....YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of
your time www.donotcall.gov

It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell
phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a
different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

It takes about 20 seconds.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize you're trying to help by passing on what seems to be valuable information, but as Fran pointed out, it's simply not true.
www.snopes.com is a great resource to tell if those emails you're getting are really true or not.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Better yet...just don't answer your phone if you don't recognise the number...especially if it comes up as an out of state number!!! I never answer numbers I don't know...Lol!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright guys, I didn't get nothing off of snopes! Someone wanna copy and paste it for me! And from what the number tells me it take 31 days for your number to be off the list!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's what it told me too.

It's a .gov site, I don't think it's a hoax.

I could be wrong....wouldn't be the first or last time.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The website is definitely real, as is the phone number - it really is the Do Not Call registry. But cell phone numbers are NOT being released, and there is no need to register cell phones.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looky what I found on the donotcall website! hehe

What Phone Numbers Can I Register?
Can I register my cell phone on the National Do Not Call Registry?
Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The website is definitely real, as is the phone number - it really is the Do Not Call registry. But cell phone numbers are NOT being released, and there is no need to register cell phones.
Yes you're right...I still registered mine in the DNC list due to the fact that I use to use it as my main line...this is the first time that I've had a "home" phone in 6-7 years.

Usually though if you tell them its a cell phone number they'll hang up on you. I've been in a couple of arguments though with telemarketers because they told me since I'm using the cell phone as the main number all bets were off. I responded that until the FCC mandates that, it's still a cell phone. So I registered just in case...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

This comes around on a regular basis, and is still untrue.

The www.donotcall.gov list definitely works, but is only for home phones - they can't ring cell phones. If telemarketers really were going to be given cell phone numbers, it'd be all over the news.

And here's the snopes link - http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
I get telemarketing calls on my cell phone at least once or twice a week. I just don't answer them. I looked up the numbers though & they are telemarketing numbers, who have contacted other cell phone numbers as well & people have reported them.

I should register my cell phone number though, just because its my main number, I don't have a land line

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I get telemarketing calls on my cell phone at least once or twice a week. I just don't answer them. I looked up the numbers though & they are telemarketing numbers, who have contacted other cell phone numbers as well & people have reported them.

I should register my cell phone number though, just because its my main number, I don't have a land line
Mine is registered as well, because it's my main.
It definitely couldn't hurt to do it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in the list industry, and I put my own cell phone number on the DNC list even though I know for a fact that there are no plans to make cell phone numbers public. Just to be covered - you don't know who had that number before you did.

At one time, one of the service providers was compiling a directory that they had planned to make commercially available, but they have since dropped those plans.

There has been talk within the industry of the rise of text message marketing, and that may move forward with verve, but cell phone numbers at this time and for the future will not be made available for telemarketing list rental.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I registered my cell. (i use it as my home phone too so i don't want anyone calling me that shouldn't be.)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Thank you for this information. I had always wondered when this was going to happen!
You may want to read the rest of the thread