How DO you respond to this?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email from the sister of a friend. This is what she wrote:

Hi Sophie! I was talking to Chad earlier and we were discussing my cat, Fantasia. She is a beautiful silver tipped pure long haired persian. We got a small dog and she is no longer happy with us and Brook has developed allergies to cats. I would give her to someone who wants her and could give her the love and attention she needs. She does need brushing daily as she is a long haired cat. Would you or possibly someone you know be interested? Chad said you could maybe check with Ralph. She is about 12 years old and in good health. She is fixed and her front paws are declawed so she must be an indoors cat.
We are planning to go visit Chad for his 40th birthday in Atlanta! Thanks! Wanda

I find it hard to believe that her daughter suddenly developed an allergy to cats when they've had cats since her daughter was born....and she is now in her 20's. I'm not sure how to respond. I want to respond with how I really feel, but not in a rude manner. What do you all think?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all honesty - I'd gently and politely let her know that I thought she was making a mistake without being too judgemental, but if she doesn't change her mind I'd help her to find a good home for the cat. If she doesn't love it enough to want to keep it, then the best thing you can do is make sure it ends up somewhere it will be loved. Sad situation though.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that there is certainly more to it then what she is saying...However that said we have to consider what is best for the cat and obviously right now a new home is just that..

This reminds me a a similar situation I encounter a few months ago. The people who live across the street from me had this gorgeous ragdoll named Dorthy. The had had her for 10 years and then decided to get a small dog..
The dog was of coarse very energetic and cute as puppies are.
A few weeks after the dog arrived I asked the Lady how Dorthy liked it and the answer was.
She doesn't!!!!!
A few weeks after that I was speaking to her again and asked how the situation was progressing..
Her answer was "Oh we had to have Dorthy put down, to many behavioral problems."

There are worse then then re-homing your cat because it no longer convenient to have them...
My suggestion Help her find a new home for the kitty then tell her what you think.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would politely tell her your real opinion on the matter. Be sure to mention that the cat is now 12 years old, and probably is very bonded with the family. It's going to be so stressful for her to lose the only family she knows. I really don't see how her daughter could suddenly become allergic to something she has known her whole life. If she has suddenly developed allergies, it is probably to something that was recently added to the home. But more realisically they are probably just tired of the cat and want an easy out. People always use the excuse of allergies when they want to get rid of an animal, it's like allergies is the magic excuse that they think everyone will accept without question

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

In all honesty - I'd gently and politely let her know that I thought she was making a mistake without being too judgemental, but if she doesn't change her mind I'd help her to find a good home for the cat. If she doesn't love it enough to want to keep it, then the best thing you can do is make sure it ends up somewhere it will be loved. Sad situation though.
That is so sad. That cat deserves a loving home. Ugh, I am so sorry.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they're tired of the cat. Or the cat and dog are not getting along, they're not going to try to make peace in the house and the solution is to get rid of the kitty. Sigh... Do what you feel is right, but you're not going to punch holes in her story.

If you can help her rehome the cat and keep that beautiful girl from a terrible fate.... that would be awesome.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I would politely tell her your real opinion on the matter. Be sure to mention that the cat is now 12 years old, and probably is very bonded with the family. It's going to be so stressful for her to lose the only family she knows. I really don't see how her daughter could suddenly become allergic to something she has known her whole life. If she has suddenly developed allergies, it is probably to something that was recently added to the home. But more realisically they are probably just tired of the cat and want an easy out. People always use the excuse of allergies when they want to get rid of an animal, it's like allergies is the magic excuse that they think everyone will accept without question

Yea....is your friend's sister certain the daughter's allergies isn't from the DOG rather than the cat? Seems suspect to me and that the "old" cat is now boring compared to the new puppy so they're looking to dump the cat.
I grew out of that when I turned 15...

Anyhoo, just be honest in your reply to her. Perhaps suggest that they give the cat and dog a little more time to adjust to each other and explain that the cat has ruled the house for the last 12 years and the puppy is now "invading" her territory.

Also mention that there are plenty of OTC allergy meds and Rx meds that will help reduce her daughter's allergies in a few short days. One of our friends is very allergic to her 2 cats, but she loves them too much...so she takes meds for it. I still suspect its the dog though...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just take the kitty... and then tell them how sorry you are that they didn't value their companion of twelve years any more than this. And you might whack them a few good ones for declawing the poor thing, too.

