Strange Kitty Quirks

cabelle1863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before we had Meow, I was under the assumption that most if not all animals prefer not to be touched while they eat. Well, Meow is very much an individual and sometimes refuses to eat unless we stand there and pet him. It's one of the strangest things I've ever seen. He'll stand in the hall and complain for us to follow him, as though he has no food (we free feed the dry food so it's always available).

So we follow and reassure him that yes, the food is right there in front of him. Sometimes that works and he'll start eating. Other times he won't start eating unless we begin to pet him. And if we leave the room too soon he'll follow us back out and start complaining all over again.

The other thing he does is that the dry food has to be properly mounded to his liking. Otherwise he'll act like it's empty. He's done this ever since we adopted him as a kitten many years ago (he's almost 14 now).

He's very strange but we love him.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute! Sounds like he doesn't like to eat alone

Sebastian loves it when I stroke his back and say "I love you" when he eats. Yep, I actually do it just not every time

Awww gotta love the strange kitties

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the most strangest kitty quirk I've ever witnessed is when Spencer eats. He won't just eat out of the bowl like "normal" cats do (as if there is such a thing!
), but he has to pick his food out of the bowl with his paw and then eat it off the floor.
I think his strange way of eating goes back to his "homeless" days, when he was a stray and had to eat off the ground.
I guess he never developed "table manners".

~KK~

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen both of these quirks before. Punkin insists when we get up in the middle of the night that we have to go out and stir up his dry food.

He also insists on pawing at any water before he drinks it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper likes to eat off the floor, but I think it is because Scooter does not, and he will swipe the food out of her bowl if given the chance. She will drag a pile of wet food on to the floor and eat it, while Scooter looks in the bowl for anything left. Fluffy has started washing her paws in their water, and Scooter hates it. He will push her away from the water, and then meow loudly until I change the water, or go drink from the toilet. One of them drops one piece of dry food into Pearl's water, and she really hates that. She will sit by the bowl and look disgusted until I change the water. I really want to get 2 fountains, but the budget will not allow it right now. Pepper will eat only from one feeder. They sit side by side, so I switched them just to see if it was the particular feeder or she just preferred one side, but she went to her favorite one. I could go on and on about the feline quirks with my 4. I think they all need therapy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cabelle1863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh the funny things our kitties do that entertain us.
Thanks for sharing your kitty quirks too, they're quite funny!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Probably the most strangest kitty quirk I've ever witnessed is when Spencer eats. He won't just eat out of the bowl like "normal" cats do (as if there is such a thing!
), but he has to pick his food out of the bowl with his paw and then eat it off the floor.
I think his strange way of eating goes back to his "homeless" days, when he was a stray and had to eat off the ground.

~KK~
My dog does that too!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What funny quirks!! What on earth would these cats do without us lowly humans here to cater to them???

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Love reading these kitty quirks! I think there are kitties who wants companionship while eating and there are some who prefers to eat in privacy. Mine doesn't even care who or what is around her, as long as they is food, she'll chomp down happily.

She has a special kitty blanket that's been with her since she is only days old. Lately, she's been sucking and kneading the blanket, as if in a trance. She seems to really enjoy her ritual so I just let her be. She even try to carry the blanket with her but since it's too heavy, she only manage a few steps. Looks absolutely funny when she does that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

~KK~
Cindy does that too. Before I got the smaller dishes, I could always tell which one was eating because I would hear scraaape, crunch, scraape, crunch. She also drinks by dipping her paw in the water and then licking it off her paw.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny and I have a food ritual. I take up both bowls, fill them while Baby mews as though she's not eaten for a week, put down Baby's bowl, and then put down Tiny's. At that point I stand by his bowl and call him, and he cautiously approaches, rubs against my ankles, and hunkers down to eat. He will not eat unless he has first rubbed against my ankles--it's the funniest thing!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cabelle1863

So we follow and reassure him that yes, the food is right there in front of him. Sometimes that works and he'll start eating. Other times he won't start eating unless we begin to pet him. And if we leave the room too soon he'll follow us back out and start complaining all over again.
My cat Fiona does that. She is just nosy and likes to be where her people are. She was so teensy when we got her that I stayed with her while she ate and praised her. She was also my first cat since I was a kid so I had first time parent anxiety.

Now she is settled so I no longer do that....she'll eat if she is hungry enough is what I think
But it was a great bonding time for us when we first had her.