Breach of LEASE!!!!!!

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so some of you know we've been having issues with the people living above us. Well we've been calling the courtsey line at night when they begin to stomp around yet go figure as soon as the guys get there they stop. We got a letter saying that they were going to come in our place and above and see if the floor boards are loose because they couldn't verify the noise. Well they called my SO and said that because of the cat being there they couldn't do the walk. She needs to be put away. Where is she going to go and what harm is she? They said they needed all doors open. Then around 7 here comes courtsey with another letter from management saying that we didn't let them know about the cat and it's a violation of the lease agreement cuz it says on our lease we didn't have any pets. We have 10 days to fix this or we get kicked out.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What?? Did they know about the cat, and now they are pulling that on you? Is it a no-pet building?

Oh no, I"m sending so many vibes your way for this to work itself out... what stress you must be under right now
Hang in there and be strong...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the lease specifically say "No Pets Allowed"? Contact them over this. If that's not in the lease or if there's nothing in there saying you must inform them about any pets you get, then they can't kick you out for it. Maybe a lawyer (or suggest that you will be getting one) could get things straightened out?
As for where to keep your cat during the time they do the walk through - would a pet carrier in the bathroom be too much trouble?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

If it is indeed on the lease, is there an extra fee for having a cat (or a dog)?
Pets are allowed but the fee is ridiculous. When we signed the lease we didn't have Skye. She was a birthday gift and it was months after we moved in so we didn't figure it was a big deal to let them know about her.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest would be to talk to them about paying the fee from the time you had the cat and to do so for the rest of the lease. I know it can add up but it's an option that can be explored. Other than moving I can't think of anything else.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a lawyer, but I am an experienced law librarian, and it seems to me that, unfortunately, they are legally in the right. From what I know of at least WV landlord/tenant law, you should have contacted your landlord about the cat as soon as you knew you were getting one to be sure that they would allow you to add the pet fee. (They would have been within their rights to say, 'No, we can't alter the lease once agreed to.')

At this point, your only option is to eat humble pie for the landlord and hope that they will let you add the pet fee to the lease or give you more time to find alternative accomodations.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I'm not a lawyer, but I am an experienced law librarian, and it seems to me that, unfortunately, they are legally in the right. From what I know of at least WV landlord/tenant law, you should have contacted your landlord about the cat as soon as you knew you were getting one to be sure that they would allow you to add the pet fee. (They would have been within their rights to say, 'No, we can't alter the lease once agreed to.')

At this point, your only option is to eat humble pie for the landlord and hope that they will let you add the pet fee to the lease or give you more time to find alternative accomodations.
I agree with this. We rent out our other home and if someone broke the contract then i'd be pretty upset about it if they weren't following the guidelines. The rules are there in place to benifit both the renters and the landlords. Violating them, even if it seems innocent at the time is not going to do any good. I think you may need to just politely offer to pay the pet deposit. It's not fair that other people pay their pet deposit and others do not there.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Im so sorry!! Thats terrible! Unfortunatly they have the right to give you the boot! I got 5 days one time to get out of somewhere because "we had outgrown our house" I was 8 months pregnant and had 2 kids already and was living in a 2 bedroom house that was itty bitty! In that case the landlord was in the wrong but still managed to screw me over! She never did return my deposit! I moved out the same night I got the notice and never looked back. She then had the utilities turned back on in my name because she went back to her lawyer and had them switch the notice to 30 days, well since I was already moved out there was no way I was gonna pay. Getting kicked out of a house with a 8 month old baby, a 2 year old, and being 8 months pregnant sucks! I really hope you get everything straightened out!! Good luck hon!!