Filing Claws?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here file claws instead of or in addition to cutting them? I bought a nail file at PetCo today and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. It's really large, but I do have a small file on the side of the pet styptic powder container that I have.

I can cut Chloe's claws pretty easily but I'm so nervous about getting too close to the quick and hurting her that I don't cut them as short as the vet does. I was thinking maybe I could just file the rest down.

So does anyone do this?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't want to get nails cut and won't sit still for very long. IMO trying to make them stay still for longer then it takes to cut them with clippers is not worth it to try and file them down.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, too much IMHO. I just give them their trimming and send them on their way. All of my kids tolerate their trimmings without too much fuss, a few growl the entire time, or wiggle a bit. I know they tolerate me doing it b/c it is over quickly. I wouldn't subject them to filing. And I honestly don't see a reason to do it.

Now with my dogs it's a different story, I dremel their nails rather then clip them, it totally eliminates the sharp or rough edges. Plus I can keep their nails much shorter that way.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be careful with using a Dremel tool! These spin much too fast creating a lot of friction and heat. You can actually burn the quick. Perhaps looking for a similar tool that spins at a slower rpm and is designed for human toe nails would be a safer choice.

Back to the main question. I've filed Sho's a little bit when he's had a claw that split a bit while clipping, but that's only one or two claws occasionally and he's a very very tolerant cat. I wouldn't attempted it on my other one... he'd think the file was a toy and want to play.

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most cats don't want to get nails cut and won't sit still for very long. IMO trying to make them stay still for longer then it takes to cut them with clippers is not worth it to try and file them down.
My cat nail clippers came with a file, but I've never used it. It's hard enough clipping their claws, I'm lucky to get four claws at a time. What's the benefit to filing them? As long as they aren't like needles or scalpels its short enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

My cat nail clippers came with a file, but I've never used it. It's hard enough clipping their claws, I'm lucky to get four claws at a time. What's the benefit to filing them? As long as they aren't like needles or scalpels its short enough.
I'm lucky to get 2 at a time

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Please be careful with using a Dremel tool! These spin much too fast creating a lot of friction and heat. You can actually burn the quick. Perhaps looking for a similar tool that spins at a slower rpm and is designed for human toe nails would be a safer choice.
I've been using the dremel for about 7 years now on my dogs, but thanks, I'll keep it in mind

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I file mine sometimes. I just use a regular fingernail file. I just had my last unneutered cat fixed and I was a little shocked by how short they clipped his nails. I dont usually clip too often and when I do file its usually just that dew claw (are they called that on cats?) anyhow, its a little bit of a hassle but sometimes I can get then while theyre snoozing and I prefer it to clipping, no splitting or anything uncomfortable like that.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only time I've filed their nails, was a couple months ago... I bought a scissor-style clipper for cats (from target) that came with a file... The clippers were crappy and didn't clip the nails neatly resulting in raggedy edges (so I used the file on those to avoid any parts getting hung and pulling the nail apart). After using that a few times, I figured that was why they included the file with the clippers... I have since moved on to a pair by millers forge and it is awesome. No raggedy edges, so no file needed.

Art