What would you suggest? :)

missykittystars

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey there

I'm having a tough time with collars, I'm always little worried about them round my babys necks, they are both chipped, but a collar and tag brought a baby safe home to me once, so I can't do without them,

Missy is fine with collars never loses them, Simba on the other hand is such an adventure kitty
he loves playing in the grass and jumping around all kinds of places, i bought these safe cat collars for them for a long time at, www.kittycollars.co.uk

but he keeps losing them, the clasp is extremely lose, i bought a new one which arrived for him yesterday he lost it within hours
I noticed with them because there only adjustable you can't cut any excess off, you get a double loop as he has a smallish neck, im wondering if he's discovered a way t o put his paw in and pull it down, wouldn't suprize me,

I used to buy these collars a long time ago named simba collars, they have a nice elasticated breakaway on those, he didnt lose these so much, but are they as safe as the safecat collars, i'm nervous about it, heres a link to some which are on ebay so you can see what i mean
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIMBA-SNAG-PRO...QQcmdZViewItem

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use the breakaways over the ones with elastic, I've seen cats get their leg through and not be able to get out while the breakaway one does just that, break away.

If Simba has a small neck perhaps you can find a kitten sized collar for him.

filteredsunlite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the safety collars on Katie, Marrs and Jewel. But I had the same issue with Tiger...he'd have the safety collars off in a matter of minutes! He actually managed to loose one and frankly I'd like to know how/where as he's only an inside kitty! I expected to find it when moved and pulled out the all the furniture, but nope! It's gone! Poof!! He had one for about 6 months...it was a pumpkin-orange color with a rather hard to open clasp...I think it came from a PetSmart. But one day I found it on the livingroom floor, too. I finally said, "Okay, buddy-boy, you've never so much as peeked out the front door, so don't start now! Your microchip alone will have to do!" (And he truly is so terribly skiddish that I don't foresee him ever getting outside.) I can sympathize, but other than trying to find a collar with a hard to open clasp to the point where it would open only if he were snagged on something and seriously fighting to get loose, I don't have much to offer in the way of solutions.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally swear by beastie bands. I've used the breakaways before, and found that my contortionist Jinx had managed to get his lower jaw under it, which blew my mind in itself, b/c I was positive I had it just tight enough so that couldn't happen, and I had even watched him for the longest time, and was confident that he couldn't do it. Now I will never put another type of collar on my cats.

You can cut the beastie band to fit perfectly also.

Bailey modeling his beastie band collar :-)

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I would use the breakaways over the ones with elastic, I've seen cats get their leg through and not be able to get out while the breakaway one does just that, break away.

If Simba has a small neck perhaps you can find a kitten sized collar for him.

Just last week there was a programe on BBC1 about the RSPCA showing the horrific injury caused by one of the so called safety collars with the elastic insert. A cat had some how got it`s leg through the collar and it had cut right into it`s arm pit causing massive infection. They said they see that kind of injury a lot with the collars with elastic

Can`t see the one on e-bay but I`d get the ones that the plastic clasp undoes when pulled.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't use the "safety collars" with the plastic locks anymore because after putting advantage on one of the kittens, it some how had a chemical reaction with one of those and MELTED the plastic clip, attaching it to the kitten's hair... So, we avoid those now.

I don't keep their collars on them while in the house, but I bought some on Amazon.com that are made out of climbing rope and break apart if pulled. They are adjustable with a slide mechanism.

Art

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen that kitty collars website before and it looks great. I would stick with the breakfree ones as well even though they open easy.

I was testing some a couple of weeks ago of another brand and they didn't open quick enough for me so i passed on them, but i think i might get the girls a bright pink one from that website

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like the Beastie Bands. You can find them here in the UK: http://www.furbabyfur.co.uk/index.ph...products_id=10

I generally use collars with the break-away type clasps, but not like the ones in the posted link. The ones I use look like the normal plastic clasps (like this) except they are break-away. The ones I have bought like this are strong enough to hold up under normal use, including use by an active kitten who likes to wrestle with other kittens, yet will release in an emergency.

I also have one of the ones someone mentioned from Amazon which are made out of climbing-type rope. It seems to work pretty well also.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i used the Beastie Bands for a long time - & still use them for kittens, since they can be cut to fit. that's what Firefox started out with. now she [& the others] have Ragtime collars. they're all cotton [Pixel seems to be allergic to the synthetic nylon type] & come in a WIDE array of fabrics. if you don't see a fabric you like, she'll custom make one for you in a different fabric. she has kitten-sized, regular, & large. Pixel & Chip both have larges, the others have regular.
BTW, the link i posted for Beastie Bands allows you to choose the collar color as well as the pattern - many do not!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i used the Beastie Bands for a long time - & still use them for kittens, since they can be cut to fit. that's what Firefox started out with. now she [& the others] have Ragtime collars. they're all cotton [Pixel seems to be allergic to the synthetic nylon type] & come in a WIDE array of fabrics. if you don't see a fabric you like, she'll custom make one for you in a different fabric. she has kitten-sized, regular, & large. Pixel & Chip both have larges, the others have regular.
BTW, the link i posted for Beastie Bands allows you to choose the collar color as well as the pattern - many do not!
Riley wears the ragtime collars as well. It is SO lightweight that it doesn't bother him to wear it at all. I have a flat tag with his info attached to it like this one but ragtime will embroider your phone number directly on the collar as well.