MK + Frau/Burger/Frazzle/ = BFF?

kcwm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears that our 10 year old Siamese has accepted our new kitten. They try to play, but I've been pretty protective of the kitten since she was spayed this past Tuesday.

I did take her out of the bathroom (which now smells like cat) and put her on the bed with MK. They sniffed each other (which is relatively common now), and when she turned her head, MK went to groom her. He got a couple of licks in before she scurried off into the bathroom.

When she was at the clinic getting spayed, he walked around the house making the most mournful meow and checking her hiding spots out here in the living.

I think the feliway plus her getting spayed has really helped calm things down. After reading some of the horror stories, I expecting to have a hard time, but it looks like things have pretty much fallen into place in less than two weeks.

He does like to sit in front of his food bowl when she's out sometimes. The only time he hisses at her is when she comes to investigate his latest treat or food, which is, in my mind, totally acceptable behavior. I do not envision them eating together or using the same litterbox.

Poor Frau/Burger/Frazzle. We just can't decide on a name. The German students at the school she is student teaching at call their normal German teacher "Frau". As a nickname, and play on the word Frau, they call her Frizzle. So, when Teresa started teaching, they call her Frazzle. She answers best to Frau and Burger. Sometimes, she will just look up at us, eyes all big and wide, start walking towards one of us, and then stop and groom herself. Then she looks at us like "why are you staring at me?!?!"

Kittens are good stuff.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be surprised. We figured the two kittens, having been raised together before we got them, would use one litter box and Zoey would use hers. We quickly found out that they like to share Zoey's litterbox and avoid the one intended for the kittens. Now that they are a couple of months olders and Harper only comes back for weekend visits (one of the kittens is at school with my daughter), they stil use only one box.
I'm not complaining, makes clean up easier.

Because Talley is on kitten food and Zoey is on adult, I feed them separately. As is usual in my household, the babies want the adult food and the adults want the baby's food. Why is that?

cabelle1863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As is usual in my household, the babies want the adult food and the adults want the baby's food. Why is that?
Because they're cats and they like to be as contrary as possible?
It has always seemed as though my cats like to be the complete opposite of what is expected. Just part of their charm I figure.

Kittens are definitely good stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcwm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today, Frau went for MK's treat. I picked her up and brought her into the living room so he could eat in peace. He came out when she started to growl (she does NOT like being handled in any way). I sat down on the ground and she swiped at me. MK walked over and meowed at her rather calmly. When she swiped at me again, he went to bite her on the head.

So, they might not be BFFs just yet. I got the impression that MK was, I don't know, defending me from her? He doesn't care if he eats his food, so I highly doubt it was that.

It was just odd.

I have to break her of her habit of biting and swiping. But, the rattle of coins doesn't phase her, blowing a puff of air in her face just pisses her off, saying no and clapping does nothing...I'm at a loss. I guess I need to dig around this site and find out what else I can do.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kcwm

I have to break her of her habit of biting and swiping. But, the rattle of coins doesn't phase her, blowing a puff of air in her face just pisses her off, saying no and clapping does nothing...I'm at a loss. I guess I need to dig around this site and find out what else I can do.
Sometimes a spray bottle will work, of course be careful not to spray directly towards the face, but towards the back of the body. It works great with my cats I have broke them from sharpening their claws on anything that is not proper, as well as pawing at my fishies and attacking my dogs. From time to time they still do these things but if they see the spray bottle they stop immediately.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kcwm

Today, Frau went for MK's treat. I picked her up and brought her into the living room so he could eat in peace. He came out when she started to growl (she does NOT like being handled in any way). I sat down on the ground and she swiped at me. MK walked over and meowed at her rather calmly. When she swiped at me again, he went to bite her on the head.biting and swiping.
Zoey does that to Talley as a way to keep her behaving appropriately. Your friends would tell you when you mess up right? Same thing. And Talley doen't hold a grudge, they stil play together and cuddle.