Question about Vaccine/Checkup Schedule

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a bit confused about when to take Riley in for his yearly checkup and shots.

His last FDRC vaccine was 4-9-07, but his rabies was 5-4-07.

So does he go in April, and just get the rabies a month early? Or would he go in May and get the distemper/combo a month late? All the previous vaccines were given by different vets at different times while he was still in the rescue, so we don't have a set schedule yet with his new vet.

So when should I take him in for his shots?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate rabies every 3 years if at all, and regular combo vaccines once and then if anything else I go every 3 years until the cat is around 7 or so. I would personally never go every single year to vaccinate any living thing, that doesn't even make sense to me. I sure don't get a vaccine every year... as babies yes, kittens need their combo shots, but after that I stop. Every 3 years have the vet do a titre and see if you even need to revaccinate at all. The cat might still have some of the vaccine left in its system and revaccinating is just unnecessary and dangerous. Especially to a cat over a certain age.

So I guess to answer your questions, I would much prefer to go late then early!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

He is just over 1 year, so I plan to get the 3 year rabies vaccine. As for the 3-in-1 or 4-in-1, not sure which he will get, I don't know if he will get that every year. If I continue to foster cats then it may be best to get it every year.

I will probably wait until May to take him then. I just want to get him on a set schedule, and not have to go twice, just for shots.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would separate them to reduce reaction risk

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, after further research I see that he just needs his 1 year booster for distemper, so after this he will go to a 3 year schedule as well as a 3 year rabies.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Ok, after further research I see that he just needs his 1 year booster for distemper, so after this he will go to a 3 year schedule as well as a 3 year rabies.
I prefer the Purevax Rabies shot. It is annual but safer for the cat (non-adjuvanted).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I prefer the Purevax Rabies shot. It is annual but safer for the cat (non-adjuvanted).
I will see if they have it. Thanks!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I am a bit confused about when to take Riley in for his yearly checkup and shots.

His last FDRC vaccine was 4-9-07, but his rabies was 5-4-07.

So does he go in April, and just get the rabies a month early? Or would he go in May and get the distemper/combo a month late? All the previous vaccines were given by different vets at different times while he was still in the rescue, so we don't have a set schedule yet with his new vet.

So when should I take him in for his shots?
I wonder if you have cats that absolutely can never get outside ever need shots? It has probably been 1 1/2 years since Persi has had shots. He had a series of three that including everything. I had just thought indoor only cats need not be worried about.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I wonder if you have cats that absolutely can never get outside ever need shots? It has probably been 1 1/2 years since Persi has had shots. He had a series of three that including everything. I had just thought indoor only cats need not be worried about.
You CAN still bring diseases in to your cats, so can visitors. But I personally believe it is highly unlikely and I only ever vaccinate a cat once or twice ever and then I stop. I don't even do titres honestly. But if you are worried I would get the titre done before you revaccinate. Especially with indoor only cats, vaccinating every single year over and over again just seems crazy to me.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't plan to vaccinate every year, but plan to put him on a 3 year schedule. He is just over a year old now and is due for his 1 year booster after having his kitten shots.

If I wasn't fostering rescue cats, then I would consider not doing them at all except for rabies, which is required by law.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He certainly should have his booster and I make sure all of mine are completely up to date on shots before taking in a foster, although I know our shelter cats have vaccs etc, they don't have the time it takes for certain diseases to show and I would hate to make my cats sick.