearance of rounder, larger eyes and a rounder head. I myself don't do that, I'm no expert at plucking but I do have friends that are and they do the plucking for me!
Thanks for the tip on the staining! I can't seem to get the plucking thing down yet either but hopefully I can find someone who does. My mentor won't be going with me. She has cancer and has been going through chemo. I'm actually very worried about her. Such a nice woman.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
I don't know if this goes for all shampoos, I guess it would depend on the ingredients but a (dog) groomer who recommended a white coat brightening shampoo for my tri-colored terrier advised me to avoid getting the shampoo on his brown spots because they may lighten, but said it was fine to use it on his black patches. This was a natural shampoo with brighteners and not chemical lightening ingredients or anything like that. I don't know if that goes for other white shampoos as well. I found it makes his black patches SHINE as well as the white fur snowy white. I love that stuff! In fact, I'm planning on trying it next time I bathe my "tuxedo" cat. I might try it for my brown tabby-and-white kitten Church's paws as well (carefully...)
I've advised this before but can't recall if I posted or pm'ed! When color enhancing, do the the lighter colors first - a calico for example, do the white, then the red and lastly the black.

In Church's case, I would do the whites first (paw, belly, chin) and then the brown....however, if you are using shampoos such as Jerob, the Mahogany gold for example, would not harm or discolor the white at all!

Another tip would be to "paint" on (seriously, using a paint brush) the color enhancing shampoos onto, of course, the correct color section.

I do know of some "extreme" show peeps that actually bathe a cat over two days, the first day doing one color and the 2nd day the next. It obviously works or else these cats wouldn't RW or DW would they?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding