TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › what about the normal people
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what about the normal people - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I could go on, but I'll stop here. Basically, call me a redneck, but I am willing to earn my own way, and I'm tired of deadbeats driving up my taxes because they think the world owes them something. THAT is what the article was trying to get across.
i would have to agree with your whole post.

Talking about goverment jobs, I applied and took the test for air traffic controllers. Back in the 80's. With the bouns for being a pilot, i had 99%. A female friend took the same test with me. She scored 72% and got hired. I was told, that as a white male you would have needed about 120% on the test to get hired. Which if remeber right, you would have needed every single bouns and scored 100%.

that is not even or fair. Its going to the other side.
"Our boys are being abused by the media in a different way. ? All you have to do is turn on the TV for 30 minutes and tell me how men and dads are portrayed as ignorant and stupid and lazy. The white, Anglo-Saxon male, the young teenage guy, is probably the most discriminated against kid on the face of the earth right now."

and another link http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-123614652.html there are tons more.
post #32 of 48
Unfortunately even in the 21st century there are ridiculous amounts of prejudice going on in all sectors - against ALL people. I am still discriminated against in a number of ways because I'm a woman - it happens all the time. It's just more subtle these days.

The media and advertising are the worst culprits. I agree with you Bruce when you say that men and Dads are often portrayed as ignorant, stupid and lazy. The same happens across the board with a number of things. Women's clothing, haircuts and so forth are more expensive than mens - purely because the demand is higher. Minority groups are still discriminated against despite legislation that tries to prevent it. Men are cast in a bread-winner role almost automatically. Working mothers are made to feel irresponsible. Women in magazines are nearly always an unrealistic, airbrushed and unattainable goal.

While society continues to place these restrictions on us and we continue to subscribe to them - no matter how unconsciously - these kinds of discriminations will continue. Where my Mum used to teach there were a large number of refugees. This made things harder because you really had to try to get it right with everyone. And there's nothing wrong with that. But she was often faced with comments like `you're just telling me off because I'm black', to which there are few comebacks. She would usually just say `oh, are you? I thought it was because you were being rude and disruptive. How silly of me not to have noticed the colour of your skin', which would usually shut them up. People expect discrimination and because it happens so much, can sometimes use it to their advantage. HOWEVER this does not negate the fact that it happens every day.

The problem lies with what we will accept from our media, advertising, government and infrastructure - and in ourselves changing our own attitudes. Unfortunately this can and has led to discrimination within anti-discrimination - it's pretty much a lose-lose situation, with many institutions just going too far to be as `PC' as possible.

I sometimes wish that simple fairness and being PC weren't lumped into the same category - because they're actually vastly different things.
post #33 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
I sometimes wish that simple fairness and being PC weren't lumped into the same category - because they're actually vastly different things.
Err could you please change your point of view.
it makes me think somethign is wrong with mine when you agree with me


ok just kidding
post #34 of 48
LOL! Sorry....
post #35 of 48
Notice how people of nearly all groups are angry and feel mistreated by the society as a whole? We're all in the same boat, folks. The same boat.

As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"
post #36 of 48
Before he was beaten to death by a group of white police officers, who were subsequently acquitted of any wrongdoing. A good case in point, I would think.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Before he was beaten to death by a group of white police officers, who were subsequently acquitted of any wrongdoing. A good case in point, I would think.
Rodney King wasn't beaten to death. He's alive but not well, the man has had a rough life since then, mostly of his own doing.
post #38 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Rodney King wasn't beaten to death. He's alive but not well, the man has had a rough life since then, mostly of his own doing.
its called a lesson, when the cops tell you to lay down and stay there, Stop trying to get up.

And yea, he was shot in the back by a drug dealer. From a deal that went bad. (he was riding a bike)

he has spent his life , both before and after, in trouble with the law.
post #39 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie=^..^= View Post
As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"
hmm No.
at least not yet anyway.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
And yea, he was shot in the back by a drug dealer. From a deal that went bad
I've always wondered about that term. Does that suggest that most drug deals are good?

As for the article; I prefer to take such things as face value, not to dig around between what he has written looking for some kind of "honorable intention", or to make guess at "what he meant to say".
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Before he was beaten to death by a group of white police officers, who were subsequently acquitted of any wrongdoing. A good case in point, I would think.
I guess what I got from it was that the man who might have been resentful and who might have thought it was okay to riot was the one who pleaded for peace. The fact that he was not an educated or sophisticated guy only increased the power of his his plea.

So I pray that the angry white man and woman and everyone else can try a little harder to build community. Maybe I feel this way because I am white, my ex-husband is black and my beautiful and intelligent daughter is mixed, but generally perceived as black. I need everyone to lay down their anger and just get along

.http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...4918984.column

Here's another viewpoint from another white man who sees things differently. I went to the blog Stuff White People Like and thought it was really funny.
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
So, then, what is the point?

