OTC and prescription drug interactions...learned a lesson yesterday

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a Mucinex DM tablet yesterday morning at work. By 11, I was making plans to go home for the rest of the day.

I became very light-headed, dizzy, and unfocused. I would look at the computer screen and everything seemed to be bouncing. I went home and laid on the couch until around 9 p.m. and anytime I got up, blood rushed to my head and I felt dizzy all over again.

What I didn't know was that the Mucinex DM and my antidepressant weren't playing nicely together. I learned this morning that any drug with dextromethorphan in it is NOT good for those taking antidepressants!!

Note to self: double-check drug interactions before taking ANYTHING in the future.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antidepressants tend to interact with a lot of stuff.

When you stood up, that wasn't the blood rushing to your head, gravity does not allow this, it was the blood rushing from it. I deal with 24/7, so I know it can be upsetting or even downright scary.

My guess it is messed with your blood pressure, temporarily lowering it for a while. ( I think some antidepressants can do this in some people already)

Are you feeling better today? Has the dizziness completely passed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Antidepressants tend to interact with a lot of stuff.

When you stood up, that wasn't the blood rushing to your head, gravity does not allow this, it was the blood rushing from it. I deal with 24/7, so I know it can be upsetting or even downright scary.

My guess it is messed with your blood pressure, temporarily lowering it for a while. ( I think some antidepressants can do this in some people already)

Are you feeling better today? Has the dizziness completely passed?
I'm feeling much better today and the dizziness is gone.
I am feeling jittery (and dealing with post-nasal drip), though. But other than that, I feel OK.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Just took Mucinex off the list of over-the-counter drugs for me. Glad you are okay.
Regular Mucinex should be fine, it's the DM version that did that to me.
Just watch for that drug (dextromethorphan).

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I took a Mucinex DM tablet yesterday morning at work. By 11, I was making plans to go home for the rest of the day.

I became very light-headed, dizzy, and unfocused. I would look at the computer screen and everything seemed to be bouncing. I went home and laid on the couch until around 9 p.m. and anytime I got up, blood rushed to my head and I felt dizzy all over again.

What I didn't know was that the Mucinex DM and my antidepressant weren't playing nicely together. I learned this morning that any drug with dextromethorphan in it is NOT good for those taking antidepressants!!

Note to self: double-check drug interactions before taking ANYTHING in the future.
That's good to know because I take antidpressants. Mine is a SSRI though. Most things interact with MAOIs. There is a website call drugs.com that you can check for drug interactions. Even on over the counter stuff.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^There's a site called rxlist.com that has information on side effects, possible interactions, and studies done.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

That's good to know because I take antidpressants. Mine is a SSRI though. Most things interact with MAOIs. There is a website call drugs.com that you can check for drug interactions. Even on over the counter stuff.
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^There's a site called rxlist.com that has information on side effects, possible interactions, and studies done.
Yeah, I looked it up after the fact.
I made a terrible assumption and paid the price for it. You better believe I won't do that again!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought that a couple of weeks ago when Neil had his cold!! He has one prescription I'll look it up for interactions.