Is anyone here computer savy and know the old dos?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to play an old dos game by using dosbox. I have already downloaded the game and unzipped the files. However, I can't mount the c: drive!!! I have got through three different tutorials and it just wont' do it.

Can anyone help me? I would love to be able to play this game more than anything, but I can't get anywhere without the right drive!! Help!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not I, but I did ask a friend for you. He says you "you mount the folder you dumped your dos games in as the C drive in dosbox". Sounds simple enough.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, her DH is right. So if you saved it in c:\\dosgame, you type at >mount c:\\dosgame and run the exe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typed that, but it still would not work even after three tutorials. I am at a loss and very frustrated. I followed step for step, but it's not changing the drive like it is suppose to.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm having the exact same problem right now! I'm trying to play The Secret of Monkey Island...I downloaded dosbox a couple of hours ago and can't figure it out. Yeeshh...I remember back in the day when I had that game on floppy disc...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

Wow, I'm having the exact same problem right now! I'm trying to play The Secret of Monkey Island...I downloaded dosbox a couple of hours ago and can't figure it out. Yeeshh...I remember back in the day when I had that game on floppy disc...
I am SO glad I am not the only one who has this problem. It is so simple, yet it does not want to work! I'm trying to play champions of Krynn.
If I could just get the c drive to mount.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry! When you said mount I was thinking as in mounting an external drive (like you did with Zip drives in tha day)

Are you doing from the initial prompt (assuming from an XP box):

c:\\Documents and Settings\\Your Name> cd \\

Then it will go to:

c:\\>

From there you can type the name of the folder location where the .exe is at:

c:\\>cd folder\\folder\\folder

I find it a lot easier on the mind to just create a folder in the Root drive (C), then navigate to there via the DOS prompt.

c:\\>cd dosgame

Then it should change to:

c:\\dosgame>

Once you're there, type the name of the EXE file:

c:\\dosgame>dosgame.exe

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Sorry! When you said mount I was thinking as in mounting an external drive (like you did with Zip drives in tha day)

Are you doing from the initial prompt (assuming from an XP box):

c:\\Documents and Settings\\Your Name> cd \\

Then it will go to:

c:\\>

From there you can type the name of the folder location where the .exe is at:

c:\\>cd folder\\folder\\folder

I find it a lot easier on the mind to just create a folder in the Root drive (C), then navigate to there via the DOS prompt.

c:\\>cd dosgame

Then it should change to:

c:\\dosgame>

Once you're there, type the name of the EXE file:

c:\\dosgame>dosgame.exe
I saved the zip file in a folder named champkrynn. The champkrynn file is saved in a master folder called dosgames where both are under the c drive. The dosbox stars in the z drive. I tried what you suggested, but still nothing.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!

I Loved playing the Secret of Monkey Island as a kid!!!!

If I were going to be a pirate, Guybrush Threepwood would be the one..... well Meathook was cool too!!

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say "nothing happens".... what exactly happens after keying in .exe file?

When you get to the dosgame directory, Type "dir/p" and scroll thru all the files on the directory and find the .exe file and make sure you are entering correctly.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I solved my problem!

1. I found an awesome website called Boomtown.net and I quickly joined as a member for free. You can download a ton of games there!
2. I downloaded their recommended program called ScummVM. It seems way easier to use than Dosbox.
3. I downloaded The Secret of Monkey Island from Boomtown.net
4. I used winzip to extract ALL of the Monkey Island files into my ScummVM folder.
5. I opened ScummVM and easily added Monkey Island to my game list.
6. I played!!!

I can't believe how easy it was!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koodeez

When you say "nothing happens".... what exactly happens after keying in .exe file?

When you get to the dosgame directory, Type "dir/p" and scroll thru all the files on the directory and find the .exe file and make sure you are entering correctly.
I'm not at home at the moment so I can't type exactly what it says. However, it will say that the c drive has to be mounted first. I'll post it once I get home.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Is the file still zipped?

Unzip it. Then you shouldn't have anymore issues.
Yes, it is unzipped by winzip and in it's own folder. It shows each individual file seperately.

Originally Posted by Nimbus

So I solved my problem!

1. I found an awesome website called Boomtown.net and I quickly joined as a member for free. You can download a ton of games there!
2. I downloaded their recommended program called ScummVM. It seems way easier to use than Dosbox.
3. I downloaded The Secret of Monkey Island from Boomtown.net
4. I used winzip to extract ALL of the Monkey Island files into my ScummVM folder.
5. I opened ScummVM and easily added Monkey Island to my game list.
6. I played!!!

I can't believe how easy it was!
Thanks! I may just try that! I hope that it works either way and has the games I like.