Because, I'm 22 years old and 8 months out of my undergrad and I already own and run my own business and make more money and act more inventively than the average person. So, I'm not laying on my couch waiting for the legislative branch to feed me bon bons. That's not what this is about.

The government DOES have a responsibility to me, a law-abiding citizen, the same way I have a responsibility to it. The government's job is to make laws to keep us relatively safe (mostly from ourselves these days), provide me and my family with education, parks, roads, trash removal, etc, and if I fall on hard times or have a severe medical emergency, assist in getting me back on my feet. Hard work and good intentions can't prevent tragic circumstances, Bruce, especially when they've been born of historic racism, lack of leadership and years of neglect and needless persecution.

I don't know if you've ever been to a low-income minority neighborhood, or if you see the working poor very often, but they're there. And they're doing their best in spite of bad circumstances, the magnitude of which you and I can't even begin to comprehend, Bruce, but that sometimes isn't enough. Maybe it's just because I live in the city and get to see everyone from the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich, but this makes perfect sense to me.

Additionally, the government has the responsibility to be color-blind and sexuality-blind and age-blind and caste-less, and to make sure that every law-abiding, tax-paying citizen in this country has access to the same government-provided services and places. We're still working on this, but we HAVE come a long way.

My responsibility as a citizen is to pay my taxes, abide by the laws, be an informed member of the electorate, and then VOTE. The person who wrote this is hardly cultured and hardly informed. He (I'm assuming it was a man) is more than entitled to his opinions, but this would hardly constitute being well-read on the issues. THIS is a knee-jerk reaction based on his own narrow-minded, barbaric view of society. He really needs to get out more, and maybe read a newspaper every once in a while.

I like the idea that both sides have responsibiliities. But with all the responsibilities of the gov that you listed, I think there are more that need to be listed on the side of the citizen. The citizen also has the responsibility to NOT use welfare or assistance when they DON'T need it. They also have the responsibility to pay their bills (especially their medical bills.) We all pay for someone who goes to the ER for the sniffles and then walks on the bill. No one is saying you have to pay it all up front. But you pay it off. Slowly if you have to, but you don't walk away. The gov has the responsibility to provide your children education, but it is your responsibility to insure your child goes to school on time, is fed, clothed properly and behaves. If your child is a behavior problem it should not be the school who has to deal with it. They should be able to send the child home to you to deal with. The teacher has a whole class full that will learn, given the chance. You should be responsible enough to realize that and not let your child disrupt the rest of the class. The gov has the responsiblity to be color-blind, but then that would mean an end to affirmative action. The gov should provide us with parks but it is our responsibility to do what we can to keep them up and safe.

And I have seen enough of soceity today to know that while there are a lot of people who do take their responsibilities seriously there are many, many more who do not. They want all the gov has to give, but do nothing, and give nothing in return. They drop trash all over the streets. They don't care about how their children do in school, and threaten lawsuits if the school tries to remove the child for being disruptive and violent. They use whatever social services they can be approved for, no matter if they can work or not. They use medical facilities and don't pay anything if they can possibly walk away. But I bet if you followed them home they would have decent cars, cable TV and nice stereos.

I think these people are what the angry white man in the article is angry about.

Oh and disclaimer: Any 'you' in the above post was not directed at anyone here and certainly not the person I was responding to. Just a general 'you'.
post #43 of 48
Great post Telynn.

Seems to me like Democratic politicians WANT to keep poor people downtrodden. Look at New Orleans. 60 years of Democratic rule. What did it do to help the poor in New Orleans?
Good article to explain my POV.

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/democ.../25/75308.html
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Rodney King wasn't beaten to death. He's alive but not well, the man has had a rough life since then, mostly of his own doing.
Woah - my bad. I thought they killed him? Woopsie!
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Woah - my bad. I thought they killed him? Woopsie!
LOL...I remember that one pretty well. I was lying on the couch in the basement with a concussion from trying to catch a baseball with my forehead watching the media coverage of the riots.
post #46 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
I think these people are what the angry white man in the article is angry about.

Oh and disclaimer: Any 'you' in the above post was not directed at anyone here and certainly not the person I was responding to. Just a general 'you'.

Yep, it is.
post #47 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
LOL...I remember that one pretty well. I was lying on the couch in the basement with a concussion from trying to catch a baseball with my forehead watching the media coverage of the riots.


i once did that with my nose however the nose failed to hang on to the ball
post #48 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Great post Telynn.

Seems to me like Democratic politicians WANT to keep poor people downtrodden. Look at New Orleans. 60 years of Democratic rule. What did it do to help the poor in New Orleans?
Good article to explain my POV.

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/democ.../25/75308.html
i would have to agree with article.

"
“The Democratic Party has built its power base on the backs of poor blacks, and they want to keep blacks poor, angry, and voting for Democrats"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › what about the normal people