A Very Wet Chinese New Year's Parade

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are watching the SF Chinese New Year's parade. Here, it is cold, windy and raining, raining rats and dogs (it's the year of the rat). Our parade, I think, is the biggest Chinese New Year's Parade outside of China. Gung hay fat choy! Everybody is Chinese on Chinese New Year!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
those are realliy a trip to see!
never saw the in your area. I have seen them in hong kong.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a large chinese population there?

I'm curious...we are discussing ethnicities in one of my classes.....do many people that are NOT chinese watch the parade or go to it?

Rain kinda dampens the celebration, huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
San Francisco has the largest Chinese population outside of China. The Chinese helped build the western part of the Transcontinental railway. Amy Tam's books are very good at describing Chinese immigrants to SF. Lots of Chinese Americans have been here for a number of generations, like my best friend Mae and her husband Morrie.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

San Francisco has the largest Chinese population outside of China. The Chinese helped build the western part of the Transcontinental railway. Amy Tam's books are very good at describing Chinese immigrants to SF. Lots of Chinese Americans have been here for a number of generations, like my best friend Mae and her husband Morrie.
Ahhh....I recall reading about that in history now! Cool....might have to look into those books.