how many have 2 cats with 1 litterbox?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raven and Jack have shared 1 litterbox just fine. We used to have a jumbo pan and now we have a booda dome clean step.
How many others have 2 cats and just 1 litterbox? Does it work just fine?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 4 cats and 2 jumbo boxes. I used to have 3 boxes for them but they rarely used the third one so I put it up.

I think it just depends on the cats. If your 2 are happy with one box then go with it.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My three use one box...that I scoop twice a day. But none of mine are extremely dominant and the two kittens started sharing one when they were ~5 weeks old...so I think that helps.

I have two boxes right now (because I'm trying to switch them to FP pellets) but apparently they aren't falling for the new box, or it's pellets.

Art

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and one litterbox. We live in a small apartment so I don't think we could put another one somewhere else. I scoop once a day, at night, and it works out just fine.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

Raven and Jack have shared 1 litterbox just fine. We used to have a jumbo pan and now we have a booda dome clean step.
How many others have 2 cats and just 1 litterbox? Does it work just fine?
Yes, it works perfectly fine. In fact, we had a kitten living with us for six weeks who had her own litter box but she insisted on using the same litter box that the big cats did. So we had three using the same box!
That reminds me, I need to go scoop.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cats and one deep covered litter pan. They share it fine - no problems. However, I'll probably be getting a 2nd litter pan when Charlie's baby brother comes here (next year). I'm sure 3 cats won't want to share the same pan

Art - try mixing the litter and pellets together. Mine would not use plain pellets. But adding them a little more at a time to normal litter worked. Within a few weeks they were using the pellets without any extra litter.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 2 boys used to share one oversized litterbox for the both of them, it worked out fine. But since we've been heading home on the weekends more, we added another one, just because no one comes to scoop for us when we're gone & I like them to have 2. We haven't taken the 2nd one away, so now we have two

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had five cats sharing two large boxes when we lived in the RV and they were just fine, but I had to scoop a minimum of twice a day.

Laurie

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 cats and one jumbo.

They were all confined in one room.
I used WBCL and scooped 2 times.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two adult male (neutered) cats, one large litterbox. In fact, it's a deep storage box (plastic) that I got at Wal-Mart to cut down on the scattering.

The only problem we have is that whatever cat is NOT in the box will pounce on the one just finishing using it, causing a cat race. But they seem to like it, so what's the harm?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, OT... GK- I am, pellets on bottom a mix of FP scoop and papurr on top. It's devilishly hard to clean out that way. Thanks for the rec.
Art

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 boxes at home, but when I went to on a trip over the holidays and took them with me, they shared 1 box. I just made sure to clean it out twice a day.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two cats also share large covered litter box that I scoop twice a day. No problems at all. They are both female. The only problem I have is that the minute I finish scooping along comes one of the cats to use it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 using one large rubbermaid tub. Scooped 2x a day. 2 large rubbermaid tubs downstairs for 6.....plus two XL extra deep boxes set up for Bea, they use whichever one is in the room she isn't in currently. Scoop all 2x a day, if not 3-4x.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats and two large covered litter pans at the moment. I origionally had 5 litter pans- one for each cat plus an extra as recommeneded....however my cats never used the other 3. I slowly took away one litter pan at a time and we are down to just two now- they seem perfectly happy- since they never used the extra ones i thought it would be ok to just use two pans.
I scoop daily and we don't have any problems

hank_n_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the moment I have 2. One large main one and a meduim sized one that doesn't get used much. They have had only the large one before and were just fine with it. The only reason we have 2 is for if they get locked in the bedroom over night or during the day. If it matters they are a male and female, both fixed.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats sharing one litter box. It is the size of a bathtub though and I scoop it twice a day.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

My two cats also share large covered litter box that I scoop twice a day. No problems at all. They are both female. The only problem I have is that the minute I finish scooping along comes one of the cats to use it.
2 indoor kittens, share large covered box too. shinobi always, always uses the box the minute i have cleaned it out. i have to scoop as soon as it's been used or else he will go elsewhere, like in my plants
. he just likes a clean bathroom, nothing wrong with that!