cattery question

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have never used one before. was wondering what thing's need to be done, before i put my cat in one for a week?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cattery or a boarding place. Cattery is usually a term for breeders who have their own cats. Boarding is where you would bring your cat for a vacation, etc.

So I'm assuming you are talking about a boarding place. I think they require the cats to be up to date on shots and rabies. Some I think you can bring your own food if your cat is fed something special cause a change in food can cause problems.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the best thing for you to do is to call around the places in your area and just ask a few questions. I work for a dog boarding facility and on a daily basis we get calls that are "I've never boarded my pet and just want to know some information." Almost every boarding facilities have their own sets of rules, so that would be the only way to find out exactly what you will need! And any place like that will be glad to take the time and answer any questions you may have! (and if they dont then I wouldnt want my kitties staying there IMO!) Good luck finding the perfect vacation for your kitties!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Cattery is usually a term for breeders who have their own cats.
Well, that depends on where you live we use Cattery for boarding & breeding.

I agree with ringing a few places and visiting some if you can, if not ask a vet (or friends) for a recommendation.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A cattery or a boarding place. Cattery is usually a term for breeders who have their own cats. Boarding is where you would bring your cat for a vacation, etc.
In the UK, we use the term cattery to mean a boarding cattery.

Your cats will need to be up to date with vaccinations and flea treatment and will need to be neutered if over 6 months. If you want to put them in a cattery during a school holiday then be aware that good catteries get booked up long in advance so don't leave it until the last minute to book them in.

I don't know whether you've got a specific cattery sorted out yet, but if not FAB have a good guide on what to look for in a cattery. There are some excellent boarding catteries and some that I wouldn't leave my cats in if you paid me. Above all, trust your instincts regarding both the place and the staff. Make sure they seem to really care about cats and don't just see it as a business.

http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/inf...g_cattery.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i did some research. emailed a couple of place's, now i've found the perfect one hehe! am going to go have a look some point next week, & if i think it's good, then i'll put down a deposit.

from what it look's like on the site, am very impressed!

http://www.jaxcats.co.uk

have a look, & let me know what you all think

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - that's a cool looking place
I'm sure they will be fine there. Only question I would ask is how they disinfect those cat trees being part carpet.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks great

Only question I would ask is how they disinfect those cat trees being part carpet.
I would guess the cat tree in one of the pics belongs to the cat and not the cattery. I take my boys' cat tree with them when they go to a cattery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

It looks great

I would guess the cat tree in one of the pics belongs to the cat and not the cattery. I take my boys' cat tree with them when they go to a cattery.
yeh, i was going to say that. i'd take my own aswel

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that's the case, then fine - didn't know if it was brought in or was one the facilty uses - thanks for the clarification