Are they Fighting?

raskolnikov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having trouble interpreting the behavior of two of my cats. I wonder, can anyone here help?

Orange Cat (an adult male) and Fig Newton (a female "kitten"-- actually 1.5yrs old, but hasn't lost any kitten energy) will often be in the same room, near each other, and won't cause problems. They even share a window sill to watch the birdies outside. However, sometimes there are situations that make me wonder whether they like each other or not. My tiny Fig will often run up to the sleeping Orange Cat and smack him once or twice and run off. She will also run after him and smell him as he eats his food, but this doesn't seem to bother him. I've also caught her rolling around in what I presume to be Orange Cat's scent. I don't consider Fig Newton to be an aggressive sort, as she shows no sign of aggression to humans (except vets who try to do "mean" things) and even though Orange Cat is temperamental, he is generally playful and laid back. Sometimes he even falls asleep while Fig Newton tries to bother him. Also, Orange Cat usually doesn't respond to Fig's attacks beyond a paw or two back and the occasional meow.

Is this sort of behavior play or aggression?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the description, I'd guess it's playfulness. Or just plain old troublemaking.

True aggression comes with ears laid back - tail twitching in a very agitated fashion. Also, often the hair on the back stands up in a ridge.

Hissing and growling are forms of communication - they come with both play and aggression.

Batting on the head is usually a sign of dominance - but when one of our kitties wants to sit or lie down where another kitty is, they'll walk up and bat the cat there on the head. The response varies. A hiss and a growel usually sends the offening "batter" away. Sometimes they just get up and walk away - giving up the space.

Sometimes play ends up with someone upset, so the running and "tagging" can end up with growels and spits - but there's usually little harm actually done.

Sounds like Fig may be trying to get Orange to play - and sometimes he doesn't feel like it. A comfy ray of sunshine can be so much more inviting!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raskolnikov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link! Sorry I didn't do a thorough enough check to find it.

And thank you Laurie, for that useful information! I suppose I should tell the others in my house to not bother the two cats while they're interacting?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov

Thank you for the link! Sorry I didn't do a thorough enough check to find it.

And thank you Laurie, for that useful information! I suppose I should tell the others in my house to not bother the two cats while they're interacting?
Oh no, it took me a while to find it! I remembered it so well from the cute video!