Shaving cat a good idea??

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that some people shave their long haired cats during the summer to help with the heat. My apartment gets really hot in the summertime. Would it be better for him if he was shaved, or is it un-necessary? I don't want to upset him if its not needed.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat doesn't have matting problems, and isn't a persian, then I would NOT suggest that you shave him.

Add ice cubes to his water dish when it's really hot, and provide a fan if you have no a/c so that the air is circulated, but other than that, you needn't worry.

Most cats are heat-seeking missiles anyway - I never use a/c, and even during heatwaves, my furballs haven't complained.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's a Himalayan, and doesn't usually have matting problems. I usually just brush him one or twice a week and that all he needs.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Most cats are heat-seeking missiles anyway
Yep, I rarely put the a/c on and last weekend when it was 41c the cats chose to sleep right in the sun all 3 cuddled up together

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

He's a Himalayan, and doesn't usually have matting problems. I usually just brush him one or twice a week and that all he needs.
I have a Himalayan (see upper left picture) who gets combed, not brushed every day. I cannot imagine doing him less often. If you are not doing your cat that often, I can see the reason for your question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only brush(I mean comb) once to twice a week because that's really all be needs. I run my hands all over his coat every day though to make sure there are no tangles and he gets a good bath every month.
I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't overheat during the summer months. He is my first long-haired cat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who does that. Her cat was born in a barn to a feral cat but he looks turkish van. His mane has been measured at 6 inches long so he really has long hair. Since they don't have air conditioning, and he also has some skin issues, she has him shaved in the spring. His skin issues act up when he is overheated so they are doing this for a medical reason. She also lives in a much warmer climate area than you do. She has 2 other long haired cats and she doesn't bother to shave them. It's not really necessary.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Persians (btw Himmies are Persians) and I never shave mine in the summer and they do just fine. Then again I have air conditioning and the apartment is not usually over 80 degrees F. However, if your apartment gets over 80 degress F then you may want to watch for signs of overheating and then consider getting a shave.