Name Lola's breed - win points!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lola joined our family Monday night. Based on her behavior, we recognize herding dog in her. We don't see a lot of herding dog in her. She's 42 pounds (a little underweight) and about 8-12 months old. She can run really fast, appears to be able to jump and is highly agile. She is incredibly smart and learns through love - no need for biscuits to train this girl!

Anyone that can post a plausable breed in her wins points!! The closer to reality, the more points you'll win.

First day home (and a little shy). It was hard to take a picture of her at first as she tried her best to crawl into your lap:

A few days later with Muddy. She has a great smile:

With her brothers Sam and Spike (Lola is on the right and half their size):

Yesterday, running in her "pack" (she's on the right):

We adopted Lola from a shelter and she was spayed Monday morning before we picked her up. We're trying to control her movements by rewarding her calm behavior with a lot of love. It's working. No one knows her background as she was found roaming the streets. She had been debarked by her previous owners (jerks is too kind a word but this is a family friendly site), but they obviously spent a lot of time training her. She's an amazingly well behaved dog and only needs a little bit of guidance from us.

She's fascinated with all the critters in my house. She makes friends with anyone that will give her any time at all. She and Eightball sit in my lap together and groom each other. Eightball normally ignores dogs so it's a bit weird to see an 11 year old cat suddenly take to a dog.

felinelady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lola looks like a black lab mix to me, although I'm far from expert here.

I'd also like to give you the answer that my mother once received from the vet when she was inquiring about my sister's dog (who looked as if she were one part shih tzu and one part cocker spaniel): "Lovable"

Blessings,

Felinelady

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Anyone that can post a plausable breed in her wins points!! The closer to reality, the more points you'll win.
Ummmm... chihuahua?? It's certainly A breed so has to be worth a few points...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Felinelady

Lola looks like a black lab mix to me, although I'm far from expert here.

I'd also like to give you the answer that my mother once received from the vet when she was inquiring about my sister's dog (who looked as if she were one part shih tzu and one part cocker spaniel): "Lovable"

Blessings,

Felinelady
Black lab mix wins points!! I think every black mixed breed has to have some lab in them. Points are on their way!!

I set up an appointment at our vets for her and when they asked me her breed, I told them "black".

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks very similar to a lab x setter mix my grandmother had. Probably just because of the obvious lab looks.

She sounds like a great dog.
It's sad what her former owners put her through, though.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

She had been debarked by her previous owners (jerks is too kind a word but this is a family friendly site), but they obviously spent a lot of time training her. She's an amazingly well behaved dog and only needs a little bit of guidance from us.

She's fascinated with all the critters in my house. She makes friends with anyone that will give her any time at all. She and Eightball sit in my lap together and groom each other. Eightball normally ignores dogs so it's a bit weird to see an 11 year old cat suddenly take to a dog.
Awww I only just read the last part of the post. Poor Lola
Why would ANYONE deBARK a dog?!?!?!? I guess it's as mind blowing as declawing.

That's great she's getting on with everyone - particularly Eightball!

Oh and I have no real idea about breed. Don't know my dog breeds

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

She looks very similar to a lab x setter mix my grandmother had. Probably just because of the obvious lab looks.

She sounds like a great dog.
It's sad what her former owners put her through, though.
Clearly lab, not sure about setter. My other 2 dog's mother was a setter (they are littermates) and she is missing the lankiness in her body and the length in her snout. Good guess - points coming!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awww I only just read the last part of the post. Poor Lola
Why would ANYONE deBARK a dog?!?!?!? I guess it's as mind blowing as declawing.
We've heard 2 attempts at barking from her and they were really gutteral. She's eerily quiet and its a bit disconcerting at times. We are going to have our vet make sure that it isn't a throat injury rather than a debarking. The shelter just assumed she was debarked by the noise she makes.

Other than speutering, I'm just a firm believer of leaving an animal the way they came into the world. With claws, fangs, voicebox, ears and tail.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She's a real cutie, and I'd say she's mainly Lab. My family is "Lab happy", and they've had everything from light-boned and short-coated to heavy-boned and very shaggy. Lola's ears seem a bit too small for a Lab, but it might just be the photos.

One dog whom we all thought was a Lab/Shepherd mix, though, has turned out to be a Flat-Coated Retriever. I was rather shocked when I attended the annual Animal Fair here two or three years ago, turned a corner, and was suddenly confronted with over a dozen "Cheyennes". I showed Cheyenne's photos to several breeders/owners, and they all agreed that she was a "pet quality" Flat-Coated. I'd never even heard of the breed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
kelpie... field spaniel

no pts needed ..lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

She's a real cutie, and I'd say she's mainly Lab. My family is "Lab happy", and they've had everything from light-boned and short-coated to heavy-boned and very shaggy. Lola's ears seem a bit too small for a Lab, but it might just be the photos.
Her ears are true to the picture. They are way smaller than lab ears. Her snout is also not boxy enough for a lab.

Your story about the flat coated retriever is interesting. My DH found a picture of a breed whose head is remarkably similar to Lola's. I'm waiting for someone to confirm that.

Lab is repeated, but points for recognizing the "cute" breed!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I can see the black lab in her, but she has to have a smaller, more powerful breed in her too. Maybe Pit? Those hindquarters are powerful.

Whatever she is, Lola is a beautiful girl!!
Pittie crossed my mind at one point, but only based on her hind legs. I saw her make an attempt to jump in the yard. Since she was just spayed, she is moving slowly, but she could have easily jumped over Spike and was probably eye level to me. So yes, she has a small powerful breed in her.

We don't expect her to grow more than perhaps 10 pounds tops. She's already grown into her feet.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharky - Kelpie. I just looked up that breed in Wikipedia and the shape of her head is remarkably like the brown chocolate Kelpie on that page. Her ears are different. That would explain the herding instinct she seems to have. We were looking up other herding breeds and their heads are similarly shaped. Besides lab, I'd call that one very close.

This is fun. Not that I'm a fan of having a "breed". I'd like to call her something other than a "black dog".

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Erm....Lab/Sheltie or Lab/Border Collie?
(No points wanted or needed)

We had a sheltie mutt (mom was sheltie x, dad was ??) come in who looked marginally like her...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Erm....Lab/Sheltie or Lab/Border Collie?
(No points wanted or needed)

We had a sheltie mutt (mom was sheltie x, dad was ??) come in who looked marginally like her...
DH found a picture of a border collie. The face and ears were the exact shape as Lola's. Her snout isn't quite as long and thin as a sheltie's.

While she and Eightball are great buddies, I've actually seen her nip at his heels one time. He got up to leave her and she wanted him back where she was. The classic herding dog nip move. I stopped that behavior right then and there, but I am not letting the 2 of them together without supervision. I've not seen it since so I'm hopeful, but you never know how instinct will show itself.

So what we have so far is a possible lab / border collie / pittie / kelpie mix. I'm sure she has more!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG it's Sophie's TWIN SISTER!!!! Hahahahahah!!!

My Sophie is a Border Collie mix; we think with Lab and Shepard mainly.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

OMG it's Sophie's TWIN SISTER!!!! Hahahahahah!!!

My Sophie is a Border Collie mix; we think with Lab and Shepard mainly.

Yes, your Sophie DOES look like Lola!! She even sits like Lola. That is just too cool!!

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She also looks like our dog -- a lab -- border collie -- rottweiler mix. She's a cutie
Lola looks about the same size too.

Here's Bobo she'll be 15 in June.