Even if you can't keep the kitty, she'll be better off with you choosing her next home than those people.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that she wipe down the cat daily with distilled water. And point out that a 12 yr old cat has little chance of being rehomed at that age. And I might even question her "sudden" allergies too - maybe its the dog; or maybe its the combination of both pets. She was fine with one, but not with two.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remind me of an email I got from one of my friends about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had given her a kitten several years before that and they had a dog and another cat. "Suddenly" her stepson (a teenager) who spends limited time with them developed allergies and they had to find homes for all the animals. She asked if I wanted my cat back!!

It was so sad that she just had to do this.

I would suggest that her daughter get allergy tests to really see if she is allergic or if this is an excuse for something else going on in the household.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible to develop allergies at any time even well into adulthood. I suspect that the new puppy is getting all the attention and they are now tired of the adult cat though. I've seen this before, people love animals when they are babies and young adults but they want to get rid of them when they are older and get another baby.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it's totally possibly to develop allergies later on. I'm 22 and I just became allergic to flavored lip balms (stuff I've used for years, too!). So, it happens... I'm really sorry they have to give up their cat

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that the cat isn't getting along with the dog or vice versa. It's very sad and frustrating that they would rather find a home for the long time resident instead of finding a solution for the dog who has not yet had time to establish too strong of a bond. Why is it the cat that always gets booted and not the dog?

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother developed allergies to cats when I was younger and still living at home. Bless her heart. She stuck it out for years until my cat and I moved out. She would have never dreamed of asking me to get rid of a companion we'd had for years.

With that said it could be possible she does have allergies but as someone already mentioned there are meds she can take. However, if that were an option they were willing to consider they probabally would have done so already. Sounds like they're just bored with the cat now. What a way to repay a loyal, loving comapanion of 12 years. I would definately tell her I would help re-home the kitty and then once I had him/her in my possession I'd let her have it. If you tell her prior to getting the kitty you run the risk of her doing something drastic or lying about kitties whereabouts in order to save face. Good luck. Sending magic, kitten fairy dust your way in hopes you find that baby a good home.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I would just take the kitty... and then tell them how sorry you are that they didn't value their companion of twelve years any more than this. And you might whack them a few good ones for declawing the poor thing, too.

Even if you can't keep the kitty, she'll be better off with you choosing her next home than those people.

She'd be much better off with someone else who will really love her, than instead of being with someone who is only thinking of their own selfish intentions.

I hope the poor baby finds a good home with someone else.

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

My suggestion Help her find a new home for the kitty then tell her what you think.
I agree. It sounds like they got the puppy and decided that the poor cat doesn't fit their home anymore.

Talk about oblivious to the needs of a living creature that they took in and promosed to love and care for forever.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things. The first is that my allergist, when I told him that I had a
cat, decided that I should have allergy shots for the cat. Worked right away.
Second, the cat would be better off with some cat lover, IMO.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

My guess is that the cat isn't getting along with the dog or vice versa. It's very sad and frustrating that they would rather find a home for the long time resident instead of finding a solution for the dog who has not yet had time to establish too strong of a bond. Why is it the cat that always gets booted and not the dog?
Well, probably because one of the first questions a doctor will ask about allergies is "do you have a cat?"

But beyond that... Some people get drawn into the whole "OMG this this loves me with all its heart and NEEDS me soooo much" that dogs/puppies do... And forget that just cause the cat doesn't act like a dog doesn't mean it doesn't care.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother is going through something like that! He's had his cat for probably a good 18 years and his new women doesn't like his meowing and want to either throw him out or PTS the cat! Toonsis is his name! My brother said that he will go with the cat! He's actually going to leave her for the cat! I LOVE IT!!
He says he has a way better relationship with the kitty anyway! The cat has no teeth, no claws, and is completly unadoptable, so none of that is an option for him!

I would help her find a new kitty home, even though it will be devestating to the kitty who will be thinking "what did I do wrong??" The poor thing!! Get the kitty in your pocession and give her a piece of your mind... or maybe a piece of my mind! A cat is just like a child, you dont get them part way through life and bail out! Oh You're 5 you can take care of yourself doesn't cut it for me! People need to take care of their pets ALL the way through their wonderful lives!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I find it hard to believe that her daughter suddenly developed an allergy to cats when they've had cats since her daughter was born....and she is now in her 20's.
It's actually quite common- your body chemistry changes every 7 years or so. My boyfriend didn't grow up with cats, but had friends who had them and he never had a problem until he was 24 years old. Suddenly, he was SEVERELY allergic to cats; not just watery eyes, runny nose, but a full-blown asthma attack. I'm pretty sure if he had always been allergic, he would have noticed.

Anyway, he's 30 now and in the past year, he's noticed having less and less of a reaction to other people's cats (except Russian blues, any gray cat- he still can't breathe around them, strangely.) We got our cat on a "trial basis" and in the 2 months we've had him, he hasn't had a single reaction.