Do only women read Jane Austen?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to a poll I took once, 93% of The Cat Site is populated by women. Sometimes I feel out of place.
DW has a Masters in British Lit and she has always touted Jane Austen. So, I finally read Pride & Prejudice. (She has the other five ready for me.) Hey! This is really fantastic writing! When I finished the book, I mentioned to DW that I was quite sure that 90% of the people reading Jane Austen were also women. She violently disagreed with me. So, what's the scoop?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
DH has read "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility". He enjoyed the 1st one more than the second. I've been trying to get him to read "Emma" but he has other books he wants to finish first.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

According to a poll I took once, 93% of The Cat Site is populated by women. Sometimes I feel out of place.
DW has a Masters in British Lit and she has always touted Jane Austen. So, I finally read Pride & Prejudice. (She has the other five ready for me.) Hey! This is really fantastic writing! When I finished the book, I mentioned to DW that I was quite sure that 90% of the people reading Jane Austen were also women. She violently disagreed with me. So, what's the scoop?
This has been an on going and contentious argument in my marriage for over four years. My husband loves Jane Austen. He believes that she is one of the best authors to ever put pen to paper. I can't stand her. So, to answer your question, no it's not only women that read her, and apparently it's not only women that like her either.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

. I can't stand her.
lol i will go with that one.
I had to read the classic 2. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility.

over all i found my econ book much better.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you went to college and took anything beyond Freshman Composition and Literature, you probably read at least one of the two.

Now, personally, I don't like Hemingway or Shakespeare, but that doesn't prove anything.

Degree in English (specializing in grammar and journalism) and French (specializing in ordering cheap white wine)